• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s SACD input

Procoholic

Hi
Hope you can help

Thought I would purchase a second hand SACD player (Denon DVD1920) which I now have
Being clever I thought I would output the Denon optical to the D10s and use the D10s converter by passing the Denon.....hoping this would be clever

Purchased optical cable...opps just realised no input into the Topping D10

Now I cant find out how good the DA converter is inside the Denon DVD1920 but I was assuming the D10s would be better.

I use my MacBook with Audivarna not the D10s but thought if I have a SACD player then am getting pure audio signal and can convert it through the D10s

My question is
1 Is there a workaround to connect optical out into the D10
2 If I purchased a new DAC (Modi3) would I notice any difference between using the Denons DA converter or the Modi3

Much appreciated

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
1) nope, would require e.g. E30 (note: SACD output, if any, will be downsampled to 48 kHz at best due to copy protection concerns, and SPDIF data rate will only ever allow for AC-3 or DTS multichannel audio out)
2) seems at least dubious unless you've got some degraded muting transistors (which is the only part of the circuit that's raising eyebrows here; it must be different from what's shown in the service manual as there is nothing for a -1.0 V on the muting transistor base to come from in unmuted state, so some investigation of the real deal would be required). The DSD1608 DAC looks like an OK part from its datasheet, DAC + output stage would be good for a dynamic range of ~105-106 dB so there must be other factors limiting the dynamic range spec to 98 dB. (The S/N spec of 115 dB must be referring to muted state, there's no way in hell that's happening with a 108 dB DAC.) THD+N of 0.004% (-88 dB) is worse than DAC spec but still nothing immediately concerning.

The output stage employs a NJM4580, quite lightly loaded, at a gain of -1.5 as far as the audible range is concerned, so output full-scale voltage should be 4 Vpp x 1.5 = 6 Vpp (2.1 Vrms), leaving even a tiny bit of headroom though not that much (supply = +9.8 V & 0 V, NJM4580 can drive 6.6 Vpp into 300 ohms at +9V so here it should be at least 7.4 Vpp = +1.8 dB headroom).

You may want to check whether rips of your SACDs already exist out there. Alternatively, check market prices for a higher-end model like a DVD-3910 or -3930 perhaps (though I read they not uncommonly require a new pickup).

What was the point of the whole exercise anyway? I don't get what you mean by
I use my MacBook with Audivarna not the D10s but thought if I have a SACD player then am getting pure audio signal and can convert it through the D10s
o_O

repsych

Hello, the DSD stream cannot be output from an SACD player via SPDIF (coaxial or optical cables). The disc player must either convert the digital signal to analog or send it out encrypted to a receiver via iLink (IEEE1394/Firewire), Denon-Link (RJ-45) or HDMI version 1.2a onwards.

Top Bottom