• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s + iPhone X + Spotify: only 44.1KHz

D

Deleted member 43441

I don’t think anything is wrong… I think your DAC is displaying what is being input.

D

Deleted member 43441

This is all I got on iPhone X / iOS15.02 (yes I need to update ☺️)

The iPhone X is a good phone, nothing wrong with that. It’s Apple forcing us to upgrade lol, but I’m not doing it yet, mine is 2+ years old and I’m staying with it.

D

Deleted member 43441

I was in the Netherlands before, on my way to Africa… that was the halfway point. I flew KLM airlines, Sadly I never made it out of the airport, but it looks like a beautiful country flying in.

OP
R

RolfNoot

The iPhone X is a good phone, nothing wrong with that. It’s Apple forcing us to upgrade lol, but I’m not doing it yet, mine is 2+ years old and I’m staying with it.
I mean upgrade the iOS. And yes Apple is forcing, I start noticing lags with scrolling, which I never had before. tThat’s why I still use the older iOS.

OP
R

RolfNoot

I don’t think anything is wrong… I think your DAC is displaying what is being input.
I think it’s displaying the sample-rate and not the bitrate. So it should be fine indeed.

The DAC does not have any buttons and I wonder if it can display bitrate.

D

Deleted member 43441

I mean upgrade the iOS. And yes Apple is forcing, I start noticing lags with scrolling, which I never had before. tThat’s why I still use the older iOS.

I’m running IOS 15.3, But yes I can always tell when Apple’s ready to update, it starts lagging.

I have to run,,I hope this gets straightened out for you, have a good night.

D

Deleted member 43441

I think it’s displaying the sample-rate and not the bitrate. So it should be fine indeed.

The DAC does not have any buttons and I wonder if it can display bitrate.

Probably from the remote, everything may be controlled from that. I’m not familiar with your DAC, my Topping‘s have buttons on the front. That being said, everything has to be available from your remote.

Got a run enjoy your night.

OP
R

RolfNoot

I was in the Netherlands before, on my way to Africa… that was the halfway point. I flew KLM airlines, Sadly I never made it out of the airport, but it looks like a beautiful country flying in.
Next time, plan a few days in Amsterdam, it’s great!

staticV3

Master Contributor
DAC's don't know about Bitrate, they can't display it. Only sample rate, bit depth, channel count, PCM or DSD.

Spotify doesn't offer anything higher than 44.1kHz. That's the highest you can get regardless of what audio quality you selected in Spotify's settings.

Spotify uses AAC encoding with an "equivalent" bit rate of 24, 96, 160, 320kbps, depending on the audio quality option. See here: https://support.spotify.com/us/article/audio-quality/

Last edited:
OP
R

RolfNoot

Thanks. Yes, I came to that conclusion. If I am right, the decoder is inside the Spotify app and it just spits out the decompressed audio at 44.1KHz.

Thanks a lot for the insights!

:)

Dumdum

You don’t have a setting for audio quality while on Wi-Fi?

This is what my iPhone 11 max shows;
That’s Apple Music only… not Spotify or any other app

To the OP Spotify is mp3 effectively, it’s reading 44.1khz but isn’t cd quality as it’s compressed and then unwrapped again

Basically poor quality vs tidal or qobuz

Don’t get me started on Amazon and it’s upsampling of everything… or android and it’s god awful audio layer that resamples everything to 48khz

D

Deleted member 43441

That’s Apple Music only… not Spotify or any other app

To the OP Spotify is mp3 effectively, it’s reading 44.1khz but isn’t cd quality as it’s compressed and then unwrapped again

Basically poor quality vs tidal or qobuz

Don’t get me started on Amazon and it’s upsampling of everything… or android and it’s god awful audio layer that resamples everything to 48khz

I assumed that was the case, but you want to have it turned on anyway.

I had Tidal and I liked how it worked and especially it’s interface, I just don’t like MQA.

I couldn’t get past Qobuz’s strange interface, and just didn’t like it.

Hard to believe, but many android phones, and android players don’t play well with Hi-Res Well they didn’t until recently.

Im happy with Amazon, it sounds as good as CD quality, and works great on my Hiby new R6 DAP. It’s android based, and up until about four months ago you couldn’t get it to play Hi-Res natively. That was a Hiby update and not really android.

They’re all playing compression games, and that’s just the world we live in.

OP
R

RolfNoot

Now I got the picture. Basically those providers are streaming in whatever quality and do the decoding inside their app and send it out raw on 44.1 / 48 KHz. They can tell you 'super high quality' but it's all under the hood hard to check. Probably it's a secured stream as well, hard to see the real data inside, which compression is used and how good it is. They sell it as 'quality' and they save on compression.

Thanks for the insights :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I got the picture. Basically those providers are streaming in whatever quality and do the decoding inside their app and send it out raw on 44.1 / 48 KHz. They can tell you 'super high quality' but it's all under the hood hard to check. Probably it's a secured stream as well, hard to see the real data inside, which compression is used and how good it is. They sell it as 'quality' and they save on compression.

Thanks for the insights :)
Wait hold up you should get full lossless 192KHz from an iPhone using Apple music updated to the latest iOS.

Can you show us which albums you’re playing and your entire playback chain?

OP
R

RolfNoot

Wait hold up you should get full lossless 192KHz from an iPhone using Apple music updated to the latest iOS.

Can you show us which albums you’re playing and your entire playback chain?
I'm on iPhone X / iOS15.02 but it's not Apple Music, it's Spotify. I guess Spotify just outputs 44.1KHz.

I'll try if I can play some music with Apple music without subscription.

Dumdum

I'm on iPhone X / iOS15.02 but it's not Apple Music, it's Spotify. I guess Spotify just outputs 44.1KHz.

I'll try if I can play some music with Apple music without subscription.
You will get hi res from apple, I stream it in my car, it is indeed Spotify that when unfolded is 44.1khz but not cd quality, it’s a fraction of the size so you don’t use loads of data streaming it

Spotify is 320kbps, cd quality is 1440 off the top of my head…

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You will get hi res from apple, I stream it in my car, it is indeed Spotify that when unfolded is 44.1khz but not cd quality, it’s a fraction of the size so you don’t use loads of data streaming it

Spotify is 320kbps, cd quality is 1440 off the top of my head…

That’s .WAV or pure PCM. FLAC is more around 800-900kbps.

Top Bottom