• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 vs DX7S

Kempeu

Hi mates,
I also need some comments regarding D10 vs D50s vs DX7s. My situation a bit different, I got 2 systems :
1) Marantz Sa Ki Pearl lite(Sa8004) & Marantz PM15S2Se
2) Musical Fidelity MVX Preamp & P270

Initially, I plan to get D10 for both system :
1) make use of it’s optical output as a “USB>spdif convertor” for Marantz Sa Ki Pearl lite, because Marantz existing USB-B only support up to 24/96 whereas optical/coaxial possible up to 24/192. Would I get better sound by D10?
2) RCA line out from D10 to Musical fidelity MVX, direct streaming DSD/hires files from PC.

If I opt for D50s, drawback is..there is no spdif output for my system 1. But would I get much better sound for my system 2 because of superior es9038q2m chipsets?

If I opt for DX7s, there is a coaxial out link to my system 1. But again would i get much better sound for my system 2 because of superior es9038q2m chipsets? Reviews stated “DX7s use better DAC, better USB interface and better headphone amp.... etc etc”. Drawback is.. price is much more expensive than D10 and D50s and I don’t need those headphone amp..
Also, I do not think I will make use of preamp function of D50s & DX7s and probably I need to set it as “Fixed” at 0db rather than “variable” because I believe that MF MvX preamp is better. Moreover, with budget on DX7s, there are more other options..

So which is better option for me? It is like es9018k2m(D10) vs es9038q2m(D50s, DX7s)..

Thankssssssss

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi mates,
I also need some comments regarding D10 vs D50s vs DX7s. My situation a bit different, I got 2 systems :
1) Marantz Sa Ki Pearl lite(Sa8004) & Marantz PM15S2Se
2) Musical Fidelity MVX Preamp & P270

Initially, I plan to get D10 for both system :
1) make use of it’s optical output as a “USB>spdif convertor” for Marantz Sa Ki Pearl lite, because Marantz existing USB-B only support up to 24/96 whereas optical/coaxial possible up to 24/192. Would I get better sound by D10?
2) RCA line out from D10 to Musical fidelity MVX, direct streaming DSD/hires files from PC.

If I opt for D50s, drawback is..there is no spdif output for my system 1. But would I get much better sound for my system 2 because of superior es9038q2m chipsets?

If I opt for DX7s, there is a coaxial out link to my system 1. But again would i get much better sound for my system 2 because of superior es9038q2m chipsets? Reviews stated “DX7s use better DAC, better USB interface and better headphone amp.... etc etc”. Drawback is.. price is much more expensive than D10 and D50s and I don’t need those headphone amp..
Also, I do not think I will make use of preamp function of D50s & DX7s and probably I need to set it as “Fixed” at 0db rather than “variable” because I believe that MF MvX preamp is better. Moreover, with budget on DX7s, there are more other options..

So which is better option for me? It is like es9018k2m(D10) vs es9038q2m(D50s, DX7s)..

Thankssssssss

What was the problem with the first thread you posted with the identical content? Are you looking for more specific information?

OP
K

Kempeu

That thread is more towards D10 vs D50s, whereas mine is D10 vs DX7s,
So what’s ur comment?

digicidal

Major Contributor
While it may be splitting hairs... I think the question is more as to why you wouldn't simply modify the OP in that thread to include the single other model added to the equation in this one.

On the topic of this one... the principle differences were stated in your 'plan' area by you yourself. As far as the final question:
You earlier questioned "would i get much better sound" to which the obvious answer is "NO".

Both of the ESS implementations measure well (and similarly) so the likelihood of you hearing any significant difference at all is negligible - so buy which ever one meets all of your "must haves" and disregard any additional features. You may use them later, but you don't have to use them at all. All 3 of these DACs are relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

In fact, I would guess the difference between them and the DAC in your SA8004 would be minimal if audible at all. Sure the measurements might be better (don't know since the SA8004 isn't measured here under identical conditions), but I find it hard to believe that DM holdings went completely sideways on a product marketed for it's DAC as well as SACD capabilities. They may not produce "measurement darlings" - but it's not their first rodeo either.

Probably wasn't what you were looking for either - but there it is. How about buying one of them from somewhere with a decent return policy and trying it out for yourself? :eek:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing that you haven't read very much of the content on DACs here at ASR. Asking whether you would hear differences between well designed DACs with excellent measurements indicates you are not aware of one of the principal tenets of this website - the fact that good DACs will always sound the same if you don't know which one you are listening to, and the rest of the system is not flawed..

It is extremely unlikely that any of those units would sound different from another if you compared them via controlled, precision level-matched double-blind testing. Therefore, your decision should be based on features and design/form factor.

I considered both the D10 and the DX7s, and chose the DX7s because I wanted a larger unit with an internal power supply, a volume control, a decent remote, and balanced outputs.

There are psychological factors that help to determine our "relationship" with our audio components, and audiophile* profiles range from those who find, like and keep their systems for decades to those who change gear very frequently. For many, there is a psychological compulsion to "experience" ever better "sound quality" even though science tells us - via rigorous double-blind controlled testing - that many audiophiles are imagining the differences that they claim to hear. And others are simply consumers that fall prey to the advertising/marketing driven meme that buying "new stuff" continuously, even when our "old stuff" is a good thing, even when the "old stuff" works perfectly well.

In my case, recent changes in my system were triggered by three amplifiers that died an early death, and discussions here about the build quality and performance of class AB amplifiers in the 1980s and 1990s. i also decided that I had "downgraded" my system too far when I moved to Panama as a retiree to live in a remote mountain region. I am extremely blessed to still have decent hearing at 77 y/o, but even at my age, I occasionally pine for "new stuff" and make changes in my mix of audio gear that are not supported by logic...

*I prefer the definition from the Cambridge English Dictionary: Audiophile: a person who is very interested in and enthusiastic about equipment for playing recorded sound, and its quality.

OP
K

Kempeu

Hi major contributor,
Thank u for ur ‘contribution’ ya~

Regards,
New user
Haha, thanks
While it may be splitting hairs... I think the question is more as to why you wouldn't simply modify the OP in that thread to include the single other model added to the equation in this one.

On the topic of this one... the principle differences were stated in your 'plan' area by you yourself. As far as the final question:

You earlier questioned "would i get much better sound" to which the obvious answer is "NO".

Both of the ESS implementations measure well (and similarly) so the likelihood of you hearing any significant difference at all is negligible - so buy which ever one meets all of your "must haves" and disregard any additional features. You may use them later, but you don't have to use them at all. All 3 of these DACs are relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

In fact, I would guess the difference between them and the DAC in your SA8004 would be minimal if audible at all. Sure the measurements might be better (don't know since the SA8004 isn't measured here under identical conditions), but I find it hard to believe that DM holdings went completely sideways on a product marketed for it's DAC as well as SACD capabilities. They may not produce "measurement darlings" - but it's not their first rodeo either.

Probably wasn't what you were looking for either - but there it is. How about buying one of them from somewhere with a decent return policy and trying it out for yourself? :eek:
thank you so much. This is the proper contribution that I long expect. Thanks

digicidal

Major Contributor
I find that what my 'dream system' is comprised of has changed dramatically from when I first became involved in hifi. At the time I thought I would have a room full of a myriad of gear that I could swap out at random (in order to savor their dramatic differences).

Even without blind testing (just a little more honest evaluation) it rapidly became apparent to me that the differences between my $50 Pioneer CD player, my second hand $300 'audiophile brand' CD player, and my $1000 Universal BDR player was ~1% - had I done so truly blind I undoubtedly wouldn't have been able to hear any difference at all.

Now I want just one set of equipment... and a room full of speakers and headphones to swap out!

Haha, thanks
Did you just thank yourself for a reply in your thread?!?! :oops:

OP
K

Kempeu

I find that what my 'dream system' is comprised of has changed dramatically from when I first became involved in hifi. At the time I thought I would have a room full of a myriad of gear that I could swap out at random (in order to savor their dramatic differences).

Even without blind testing (just a little more honest evaluation) it rapidly became apparent to me that the differences between my $50 Pioneer CD player, my second hand $300 'audiophile brand' CD player, and my $1000 Universal BDR player was ~1% - had I done so truly blind I undoubtedly wouldn't have been able to hear any difference at all.

Did you just thank yourself for a reply in your thread?!?! :oops:
Opss... wrong column, suppose to thanks Xulonn for detail explanation

digicidal

Major Contributor
Opss... wrong column, suppose to thanks Xulonn for detail explanation

Got it. Was starting to wonder if there was some schizophrenia setting in or something. ;)

OP
K

Kempeu

Of cuz Marantz is good. Same as MF MVX one of the best preamp in its era. The problem is.. my onboard Realtek 889 wont output 88.2 & 176.4 to SA8004 via spdif, thus thinking to get a D10/DX7s as USB > SPdif converter for SA8004.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Of cuz Marantz is good. Same as MF MVX one of the best preamp in its era. The problem is.. my onboard Realtek 889 wont output 88.2 & 176.4 to SA8004 via spdif, thus thinking to get a D10/DX7s as USB > SPdif converter for SA8004.
So just get a D10 - it won't matter on the SA8004 side since the DA is being done on it (and you can compare and see if you can hear a difference between the two if you want). It covers all of your needs and costs less than 10% of the MSRP on the SA8004 alone.

If you decide you want to go full digital on the front-end at some point in time or need a headphone amp (in which case the MVX will be pointless for the most part)... then you can revisit the situation.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hi major contributor,
Thank u for ur ‘contribution’ ya~

Regards,
New user

Quesstions you are asking in this thread have been answered at least 50 times. So tell me, just because you are too lazy and ignorant to use search to find answers am I supposed to offer same responses for the 51st time? I don't think so..

OP
K

Kempeu

Quesstions you are asking in this thread have been answered at least 50 times. So tell me, just because you are too lazy and ignorant to use search to find answers am I supposed to offer same responses for the 51st time? I don't think so..
Again, thanks for your contribution but I found the solution already~

Top Bottom