• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Setup Help

carlmart

Let's hope someone is still reading this thread.

Yesterday I received my Topping D10, and I'm having trouble setting it up on my Windows 7 PC.

How should I proceed? The manual that came with the unit is in Chinese, and I can't find an English version.

What drivers should I install?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OK, I'll bite ;)

English manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fcul5n607qw47f/d10.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=/D10+User's+Manual_EN.pdf

Windows 7 and later, Driver download:
http://www.tphifi.net/drivers/d10_manual_and_driver.zip

The driver download zip has something of a manual to tell you how to setup foobar2000 for DSD playback.
You may also want to check out the helpful setup guide at DIY-Audio-Heaven for setting up foobar2000.

It's really not all that hard to navigate Topping's website.

If you are really stuck, I maybe able to do a remote connection to you and guide you through it. So I'd see your screen and control your mouse, whilst you can also see your own screen and what I am doing.

carlmart

OK, I installed foobar and plugins following the tutorial.

The only plugin that was refused installation was SACD, claiming it's a bad file or unsupported.

I thought it might be a problem in the later version 1.1.7, but it was the same for version 1.1.6.

What might be happening?

L5730

You may the newer SACD component. Foobar2000, not that long ago, updated to version 1.4, and some stuff doesn't work.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/

Try v1.1.8 of the SACD component.

If you can get PCM audio to play fine, do that. Then faff about with DSD afterwards. It can be a little bit of a pain to setup DSD playback to your liking. Not really too difficult, just a couple of hoops to jump through in fb2k menus.

carlmart

Downloaded v1.1.8

Got the same message:

"Could not load component "foo_input_sacd-1.1.8.zip": Unsupported format or corrupted file"

What is happening?

carlmart

The tutorial says not to unpack the zip file.

What do I do after unpacking the zip file?

In fact I already did that, and made a new zip file to see if the problem was the compression. Didn't work either.

L5730

1. Open Foobar2000
2. Go to Prefs > Components
3. Unpack the SACD component zip file
4. Drag and drop the foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component file onto the foobar2000 prefs window and it should install.
5. fb2k should ask to be restarted.

Fb2k can install simply packed components from their zip files. Problem is, the SACD one is more complicated, has other files in it. No need to repack to another zip, the component file will install once dragged into the fb2k prefs window.

robertospeed

But doesn't d10 topping work with DSDTranscoder?
how do i get it to work on native dsd?
use foobar2000 with asio

on the Topping D50 the DSDTranscoder works
on the Topping D10 the DSDTranscoder doesn't want to work why? can anyone tell me please?

Last edited:

MNMLSM

Hey guys,
I have also have a question. Would it be bad if I would use this the D10 as a solo unit for my active speakers (Mackie MR524) without a device in-between which changes the volume?

Let's say:
- I connect the D10 via USB with my PC (Windows 10), music playing from foobar and connect them straight to my Mackies via RCA
- I set the volume in Windows on 100 and adapt the volume of the Mackie (on the backside) to a point where it is really loud, so that would be my maximum volume
- from that point I'd only change the volume via Windows Mixer

Would that result in a bad or worse sound quality, is that a stupid idea?

L5730

Hey guys,
I have also have a question. Would it be bad if I would use this the D10 as a solo unit for my active speakers (Mackie MR524) without a device in-between which changes the volume?

Let's say:
- I connect the D10 via USB with my PC (Windows 10), music playing from foobar and connect them straight to my Mackies via RCA
- I set the volume in Windows on 100 and adapt the volume of the Mackie (on the backside) to a point where it is really loud, so that would be my maximum volume
- from that point I'd only change the volume via Windows Mixer

Would that result in a bad or worse sound quality, is that a stupid idea?

This is kind of how I use them.
There is nothing wrong with going straight from the Topping D10 (unbalanced) to Active Monitors at all. The main reason a lot don't like this approach is because you don't have a master volume knob for both channels.

You'll have to remember to plug the D10 in first, then turn the speakers on.
When you want to turn off, turn the speakers of first, then unplug the D10.
If you don't do those, you risk getting nasty loud pops.

I use ReplayGain in Foobar2000, so music is ball park -18 LUFS (Integrated loudness) on average anyway. Fb2k also has a master volume that I use.

You gotta be careful too, if you forget to apply replaygain or scan a file, you could get a bugger load of volume. Same with if you used a DAW and didn't turn the master fader down.
These problems are very rare with a big master volume knob between the D10 and speakers. Oh well.

MNMLSM

Thanks for the input.
Tbh that sounds a bit scary with the pops, I know myself too well, with time I'd forget to turn it on in the right order. :)

I've searched for a few weeks now to find the right DAC. To me it's really important to get a unit which also has a pleasant appearance to me. After the research the list is short, which is good imo. I really like the D10, seems to have a fantastic sound and I like it's minimalistic look.
The other candidate is from another category and it's not fair to compare a pure DAC with an audio interface, it's the MOTU M2. I really love the design of it, I found a review on YouTube and the headphone output is excellent, unfortunately I couldn't find a review of the speaker outputs. I know it's double the price, but that would be my absolute maximum. I'm planning to buy the AKG 712 again but I prefer the sound of my active speakers by far, so headphones are no priority.
The DX3 seems to be good but not that excellent and I read about a lot of problems, so it's not an option for me.
But once again, thanks for your explanation!
And if there are some sound impressions (speaker outputs) of the M2, please let me know!
Cheers!

Top Bottom