• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 continually clicks and disconnects (SOLVED)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Topping D10 connected to Fire 7 via powered OTG cable, downstream to Monoprice Liquid Spark. OTG cable powered with various Amazon USB ps..

D10 erratically disconnects, clicks, shows 3 dashes, 384.. Wiggle and disconnect cables, resets correctly to 16/44.1. For a few minutes. Cycle repeats.

This is second unit doing this. I returned the first, thinking the female USB at the back of the unit was poorly soldered etc. - as wiggling the cable into it - reset it to correct 16/44.1. But the new replacement unit is doing the same thing.

Clicks, display goes to 3 dashes, maybe will reset showing 384. Have replaced the USB cable, tried various 1 amp supplies, same problem

Help! Any suggestions as to what is causing this and the solution greatly appreciated!

When it works - correctly showing on the display 44.1 while Amazon Music HD is running on the Fire, it's great. But the disconnects are infuriating..

Thanks for your help..

availlancourt

Hello! I had the same issue with my D10. I figured there was something wrong with the USB power delivery, since simply moving the mouse would cause a disconnect. Turns out the device is quite sensible to power changes.. I fixed it by plugging the D10 into an independent USB hub (no keyboard, no mouse, nothing that could affect the power delivered to the D10). No more disconnects!

OP
Cahudson42

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Hello! I had the same issue with my D10. I figured there was something wrong with the USB power delivery, since simply moving the mouse would cause a disconnect. Turns out the device is quite sensible to power changes.. I fixed it by plugging the D10 into an independent USB hub (no keyboard, no mouse, nothing that could affect the power delivered to the D10). No more disconnects!
Thanks! In my case, it appears the unshielded/poorly shielded RCA phono cables I used on the D10 line out were, at least part of the problem. The D10 appears, so it seems, sensitive to noise hitting the Line Out. Like perhaps my nearby phone 'wireless' charging setup (150khz (?) 'transformer' power transfer) spewing said 150khz all over the place.

Replacing the unshielded cables with $11:
KabelDirekt RCA Stereo Cable, Cord (3 feet Short, Dual 2 x RCA Male to 2 x RCA Male Audio Cable, Digital & Analogue, Double-Shielded, Pro Series) Supports (Amplifiers, AV Receivers, Hi-Fi) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DI89I04/

Certainly reduced, maybe even has eliminated, the clicking/reset problem.

Edit 10/23 - but not totally. The D10 definitely appears also very sensitive to input power variations as mentioned above.
I replaced the Amazon 1.0a 5v USB mini-wart with:

USB Wall Charger, FONKEN 3-Pack 5V/1A USB Power Adapter UL Certified Charging Block Portable USB Plug Compatible for iPhone Xs X 8 7 6, iPad, iPod, Samsung Galaxy S9 S8 S7, LG, HTC, Sony, BlackBerry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFB2PX5/

So far, after several days, no clicks/disconnects.

Last edited:

jotad

Cahudson42 - i'm guessing you connected the Topping device to a USB hub that was connected to a regular electrical power outlet but the USB hub also obviously connected back to the computer correct?

Thanks

Top Bottom