• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
do you know one that measures bad? its all digital. hard to mess this up.
There are some measured here that seem to have a comparable level of performance, but they are not cheaper than the D10 Balanced, in fact most are more expensive. This is why I asked you for something "really cheap". To me, 140 for a good USB to Coax/Toslink it's ok, and you get a balanced DAC for free.

There are Gustard and a Holo Audio for a bit more, 170. Only this SMSL seems to be a bit cheaper, although it's not recommended. You were referring to this kind of price? Around 100?

usern

And why would you use the D10 for this and not a cheap usb adapter?
There really wasn't anything readily available and cheaper than D10s.
not to mention what kind of pc doesnt have a usb output or at least an internal header. even an arduino you would program in rx/tx pins I guess
I don't know of any motherboard that has SPDIF coaxial output. This would have been obviously my first choice.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a good power amp, but it's Spdif only. For the price I'm getting a ridiculously good dac and a good measuring digital out.

Lambda

Major Contributor
although it's not recommended. You were referring to this kind of price? Around 100?
Also lots of Asus or Creative products out there doing this.

or a HDMI to spdif

I don't know of any motherboard that has SPDIF coaxial output. This would have been obviously my first choice.

Lambda

Major Contributor
These have optical output, not coaxial.
It's the same protocol. but you also find mainboards with coaxial spdif
if your dac has no toslink in?! you can use an adapter...

Maybe if money is not to mush of an consideration the D10B is also not a a bad DDC ;)
But for me it is very waist full thinking. 90% of engineering development and component cost is in the analog part of the DAC and your not using it at all.

I would instantly buy the D10B if it would have coax or toslink inputs.
But with USB i can only comet it to one USB source.
I want to be able to connect all my Digital sources to one DAC.

Last edited:

usern

90% of engineering development and component cost is in the analog part of the DAC and your not using it at all.
I was using RCA output also so I got my money's worth.

I would be interested in B550 board with coax out if you know one. Not interested in toslink to coax converter.

Xii-Nyth

oh yeah there are 0 with coaxial outputs, i would have to be some kinda f daughter board. What I mean was the usb, thats for power and data on this unit isnt it?

cheapmessiah

Finally got the cables in today to connect my recently acquiered D10b but i can notice some things that i dont know if they are issues or not.

First of all even tho it should be twice the voltage output than my SE dac (fx audio dac x6) I didnt really get any more volume as the other dac got for the same amp volume knob position, does this mean that this DAC has much lower gain than the x6?

Also I can hear a click through the headphones every time the audio source goes on or off, something than the x6 didnt do either, is this the normal way of working of this device?

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning

actionmask

The display flat cable can be removed and D10 works fine.
DSC_1574.JPG

kchap

Forum Donor
Finally got the cables in today to connect my recently acquiered D10b but i can notice some things that i dont know if they are issues or not.

First of all even tho it should be twice the voltage output than my SE dac (fx audio dac x6) I didnt really get any more volume as the other dac got for the same amp volume knob position, does this mean that this DAC has much lower gain than the x6?

Also I can hear a click through the headphones every time the audio source goes on or off, something than the x6 didnt do either, is this the normal way of working of this device?
The 10B would be a tad over 6 dB higher than the X6, detectable but, not dramatically so. What are you connecting the DAC output to?

Ingenieur

The 10B would be a tad over 6 dB higher than the X6, detectable but, not dramatically so. What are you connecting the DAC output to?
The preamp is important.

Most have the balanced inputs buffered and converted to a single ended like all the other inputs so levels are the similar.

Block diagram for my amp. You can see the balanced are buffered and converted to unbalanced and then handled the same as the rest of the unbalanced.

Attachments

• F6BE39C5-215A-4322-B959-44ECAC0889DB.jpeg
    F6BE39C5-215A-4322-B959-44ECAC0889DB.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23982

The display flat cable can be removed and D10 works fine.
DSC_1574.JPG
oh well, i went through all 36 sites just to find the pcb picture i was searching for on the last page :D

not really happy to see that opamps are not changeable anymore (i tried a few and the OP1656 sounded best on the old D10 (probably because it can handle high impedance better than others with 10k impedance studio monitors)
also im unsure if its a good thing just one electrolyte capacitor is used compared to the old D10 which had 5 or 6 (i changed them to Nichicon Muse KZ`s and it had an nice effect, tho a added bypass capacitor on the OPamp (also Nichicon Muse KZ) has a far more audible effect)

The stock D10 sounded clear but it sounds way better with the mods, specially the OP2134 has some kind of "boring" feel to it
kinda crap to see the LM4562 because i didnt like it while testing it on the D10, it was better than the stock OP2134 (tho it sounded too bright for my taste), the OP1612 was a littler more clearer (clear highs but not as bright) and the OP1656 just beated them all (tho like i said probably because of better high impedance specs)

did anyone compare the old stock D10 with the D10 Balanced sound-wise? (tho its a stupid question because, atleast, i like the LM4652 more than the OP2134 too...) but probably there is more to it since for example lower jitter make me expect a change in the usb input circuitry too

Top Bottom