• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

nagster

I run an old QSC pro amplifier. For the inputs from the preamp, it provides two options: TRS jacks and a "barrier strip" for spade terminals/stripped wire. The manual states: "1/4-inch connectors are suitable for low cost portable systems, but must be removed and replaced frequently to avoid corrosion build-up. 1/4-inch plugs are not recommended for long, undisturbed service, especially in corrosive environments. For permanent wiring harnesses, the barrier strip is best, and also saves money."

I use 1/4-inch TRS connectors regardless. My basement doesn't even qualify as damp, let alone a "corrosive environment."
I think so, too.
Contact failure of phone plugs such as TS and TRS is common.
Repeat the installation and removal to put it back. Since the contacts are exposed, it is easy to get dirty and easily oxidize.
Women_Working_at_a_Bell_System.jpg

The beginning was for the Telephone switchboard.
Due to the large number of times, the phone plug required smooth installation and removal, and it was a reasonable structure.
It was also convenient for playing instruments, so it expanded.

I want an XLR at least, but it seems too big.
Lemo and Fischer are smaller than TRS and better quality than XLR, but I find it difficult to equip a $ 140 DAC with a $ 40 terminal per connector.
I can't find anything other than TRS. .

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's good to to see ASR members have stopped all their earlier rubbish. Spending endless hours discussing one DAC chip vs another, balanced vs unbalanced, are valves better than transistors, the sound stage of speakers, the merits of CDs over records (or not), the right type of digital LPF etc. and are now concentrating on the big issue; the pros and cons of a 100 year connector. What about the even older Tip and Sleeve Jack? Surely it deserves a dozen pages of discussion.

nagster

I run an old QSC pro amplifier. For the inputs from the preamp, it provides two options: TRS jacks and a "barrier strip" for spade terminals/stripped wire. The manual states: "1/4-inch connectors are suitable for low cost portable systems, but must be removed and replaced frequently to avoid corrosion build-up. 1/4-inch plugs are not recommended for long, undisturbed service, especially in corrosive environments. For permanent wiring harnesses, the barrier strip is best, and also saves money."

I use 1/4-inch TRS connectors regardless. My basement doesn't even qualify as damp, let alone a "corrosive environment."
I forgot.
Barrier Strips's contact point Long-term reliability is second only to solder.
There is no need to solder terminals during facility wiring. It's quick, reliable and inexpensive.
The disadvantage is that the shield around the Barrier Strips disappears.

HDavidson

Sound output problem. It worked well for 3 weeks and for 2 days there is no more sound after waking up the laptop. 44.1 is displayed on the display of the dac but not the sound. I uninstalled the 5.20 driver and put the 5.12 and it works for now. I will test for a few days.
p.s. windows10

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Are there any (headphone amps) with TRS inputs, so you’d just run a TRS to TRS cable, no adapter necessary?

I remember asking this on page 14, because I felt it was possibly a sign of what Topping might release in the future (matching, small amp with TRS ins).

Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth that I dared ask.

:p

SeriousSam70

I’m not sure, but I feel you may have missed the gist of the point.

That was my point.

I apologize for interfering in your conversation, but I think Zek just answered your question:
Topping L50 is a headphone amplifier with balanced TRS inputs (and passthrough balanced TRS outputs) that can be used with Topping D10B (or the newer Topping E50) using a TRS - TRS cable, no adapter needed.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I apologize for interfering in your conversation, but I think Zek just answered your question:
Topping L50 is a headphone amplifier with balanced TRS inputs (and passthrough balanced TRS outputs) that can be used with Topping D10B (or the newer Topping E50) using a TRS - TRS cable, no adapter needed.

I know.

My point was, my question simply predicted that Topping would be doing this.

I was aggressively lambasted for it.

Now Topping have done it.

mmichii

I just hopped over here from the gustard a16 x16 review and discussion. I know all things being equal dacs should pretty much sound the same.....however why is my d10b about the most shrill ear piercing piece of equipment i have ever used. This is not by minor audiophile degrees. It is ear piercing sometimes unlistenable at low volumes. i'm starting to think there is something wrong with my unit. however there is one other review i read that mentioned the same thing. i don't need an ab test to be able to identify this unit. its that shrill. on certain sounds it is this shrill shimmering sizzling loud quality that permeates and dominates to the point you can't hear anything else. Aside from the sound i like the build quality. i used it mainlty with a drop 789 and various headphones he500 hd600 and other units friends brought over. everytime it sounds shrill. i also switched out amps. shrill. probably return it and get an e50 from apos. hoping for better.

Toku

Major Contributor
My 10b has no such symptoms. The sound quality is exactly the same as the D10s.

Audible Nirvana

This is a bit left field maybe but I have my D10 B running TRS into the Palmer Monicon. I then have XLR to my xDuoo MT-604. The Monicon is the volume controller for the xDuoo. The crazy thing is that when I plug my headphones into the 3.5mm output on the Monicon, I get the best sounding headphone amplifier I ever heard! Being passive, it is not really amplifying the sound but the sound is plenty loud enough in my ATH-ADX 5000s for example. Plus, this rig requires no mains power. My Android phone with UAPP powers the Topping and the Monicon is passive. Not exactly portable given the size and weight of the two boxes, but the rig sits nicely on the arm of my listening chair. Very happy to discover this. The MT-604 is feeling quite neglected at this point…

1631322834778.jpeg

mmichii

My 10b has no such symptoms. The sound quality is exactly the same as the D10s.
hmmm thanks for the reply. i thought it might be the amp at first but i'm starting to think there is something wrong with my unit. since i got it from amazon/shenzhen audio i might initiate an exchange. It definitely doesn't sound quite right. thanks

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hmmm thanks for the reply. i thought it might be the amp at first but i'm starting to think there is something wrong with my unit. since i got it from amazon/shenzhen audio i might initiate an exchange. It definitely doesn't sound quite right. thanks
I would exchange it, don't wait too long and get stuck with a possible defective unit.

bruitblanc

Hello!
like Audible Nirvana I have a Monicon, and I am waiting for the d10. The problem is that you cannot be connected at the same time on the XLR and on the 3.5-mm jack socket to switch from listening to headphones or speakers. You have to disconnect one to connect the other, otherwise there is a risk of a ground loop. I have a Nagra 7 for my recordings, I wonder if I plug the D10 in XLR on the line inputs, and the speakers on the line outputs, I could take advantage of the nagra preamplifiers. and switch easily from listening to headphones to listening to speakers. this is not a definitive solution, as I often travel with my recorder. But I would like to try if it seems reasonable to you, to test the sound in this configuration! Thank you.

Paul_d

Hi.

I'm from Ukraine and want to buy my first DAC to exchange my current Creative X-Fi gamer.
My setup is: Harman Kardon HK680 (only rca), Monitor Audio Bronze, HiFiMan ANANDA (headphones I'm using for listening music through amplifier).

The question is: Do I notice difference in sound quality between Topping D10s and SMSL SU-9 dac's ?
I want to hear every little detail, but can I find any difference between this two (or maybe should by something else, d30 pro for example) ?

Last edited:

usern

Hi.

I'm from Ukraine and want to buy my first DAC to exchange my current Creative X-Fi gamer.
My setup is: Harman Kardon HK680 (only rca), Monitor Audio Bronze, HiFiMan ANANDA (headphones I'm using for listening music through amplifier).

The question is: Do I notice difference in sound quality between Topping D10s and SMSL SU-9 dac's ?
I want to hear every little detail, but can I find any difference between this two (or maybe should by something else, d30 pro for example) ?
If you have the option to easily return within 14 days, then I would say try D10s and if you don't get any noise or ground loops then you're golden.

Top Bottom