• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

azzy_mazzy

will something like this fix noise coming from the GPU into the speakers when there is a load on the GPU?

Fawzay

I have the 10s, I feel like buying 10b for the purpose connecting to ifi zen can..... dunno if possible.....

Veri

Master Contributor
I have the 10s, I feel like buying 10b for the purpose connecting to ifi zen can..... dunno if possible.....
You would need to interface TRS to 4.4mm pentaconn. Not impossible but it would be a lot easier to source such a cable with XLR instead of TRS... so not sure how feasible it is.

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm well aware of the lackluster "amp". It's also got some funky controls, super expensive proprietary cables, and odd issues with the Nyquist filters.

I already have the Tone2 Pro, and will certainly order a D10b for another audio system that require exactly this kind of device.
Both have incredible performance/price ratio, but I would say that if one has to decide between both, the decision should not to be made on what you said because :
- "odd issues with the filters" were a bug in first firmware and are now perfectly fixed
- "funky controls" are really funky at first, but not so funky after some days: you don't have to change a lot of things everyday except volume of the headphones out, and after one week of use, no need of manual for every menu settings
- specific cables are indeed expensive, but you can order 2 balanced RCA plugs at $10 each and solder it on a standard XLR cable end, which makes it $20 more only as you already have XLR cables, or if not, you will need to buy them, for a Tone2 Pro or any other balanced product.

I would say that if you only need USB to balance OUT, let's go for this D10b, no need to pay more as it looks perfect for that.
If you sometimes need headphones DAC, or to link a player with SPDIF Out -> DAC SPDIF In, I would say the Tone2 Pro, with 2 balanced RCA plugs added in the order.

Bene

will something like this fix noise coming from the GPU into the speakers when there is a load on the GPU?

myurthel

So does this product make the Schiit Modius obsolete? It has better/equal specs in every category and is $60 cheaper.

Also, what amp goes with the d10b that's in the same price range? I can only think of the Magnius and Archel 2.5 but maybe there is something cheaper.

milan616

Forum Donor
So does this product make the Schiit Modius obsolete?

I mentioned this in a comment above. A lot of people in here going nuts trying to turn this into a single ended DAC with adapters that aren't recommended by the manufacturer, when they could just get the Modius and have both connections. Adapters aren't $60 worth but they do end up making the price difference not that wide so why not just buy the product that suits that actual use case. If you don't need one output or the other then Topping has two great products for you, but if you want both just get the Modius.

myurthel

I mentioned this in a comment above. A lot of people in here going nuts trying to turn this into a single ended DAC with adapters that aren't recommended by the manufacturer, when they could just get the Modius and have both connections. Adapters aren't $60 worth but they do end up making the price difference not that wide so why not just buy the product that suits that actual use case. If you don't need one output or the other then Topping has two great products for you, but if you want both just get the Modius.
Thanks for the answer. I guess that means the only relevance the Modius has left in the market is getting good SE and balanced for $200 in one package as opposed to spending $100 for SE (Liquid Spark or D10) and $140 (D10b) for balanced.

Atratusnex

Thanks for the answer. I guess that means the only relevance the Modius has left in the market is getting good SE and balanced for $200 in one package as opposed to spending $100 for SE (Liquid Spark or D10) and $140 (D10b) for balanced.
And more inputs ... and being able to feed se and bal with the same signal at the same time...

nyxnyxnyx

sorry for asking, does anyone here have a picture of the balanced cable I should use for this DAC?
I wasn't able to imagine what it'd look like, or where can I buy it.

Grooved

sorry for asking, does anyone here have a picture of the balanced cable I should use for this DAC?
Regular XLR cables since TRS-XLR adapters are provided with the DAC
or TRS-XLR cables, as they give the advantage of less pressure on the the DAC than using adapters+cable (I try to avoid "one piece" adapters)

Last edited:

Atratusnex

Just buy a cheap xlr 3 pin cable. i can recommend cordial cables. they look like this https://www.qwant.com/?client=ext-firefox-light-sb&q=xlr+cable+3+pin&t=images there is this unknown shop called Amazon or this marketplace eBay nobody has heard of, that's selling cables like this. But this is my secret insider tip for you.

Last edited:

myurthel

And more inputs
Oh, good point. Didn't think about that. I guess there's equipment out there that provides Toslink, Coaxial, and/or AES but not USB input?
... and being able to feed se and bal with the same signal at the same time...
Is there an audio benefit to using both balanced and SE at the same time as opposed to just one or does it just make it easier to switch between outputs? If it's just more convenient then it seems the Modius is still a great budget DAC for people who like to switch between balanced and SE outputs.

Grooved

Wow, my brain fail to register that. I would have been impressed with any TRS to XLR connector but you guys went for the gold standard, very expensive European brand on a 139$ DAC, it just seems very overkill, Heck Around here those adapters are like 20$+ a piece... I don't get it there's some magic going on in Guangzhou. To come up with these pricing...
Neutrik TRS to XMR adaptor can be found for $12, so 24 for both. I suppose that Topping can get them for less, even at $15 for both, it leaves $124 for the DAC, so $15 more than the D10s, which if I'm not wrong has same chips but with unbalanced output instead of balanced on this D10b

I don't see any magic, just logic

Sharur

There should be no measurable differences. But in practical sense I prefer TRS to XLR cable since it's more reliable.
In what cases would the adapter pose a reliability issue? I'm asking because I'm on the fence over getting TRS to XLR cables or standard XLR cables

Top Bottom