• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a benefit to using a TRS to XLR balanced cable over using a XLR to XLR cable with the supplied adapters. My thinking is yes, as less in the signal path should be better but do uou think it would be noticeable. Thank you
How did you arrive at that deduction?

jannek

I'd be okay with just parametric eq... dirac balloons the cost a lot imo.

Which source streaming over USB does not have an the possibility to apply EQ?

The discussion of someone using a balanced to SE adapter despite being told not to do this makes me think of this:

pokayoke.png

Not everything that fits makes sense. Some things have to be learned the hard way, obviously.

Last edited:

Lupin

Nope, that one is far more expansive and premium (quad dac) . I'm thinking more about a competitor to the schiit modius/ soncoz LA-QXD1 at a similar price point.
Where would that fit in the quite packed Topping current lineup?
One way or another that product will cannibalize at least one and probably more of Topping's current products.

Below you have the D10s and the just released D10d, step higher you have the D50s and another step higher you have the D30Pro. Not a whole lot of room between these steps to squeeze in a whole new product without hurting the existing ones imho.

Will the release and the sales of this new "Modius like" DAC at 190 dollar price point generate enough revenue to make up and preferably exceed the revenue otherwise generated by the D10d, D50s and D30pro?
Only Topping can tell us that. My guess perhaps not else they would already put such a product to market. Even would make less sense now they just released the D10d which would be the model that likely gets hurt the most by such a new product.

From a consumer perspective it would be awesome to have Topping release a great measuring "do it all" Modius like DAC at 190 dollar.
From Topping's business perspective though.. perhaps not the smartest thing to do right now.

But hey what do I now... perhaps Topping is releasing this just next week :)

Lupin

Veri

Master Contributor
From a consumer perspective it would be awesome to have Topping release a great measuring "do it all" Modius like DAC at 190 dollar.
From Topping's business perspective though.. perhaps not the smartest thing to do right now.

But hey what do I now... perhaps Topping is releasing this just next week :)
TBH they have SE DACs, they have this D10B balanced DAC; then they have stuff like EX5 and DX7 Pro. Maybe there's no need for a midrange SE+BAL DAC. Competitors offer it if it's a must for you :D

Lupin

TBH they have SE DACs, they have this D10B balanced DAC; then they have stuff like EX5 and DX7 Pro. Maybe there's no need for a midrange SE+BAL DAC. Competitors offer it if it's a must for you :D
Personally I don't care about another Topping SE+BAL DAC. I think the Topping lineup is pretty solid and covers most if not everything already.
Maybe in the future Topping will release a SE+BAL DAC for 190 dollar when other models go EOL.. before that I don't see the point.

Lupin

For the uninitiated, could someone define ‘TRS’? Is that the a jack that’d fit in the back of this unit without the XLR adaptor?

Thanks.
Yes.
The "TRS part" is in the red circle.
trs.jpg

pma

Major Contributor

jannek

Cheers.

So, here’s the thing. When I see amps/headphone amps with balanced inputs reviewed here, as far as I can tell, they all have XLR inputs.

Are there any with TRS inputs, so you’d just run a TRS to TRS cable, no adapter necessary?

I don't get it... TRS to XLR cables are pretty common in pro audio. Ready made, no adapter. If not boutique enough, pretty easy to build yourself. A balanced TRS output is absolutely nothing special in Pro audio, just not common in home Hifi.

phoenixsong

I don't get it... TRS to XLR cables are pretty common in pro audio. Ready made, no adapter. If not boutique enough, pretty easy to build yourself. A balanced TRS output is absolutely nothing special in Pro audio, just not common in home Hifi.
Yup, they might even be more common than TRS to TRS cables (not to be confused with TS to TS instrument cables!)

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Are you serious or pulling our leg??

View attachment 142902

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

https://www.dummies.com/art-center/...dio-connectors-14-inch-stereotrs-analog-plug/

I tend to agree to those who recommended some self-initiative rather than asking.

Sorry, I don’t understand. Now I’ve been told, I know what a TRS jack is.

What I was specifically noting is that, from memory, when I’ve seen headphone amps with balanced inputs, they all appear to be XLR inputs, from memory.

Example:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-sh-8s-review-headphone-amplifier.22569/

Can you link to a headphone amp with a balanced TRS input, as opposed to an XLR input?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

I don’t get what you don’t get. I’m not asking about TRS to XLR.

I’m asking if there are many headphone amps with balanced TRS inputs.

Your answer covers TRS to XLR, and TRS outputs, but not balanced TRS inputs.

Palfim

Shenzhenaudio states "Not compatible with Android and iOS due to insufficient OTG power supply".

That's a pity, is there really no way to do it ? Like using an Y usb cable with phone and power bank?

Top Bottom