• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Labjr

Major Contributor
Being passive, I would expect the monitor1 to be balanced. Regardless, we will find out for sure when Amir tests it. ;)

I definitely prefer the aesthetic and layout of the Monitor1 to the JBL Nano Patch.

I'd be concerned about the quality of the potentiometer of either. Something in the $50 price range probably cost less than $10 to build.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Most audio potentiometers aren't exactly an expensive part. There are lots of good ones for <$2 retail.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
fair enough. not as hot as tubes at least ;)
Yup
Common sense tell you to put the device that outputs the most heat on top. I have the A30Pro on top of the D30Pro. It will certainly work the other way around to but at least this way the A30Pro gets to breath more and as a bonus the D30Pro gets less hot also.

Sharur

Yup
Common sense tell you to put the device that outputs the most heat on top. I have the A30Pro on top of the D30Pro. It will certainly work the other way around to but at least this way the A30Pro gets to breath more and as a bonus the D30Pro gets less hot also.
If I had the D30Pro that's what I would do. However, one doesn't even need to imagine how silly the A30Pro would look on top of the D10.
1626818424699.png

Grooved

Hi there,

if I wouldn't buy a monitor controller and I would just connect the device straight to my active speakers using XLR cables:
would it be a big problem if I would control the volume only in Windows 10 (from 0 to 100), additionally, would it be a big degradation in terms of audio quality?
I already saw several times a "bug" in Windows 10 while switching between internal audio and a DAC, or two DACs,.. and getting volume going up to 100% for one device even if I had set it at a lower value before.
I would never take the risk of sending 100% in active monitors, unless setting very low gain on the monitors...

Sharur

You can put small rubber feet under it... Costs nearly nothig, or buy yourself a geshelli eirish
I know you can add rubber feet, but the rubber feet from the A30Pro are gonna be hanging off the sides unless you remove them. I want the A30 for single ended power

Toku

Major Contributor
Anyone else notice that SHENZENAUDIO emails announcing a new Topping product are sent within minutes/hours of the ASR review going up of that same product? I'm practically using the emails as an ASR notification at this point. lmao
Yes, I noticed it right away. That's very strange.

fatoldgit

@amirm

Can you confirm the source stack (i.e. I assume it was just your bog standard desktop running Roon with no fancy USB cable or low noise PC?).

Just want to confirm the measurements you got were without any special care and attention to the source noise.

Thanks,

Peter

GeekySimar

What if we use it unbalanced? Will there be a significant effect on performance?

What would be the best way to use it with Unbalanced Amp? I mean which adapter would be best to convert TRS connectors to RCA?

I see in product description, it will not support any adapter for Single Ended output. So this means we can't use it for unbalanced amps?

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,
Simar

Last edited:

Zim

Forum Donor
Yes, I noticed it right away. That's very strange.

Sounds more like a standard embargo whereby media and retailers can only share information about a certain product after a certain time/date. A lot of industries do this, especially in the tech field. Amir’s review and Shenzhen Audio’s email only came after Topping posting that the D10b was available for sale on Facebook from what I saw yesterday (Australian time).

phoenixsong

Sounds more like a standard embargo whereby media and retailers can only share information about a certain product after a certain time/date. A lot of industries do this, especially in the tech field. Amir’s review and Shenzhen Audio’s email only came after Topping posting that the D10b was available for sale on Facebook from what I saw yesterday (Australian time).
This is not the first instance. Tbh I've been expecting it, and soon after I saw the official announcement on the availability of the D10B I headed over here. Sure enough, I wasn't met with disappointment :)

Top Bottom