• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

PeteL

Major Contributor
I guess. I'd think economies of scale would balance out a bit vs making multiple models. I suppose one could make one PCB and leave part of it unpopulated. I'd pay a bit extra for XLR jacks and single-ended added. I don't currently have system with balanced inputs but I'm planning to.
But isn't it exactly what the D30 pro gives you?

buxtehude

This will be a perfect little box to connect my Genelec 8330 GLM AES to Mac. (I bought audio interface instead :facepalm:)

@JohnYang1997 if I may ask, is there a noticeable latency for the digital out (coax)? Would I be able to edit video and watch movies with it? If not I’ll get rid of my large audio interface and just get this.

And thanks for including the XLR adapter I can’t believe it:eek:

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This will be a perfect little box to connect my Genelec 8330 GLM AES to Mac. (I bought audio interface instead :facepalm:)

@JohnYang1997 if I may ask, is there a noticeable latency for the digital out (coax)? Would I be able to edit video and watch movies with it? If not I’ll get rid of my large audio interface and just get this.

And thanks for including the XLR adapter I can’t believe it:eek:
You can set up buffer in XMOS driver control panel. You can push it under 5ms.

PeteL

Major Contributor
They're in the same league sonically. But the DP30 is 3x the price.
OK but to be clear, they do offer what you want, you just think it's too expensive to get what you want, do you know other manufacturers that gives you those options for the price you are willing to pay?

Labjr

Major Contributor
OK but to be clear, they do offer what you want, you just think it's too expensive to get what you want, do you know other manufacturers that gives you those options for the price you are willing to pay?

Not true. I was merely making a suggestion. There's miles between the D10 Pro and the model you're talking about. I could buy two more DACs.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I pair of cables terminated XlR at one end and TRS at the other would cost around $10-15 and are sold at pro audio shops everywhere.

Anyone who's handy with a soldering iron can make a set of cables using the very best Neutrik plugs for cheap money.

SEKLEM

I didn't read the entire thread, but I've often wondered why the D10 models have SPDIF outputs. Why not have inputs?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Not true. I was merely making a suggestion. There's miles between the D10 Pro and the model you're talking about. I could buy two more DACs.
Sure, didn’t want to give you a hard time, but as mentioned, in electronics, what is probably the highest cost drivers are enclosure, and connectors, your suggestion included tooling, and extra connectors, it’s fair to ask for always more, but You did get an answer, hey don’t do this because of the cost involved, and the cost, we the customer have to pay it. your suggestion also involved economy of scale, but with all respect you are wrong again because this enclosure is already tooled and molds are done and shared trough a few SKUs, that’s WHY they can offer it at this amazing price, what you are asking is an extra model, to fit between this one and the D30 in term of pricing, there really is no economy of scale, it’s an in between that would cut sales on both, D30 pro customers because they can get similar for cheaper, and cut on d10 balance becaus they’d like the extra connections

okMX

Hi there,

if I wouldn't buy a monitor controller and I would just connect the device straight to my active speakers using XLR cables:
would it be a big problem if I would control the volume only in Windows 10 (from 0 to 100), additionally, would it be a big degradation in terms of audio quality?

Atratusnex

Hi there,

if I wouldn't buy a monitor controller and I would just connect the device straight to my active speakers using XLR cables:
would it be a big problem if I would control the volume only in Windows 10 (from 0 to 100), additionally, would it be a big degradation in terms of audio quality?
Digital audio volume control over windows will impair the quality somewhat (should be better if you use foobar/ wasapi and volume control over foobar). But it will be marginal and most likely inaudible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom