• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Excuse me I'm a little slow, what's ASIO?

Just have it hooked up to a win 10 computer and a couple active monitors via trs.
ASIO is one of three audio APIs that audio focused applications use to interface with your DAC directly, without Windows getting in the way with its own processing like sample rate conversion and mixing.
If all you use is stuff like YouTube, Spotify, games and such, then you'll never come into contact with these APIs, as there is no need for them.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse me I'm a little slow, what's ASIO?

Just have it hooked up to a win 10 computer and a couple active monitors via trs.
staticv3 has already answered pretty well. For playing music you can use various ways to send the D10 the signal. With Foobar for instance you could use ASIO which bypasses the issues with Windows audio stack. Other players besides Foobar are able to do this so it depends upon what you are using for playback software.

Veri

Master Contributor
Love the DAC so far but it's crashing windows 10 fairly regularly. Then when windows restarts there's no audio until I unplug/replug the usb.
If this is common, what's the fix? I'm trying to avoid starting a dedicated thread for this.
Seems kinda weird. Are you using default Windows driver? If so, maybe install Topping one? If not, maybe uninstall and use default Windows one.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love the DAC so far but it's crashing windows 10 fairly regularly. Then when windows restarts there's no audio until I unplug/replug the usb.

If this is common, what's the fix? I'm trying to avoid starting a dedicated thread for this.
I hate to say it but if it keeps happening a windows reset or reinstall can work wonders. Sometimes we load up a lot of software and all kinds of background stuff gets installed. I would like to keep my audio machine clean anyway.

I would definitely try Verdi’s solution first. However a clean install albeit painful at first can help a lot of issues.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've got one also, there's a couple of things to check. Get the Autoruns utility and check for any old sound card drivers which may be causing a crash. You'd be surprised how many of them never uninstall completely. Also in power management and device manager turn it off for USB and all the hub/ports in device manager (there's a power management tab for each). Also if you see which motherboard chipset you have, getting new drivers from the maker of your USB chipset is much more current than Windows updates in most cases. It's most likely an old driver conflicting, but also turning off USB port power management is always a good idea anyway. With Autoruns you can really look under the hood and see what's loading. The built in Windows msconfig program can do this to some extent in turning off services, but Autoruns lets you see everything.

Adaboy4z

My D10b is connected to a Loxjie P20. Today I tried to use the coaxial out to my SMSL D0200 coaxial to see what it sounds like. I got it connected up with my laptop as source streaming via Tidal. The music starting playing followed by loud static a sharp pop and no more music from the left speaker. Ahh crap I hope it didn't damage the D0200 or the speaker. I disconnected everything powered the D0200 off and back on. I changed the input back to USB on the D0200 and so far all is fine. Not sure what happened there.

Toku

Major Contributor
My D10b is connected to a Loxjie P20. Today I tried to use the coaxial out to my SMSL D0200 coaxial to see what it sounds like. I got it connected up with my laptop as source streaming via Tidal. The music starting playing followed by loud static a sharp pop and no more music from the left speaker. Ahh crap I hope it didn't damage the D0200 or the speaker. I disconnected everything powered the D0200 off and back on. I changed the input back to USB on the D0200 and so far all is fine. Not sure what happened there.
Audio DACs such as the DO200 can only input pure 2ch PCM stereo signals.
I think Tidal's audio signal is a signal that includes sound effects such as Dolby and DTS. Connecting such a signal will cause symptoms like you.

Adaboy4z

Audio DACs such as the DO200 can only input pure 2ch PCM stereo signals.
I think Tidal's audio signal is a signal that includes sound effects such as Dolby and DTS. Connecting such a signal will cause symptoms like you.
So turning off MQA won't help? The D0200 needs a direct feed via USB is what you saying no bridging from another Dac?

Toku

Major Contributor
So turning off MQA won't help? The D0200 needs a direct feed via USB is what you saying no bridging from another Dac?
This symptom has nothing to do with MQA.
The Tidal file you play may contain information about sound effects that the audio DAC cannot play.
I'm not familiar with Tidal, but I think there is an item to set to PCM 2ch mode somewhere in the settings.

I only need that ye
It is as good as it can be if all you want is DAC with USB input and 4V balanced line out.
I only need USB and balanced out for A90/HD800s

Any reason to get D10 balanced VS Focusrite Solo (cheaper)?

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I only need that ye

I only need USB and balanced out for A90/HD800s

Any reason to get D10 balanced VS Focusrite Solo (cheaper)?
I have been using the 10B with my main amp for nearly a year. No complaints, I like its simplicity. I looked on the web and the Foscurite Solo appears to be an amp/Mixer, not a DAC.

usern

I have been using the 10B with my main amp for nearly a year. No complaints, I like its simplicity. I looked on the web and the Foscurite Solo appears to be an amp/Mixer, not a DAC.
Solo is a DAC and ADC. D10 DAC is electrically superior, but audibly? Probably not.

drplinker

TOSLINK & S/PDIF are digital transports (PCM), what problem does having S/PDIF output on a DAC (like this D10) solve? Only answer I can think of is conversion like e.g., DSD on USB to PCM on S/PDIF.

Toku

Major Contributor
TOSLINK & S/PDIF are digital transports (PCM), what problem does having S/PDIF output on a DAC (like this D10) solve? Only answer I can think of is conversion like e.g., DSD on USB to PCM on S/PDIF.
The same question has been posted several times in the past.
D10s and D10B are products that integrate USB DAC and DDC. DDC is a digital-to-digital conversion function. Converts a USB connection to an OPT/COAX S/PDIF signal. This makes it possible to connect a PC to a device that has only OPT and COAX inputs.
I own the D10s and D10B, but I use the OPT/COAX output to test the operation of the OPT/COAX input of other DAC products.

Jeff1412

The same question has been posted several times in the past.
D10s and D10B are products that integrate USB DAC and DDC. DDC is a digital-to-digital conversion function. Converts a USB connection to an OPT/COAX S/PDIF signal. This makes it possible to connect a PC to a device that has only OPT and COAX inputs.
I own the D10s and D10B, but I use the OPT/COAX output to test the operation of the OPT/COAX input of other DAC products.
@Toku hello! I was researching this subject for the last hours before I arrive here.
I’d like to connect a USB cable from MacBook to D10 and then use toslink to Arcam SA10 (it does not have a USB digital in). Will there be a sound quality loss during this whole setup? Appreciate your input!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Some MacBooks have 3.5mm headphone jacks that can output Toslink via a compatible cable:
download (1).jpeg

If your MacBook is compatible, then you could avoid an external USB->Toslink converter altogether.

Using the D10s or D10B as USB->Toslink converter will not impact sound quality.

Top Bottom