• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Veri

Master Contributor
Another one with TRS instead on the standard XLR?!
I dont' understand why Topping insists with this connector... Is it cheaper or something like that? By how much? 5$?!
Come on, Topping, even the cheapest aliexpres dacs can put an XLR connector, and you can't?! Pff...
I think Topping's future amps (not just head-amps) might also use TRS. And the DACs will be able to be more compact like this E50.

Toku

Major Contributor
I very welcome Topping's adoption of TRS for balanced connections.

In the first place, XLR connectors have begun to be adopted in consumer audio equipment simply for the simple reason that they look cool and luxurious. I remember seeing products in the 1970s. At that time, it was called a cannon connector.

Even if the XLR connector was adopted, it was just a decoration at that time, and in reality there were many unbalanced connections. In the world of professional equipment, XLR connectors are often used because they are easy and secure to connect and lock. At that time, I was designing professional equipment such as TV stations. The standard stipulates the use of XLR for these devices, but I was very skeptical about the adoption of XLR connectors in consumer audio equipment. It makes no sense when considering the application. However, the adoption of XLR was welcomed by many audiophiles and brought about revenue growth for audio equipment manufacturers.

I hope that Topping's adoption of TRS will change the course. The TRS is electrically no different from the big XLR, and you can design your product compactly. I think Khadas' RCA balanced connection is also a great idea, but cost is an issue.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I think XLR connectors are superior mechanically for repeated plugging/unplugging. I don't have a problem with good quality TRS connectors. I do think TRS can cause some confusion with some people using a two conductor cable or thinking they can use a regular adapter cable for single ended use with this DAC.

David_M

I believe the reason the Benchmark AHB2 power amp uses TRS connectors is due to lower distortion...

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There are no TRS connectors (for audio) on the AHB2.

Alex777

I got my D10B yesterday. So far so good and i enjoy the music. But I can't adjust the balance between left and right channel using Apple Music app, I tried Audio MIDI setting and general audio settings. Probably I can adjust balance in other music player apps, but I like to use Apple Music.
Does anyone know how to set this up? Thank you!

Edit: Found solution - SoundSource app

Last edited:

nagster

The major drawbacks of TRS when compared to XLR3 are that it is easy to pull out unexpectedly and that severe shock noise is generated when inserting and removing in the live line state.
The woofer, headphones and ears may deteriorate or be damaged.
Please be careful.

The XLR3 is unlikely to come off unexpectedly, and the shock noise itself is also much smaller.
It is related to the structure where the ground contacts first and the ground leaves last. (neutrik, switchcraft, ITT. Others are unknown.)

I haven't blamed the D10B.
It is difficult to attach the XLR terminal to D10B.

jbfilho

Does the D10 balanced have a DC protection circuit on the output? May I use it as a source on a jumped Singxer SA-1 without a risk?

Zim

Forum Donor
The major drawbacks of TRS when compared to XLR3 are that it is easy to pull out unexpectedly and that severe shock noise is generated when inserting and removing in the live line state.
The woofer, headphones and ears may deteriorate or be damaged.
Please be careful.

The XLR3 is unlikely to come off unexpectedly, and the shock noise itself is also much smaller.
It is related to the structure where the ground contacts first and the ground leaves last. (neutrik, switchcraft, ITT. Others are unknown.)

I haven't blamed the D10B.
It is difficult to attach the XLR terminal to D10B.

I'd see a TRS being pulled out unexpectedly being an issue in a lively environment, but I can imagine for the most part, most of us would just plug the units once and leave it in a fixed spot. So it being unplugged isn't a big problem. Also, the smaller size of TRS in terms of using it is a big plus.

MondoAudio

I run an old QSC pro amplifier. For the inputs from the preamp, it provides two options: TRS jacks and a "barrier strip" for spade terminals/stripped wire. The manual states: "1/4-inch connectors are suitable for low cost portable systems, but must be removed and replaced frequently to avoid corrosion build-up. 1/4-inch plugs are not recommended for long, undisturbed service, especially in corrosive environments. For permanent wiring harnesses, the barrier strip is best, and also saves money."

I use 1/4-inch TRS connectors regardless. My basement doesn't even qualify as damp, let alone a "corrosive environment."

ceausuc

I think Topping's future amps (not just head-amps) might also use TRS. And the DACs will be able to be more compact like this E50.

the dac will be more compact... apparently, after you add those trs to xlr connectors in the back it is getting bigger :) and ugly :)
of course, I could buy some trs to xlr cables - from Topping - but what do I do with my existing xlr-xlr cables?
all this trouble for what? XLR is the standard in audio! (but I suppose you already know that)

how about replacing the RCA's with 3.5mm TRS? :) I bet Topping could make another 5$ this way :)

usern

of course, I could buy some trs to xlr cables - from Topping - but what do I do with my existing xlr-xlr cables?
all this trouble for what? XLR is the standard in audio! (but I suppose you already know that)
No one is forcing you to buy this DAC. There is plenty good DACs with XLR outputs. TRS is the standard in audio interfaces.

And there is readily available TRS to TRS cables for cheap
https://www.thomannmusic.com/cordial_em_05_vv_elements.htm

And TRS to XLR
https://www.thomannmusic.com/cordial_em_05_mv_elements.htm

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
Something new with TRS balanced connectors: L50

Rear-L-50.jpg

Lupin

nagster

I'd see a TRS being pulled out unexpectedly being an issue in a lively environment, but I can imagine for the most part, most of us would just plug the units once and leave it in a fixed spot. So it being unplugged isn't a big problem. Also, the smaller size of TRS in terms of using it is a big plus.
The risk is zero if the following conditions are met:
・ You have no mistakes.
・ It is impossible for anyone other than you to enter the house, and there are no family members, maids, pets, or iRobot.

I sometimes fail and have a family.
I need to be careful and the safety mechanism is worth it.

When I had slipped the TRS before, the woofer popped out and hardened. Therefore, we proposed careful operation.

If you need a small balanced terminal, Lemo and Fischer are recommended.
The shell contacts first and the shell leaves last.
It has a locking mechanism and long-term reliability. The shield is also perfect.
It is smaller than the TRS terminal.

DSC_2764_0001.jpg

For example, the MC transformer box in the image was made over 15 years ago, but it retains the same operational feel as at that time. There are no contact failures either.
I'm using Lemo. There are medical and nuclear power products that audiophiles like, but I think the S series is sufficient.
I often use mogami2549, in which case ffa.1s.302.clac62 is suitable.
The downside is that it's not widespread and expensive.

Lupin

So A30pro has the benefit of earthed enclosure over L50?
Yes.
A30pro also has a ground "lift" switch in the back.

Top Bottom