• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping BC3 Review (Bluetooth Receiver) & BT CODECs

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is no option for 24 bits. If all the files are 16 bits, then it is not useful for the type of testing we do.
You're right, looks like it's limited to 16-bits.

dougi

This is sort of BT related, but I would be really interested in a formal Spotify via BT vs Spotify direct client comparison. I have done one, via an phone supporting LDAC and Spotify Direct on my AVR. Spotify via LDAC bluetooth shows an APtx like noise around a tone. Spotify direct is worse, with noise around the tone plus a whole bunch of harmonics!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is sort of BT related, but I would be really interested in a formal Spotify via BT vs Spotify direct client comparison. I have done one, via an phone supporting LDAC and Spotify Direct on my AVR. Spotify via LDAC bluetooth shows an APtx like noise around a tone. Spotify direct is worse, with noise around the tone plus a whole bunch of harmonics!
Are there test tones in Spotify you are using? The ones I have seen on Tidal are horrible and have their own artifacts.

SoundsGood2Me

Forum Donor
THANK YOU Amir!
You keep outdoing yourself.
This is some VERY relevant info,
Donation Inbound.
YOU SIR ARE WALKING IN
THE FOOTPRINTS OF JOHN ATKINSON

Attachments

• Ayyyyy.jpg
    Ayyyyy.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 192

HCT-5808

Amir, do you use Roon with the phone as the output? I find that when I use my Pixel phone as a output (not as a remote) that there is a 3 to 4 second delay from when I press play in Roon to when audio begins. Issue doesn't appear at all with Windows wifi devices.

fieldcar

My Android phone doesn't support it. Would have to find a method to generate the stream.
Ah. Ok. Thanks. I thought it was pretty much a global android standard since android 9. I'm on a OnePlus 7 pro using Android 11 for reference and I have support for all the codecs except LHDC, but I have no clue who uses that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, do you use Roon with the phone as the output? I find that when I use my Pixel phone as a output (not as a remote) that there is a 3 to 4 second delay from when I press play in Roon to when audio begins. Issue doesn't appear at all with Windows wifi devices.
Yes I used Roon. I tried Neutron player briefly but it showed more artifacts so I abandoned that. There was definitely some delay from pressing Play to when the output started.

YSC

Major Contributor
looked nice as expected from Topping, too bad Apple only accept AAC so that improvement is not applicable to me

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't Hiby have a codec that's supposed to trump them all?

dougi

Are there test tones in Spotify you are using? The ones I have seen on Tidal are horrible and have their own artifacts.
I did find some but haven't measured directly.
There were clearly more artefacts using Spotify direct than via BT. I will try and test again on the weekend. My previous ones had BT audio level issues so not quite a fair comparison.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using the Pixel as a Chromecast device? Just thought because the Pixel is Google hardware, it might register itself on the network as a Chromecast device. In that case, Roon might not be using RAAT to stream to the Pixel like it does to Windows WiFi devices.

Newman

Major Contributor
The new pink panther has me confused. What is his message?

HCT-5808

Are you using the Pixel as a Chromecast device? Just thought because the Pixel is Google hardware, it might register itself on the network as a Chromecast device. In that case, Roon might not be using RAAT to stream to the Pixel like it does to Windows WiFi devices.
I'm using my phone as the enabled audio device. The Roon signal path shows the file is sent to the phone using RAAT. The default output is AAudio. Starting music or seeking within music has 3-4 second delay from when I push the button and when music begins playing. I can duplicate the issue on two different Pixel phones and on a new Samsung tablet. The issue does not appear with Windows devices or funnily enough when using a actual Chromecast (connected to my TV) as the audio device. I assume it's some kind of weird android audio issue with Roon.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@fieldcar there are apps with embedded support for LHDC (like HiBy Music for instance), of course reciver still needs to support it.
@Rottmannash Hibi UAT does support higher sample rates than LDAC while maximum bit rate is similar. Of course that doesn't tell us how good codec really is. Would be interesting to test both of them (UAT and LHDC).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The new pink panther has me confused. What is his message?
He is in training. He is not sure what role he wants to play when he grows up....

Newman

Major Contributor
LOL

Top Bottom