• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping BC3 Review (Bluetooth Receiver) & BT CODECs

Koeitje

Major Contributor
This is actually a pretty good deal.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
NEW PANTHER ALERT
another-one.jpg

Reactions: Tks

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is that a new panther? When did you acquire this specimen, Amir? Hes quite cute.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Thanks! I've tried switching codecs (in developer menu) on my Samsung Galaxy S9+ but I never get any indication it changes anything. Maybe my BT receiver only supports SBC? Is this done while playing audio or before? Does the particular app playing the content matter?

GWolfman

Forum Donor
@amirm Do you still have any of the previously tested BT devices to see if LDAC works now that you have it figured out?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It has 2 volt output so should be good. I can't do sweeps and such with Bluetooth.
I can provide you with flac files which contain frequency sweeps, multitone signals and more. Just tell me the signal, its parameters (like frequency, amplitude, phase, ...), sample rate, bit depth and length. I'll send them via wetransfer to your email address.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The performance of this receiver (DAC and headphone out) is about what could reasonably be expected, it's not that expensive and just about clears the 16-bit hurdle, wich is the maximum of what most people are gonna ask of it. Compared to the other bluetooth receivers tested so far it seems like the best.
And the analog output is still better than all AVRs tested so far, I think.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressive unit.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Wouldn't it be relevent to see the frequency response using these CODEC? Maybe IMD too, like "aptX with that stepped down response in frequencies above 5 kHz" I certainly see a step down in noise above 5K, It tells me not much about the quality of Encoding/decoding of each. A spectrogram of various reconstructed audio file could be interesting (I agree it's not a "measurment") Probably not material for a product review, but maybe if somebody here have the knowledge, will, and appropriate tools to dig on the subject.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Wouldn't it be relevent to see the frequency response using these CODEC? Maybe IMD too, like "aptX with that stepped down response in frequencies above 5 kHz" I certainly see a step down in noise above 5K, It tells me not much about the quality of Encoding/decoding of each. A spectrogram of various reconstructed audio file could be interesting (I agree it's not a "measurment") Probably not material for a product review, but maybe if somebody here have the knowledge, will, and appropriate tools to dig on the subject.
Was thinking about IMD as well.

PeteL

Major Contributor
"Earlier it mentions that the source code for LDAC is part of the Android Open Source. Don't confuse this with it being fee. You still need to license the underlying patents from Sony or they can come after you. " In fact it's the same with AptX/AptX HD, It's always free for a source, you pay for the receiving end, android or else.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is that a new panther? When did you acquire this specimen, Amir? Hes quite cute.
A kind member purchased it and sent it to me. It is a more rare one as I had not seen it before.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If possible, can you test aptx-hd? It should actually be somewhere close to LDAC but I think its limited in bitrate, so I'm not completely sure how it compares.
My Android phone doesn't support it. Would have to find a method to generate the stream.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can provide you with flac files which contain frequency sweeps, multitone signals and more. Just tell me the signal, its parameters (like frequency, amplitude, phase, ...), sample rate, bit depth and length. I'll send them via wetransfer to your email address.
The file is not the issue. The issue is AP software being able to run that way asynchronously. For some tests it can, for others it cannot.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks! I've tried switching codecs (in developer menu) on my Samsung Galaxy S9+ but I never get any indication it changes anything. Maybe my BT receiver only supports SBC? Is this done while playing audio or before? Does the particular app playing the content matter?
On my Samsung phone, it works both ways. Does the value stick when you change it? If the receiver does not support that codec, it reverts back to the codec that is available.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Do you still have any of the previously tested BT devices to see if LDAC works now that you have it figured out?
I do not unfortunately. They were loaner gear.

GWolfman

Forum Donor

GWolfman

Forum Donor
On my Samsung phone, it works both ways. Does the value stick when you change it? If the receiver does not support that codec, it reverts back to the codec that is available.
It reverts all the time; this was with my AVR.

I do have a BT RX in my car that has different color LEDs or flash rates depending on codec, I'll give that a try to see if any "stick".

Top Bottom