• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping a90d vs topping pre 90

Cici

How is the a90d preamp comparable to the pre90? If you want to get a level preamp with a purifi or hypex power amp better than the pre90 or the a90d? with the a90d I would also have a headphone amp and trigger out .. if the performance were the same perhaps better the a90d

OP
C

Cici

In che modo il preamplificatore a90d è paragonabile al pre90? Se vuoi ottenere un preamplificatore di livello con un finale purifi o hypex migliore del pre90 o dell'a90d? con l'a90d avrei anche un amplificatore per cuffie e trigger out .. se le prestazioni fossero le stesse forse meglio l'a90d
Anyone can help me?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi since a preamps two jobs are volume control and input switching. The pre90 seems to have finer volume control as found by nagster in this useful post.
Screenshot_20220702-123029.png

JP.Hutch

Sorry for delay! I just got the A90d setup in place of the the Pre90 (cheaped out and shipped to childhood home for less sales tax and forgot to take with me first time around!). I love it.

As a preamp, think it sounds identical to the pre90 with thr added benefits of: incredible headphone amp -- my Sundaras never sounded so good, a subtler display than the pre90 (on dimmer setting 4 the numbers turn off after 30s), and! volume knob is less clicky. Still the same great build as pre90. I would def switch components.

OP
C

Cici

Thanks a lot. An a90d and a purifi world be wonderful at any cost

Greek Audiophile

I am A/B testing the A90 and the Pre 90 with a purifi-based P452 power amp from March Audio driving Magnepan LRS speakers and a REL T7i, and I can't tell any difference between the Pre 90 and the A90. Both combinations sound spectacular. It doesn't matter whether I'm using an analogue source built around a Hana ML cartridge, an Icon Audio PS1 phono stage and a vintage Japanese SUT or a much cheaper digital source running tidal connect through a wiim mini and a Denafrips Ares 2. It's all streets ahead of the Rogue Audio Sphinx v2 I was using before, and the sphinx is no slouch. Don't know how topping (and march audio) do it!

Attachments

• 16723751975076543825743303769024.jpg
    16723751975076543825743303769024.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
How is the a90d preamp comparable to the pre90? If you want to get a level preamp with a purifi or hypex power amp better than the pre90 or the a90d? with the a90d I would also have a headphone amp and trigger out .. if the performance were the same perhaps better the a90d
I know this may not be any type of considerable factor, but the Pre 90 has a much higher voltage output. Which is another difference I believe, besides the one's which have been pointed out. Which from what I understood can help or hurt your amp depending on knowledge I have absolutely no basis on, maybe someone else can provide some feedback on this

Also enjoy the EXT for use with multiple amps without having to connect and disconnect

I use the pre90 on my main system and it's really nice, never had a A90 or 90d to say if I can pick up any differences. Will be hooking it up to my M23 pretty soon to see how that goes

Jaimo

I received my A90D yesterday and inserted it between my Topping EX5 and JBL LSR708P speakers using the balanced in and balanced out connections.

I noticed that the ground lift switch was “on” as shipped and I set this to “off” before powering up.

I also have an order in for an Extension unit even though the base unit has sufficient I/O for my use case at this time.

My original plan was to add a turntable to my system and after much searching, I initially opted for the A90Pre but after seeing the A90D, with its excellent performing headphone amp and great preamp specs it was an easy decision to opt for the A90D.

The choice of volume curves is brilliant and I don’t see any issues with volume level selection. I have cranked up the volume of the EX5 to max and the A90D deals with this very well.

The RCA outputs are fed into a SVS sub and I am still playing around with the volume level on the sub.

This is an excellent design overall and even though I haven’t tried out the Pre90, I believe that this is a good option as a preamp.

Top Bottom