• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90D vs. Schiit Lyr+

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do all amplifiers sound the same?
Or not?! Decide for yourself.

The components:

Topping A90D
Arichitecture: discrete NFCA modules.

Schiit LYR+
Architecture: Hybrid. 6SN7 tube in the preamplifier, and discrete output stage in Class AB operation.

20230119_111209.jpg

Setup:

The Topping E50 is used as the DAC. This was connected to both amplifiers. The 6.3mm outputs of the amplifiers go to the Little Bear TRS Switcher Box. The output of the box, goes to the line-in of the On Board DACs (Realtek HD Audio).
So I am able to switch back and forth between the amplifiers without delay, as well as without noise. Switch position X and Y.

With Izotope RX10 I brought the amplifiers to one volume, and recorded 2 tracks, 3x (32bit float, 48Khz).
Each with one amp complete (filename: X and Y at the end).
As well as 1x, where I switched back and forth between the amplifiers (X and Y) during the recording, from the moment the music starts, in 10 second intervals. Say: first switching at 12 seconds, then at 22 seconds, etc. (Filename XY at the end).

Here is the link to the tracks:

interesting, one sees between the amplifiers, a clear difference in the frequency response:

Unbenannt-1.gif

Screenshot_20230120_055014_Gallery.jpg

Have fun

PS.
Of course, in the end, your own equipment comes into play as an influencing component.

OP
Bow_Wazoo

Bow_Wazoo

x is Lyr+

Veri

Master Contributor
I get X and Y, but what is XY?

Oh: "I switched back and forth between the amplifiers (X and Y) during the recording, from the moment the music starts, in 10 second intervals" interesting approach

OP
Bow_Wazoo

Bow_Wazoo

I would not call the distortion "that high at all" (for a hybrid).

Screenshot_20230131_165237_Samsung Notes.jpg

And furthermore, I see it differently.
Usually it is claimed that the distortions are so far below the useful signal, that they are completely superimposed on them, and ultimately have no influence on the sound. Neither negative, nor positive.

Top Bottom