• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping a90 volume issue

Richme

Hello all,
Just purchased the topping a90 with the topping d90. Running xlr cables between the two and using xlr to my hifiman Arya headphones. I am using my phone through Bluetooth with tidal as the source. When I first set it up, I had to turn my phone volume all the way up, the dac volume all the way up and the volume on the amp has to be turned to at least 9 o’clock to begin to hear anything. The gain on the a90 is set to high. Am I missing something, or is this normal?

Phony846

I have the SMSL M400 DAC + Topping A90 via XLR with Arya headphones. With that stack I only need to turn up the volume on the A90 to about 11 o'clock to be MORE than plenty loud.

OP
R

Richme

Thanks for your help!! May I ask what you are using for your source?

Polloanarquista

Hello,

Did you ever figure out the issue @Richme ? I'm running a similar setup: S.M.S.L. SU-9 + WBC Balanced Cables + Topping A90 + Balanced cables to my Hifiman Sundaras and I get the same issue. It only happens if I run them in balanced though, single ended performance is outstanding...

FrST

This is an old thread, but since I encountered the same issue and actually needed quite some time to solve it, I am going to post the solution here (maybe it is useful for someone else): On the remote of the A90d there is a button B, which changes the volume curve of the device. Make sure it is set to 1 in order to get the max power out of it. It was quite difficult to find, since that button on the remote is listed as "invalid button" on the topping website as well as in the manual on their website. In my printed manual, the function is described properly. What a mess, I was actually already at reselling the amp, since it was accidentally set to 5 for the volume curve, which only provided low listing volumes with the Sennheiser HD 800 s and the Heddphone. With the volume curve set to 1, performance is now as expected.

FrST

It is not invalid at all
IMG_20230112_100349.jpg

Yasuo

Logarithmic vs linear volume scaling?

FrST

The scaling basically remains linear, but attenuation at volume curve 5 is significant with -35dB at max volume. See the chart attached. I wonder how many users did not notice that setting...

Attachments

• IMG_20230112_103403.jpg
    IMG_20230112_103403.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20230112_103337.jpg
    IMG_20230112_103337.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 141

cetrex

This is an old thread, but since I encountered the same issue and actually needed quite some time to solve it, I am going to post the solution here (maybe it is useful for someone else): On the remote of the A90d there is a button B, which changes the volume curve of the device. Make sure it is set to 1 in order to get the max power out of it. It was quite difficult to find, since that button on the remote is listed as "invalid button" on the topping website as well as in the manual on their website. In my printed manual, the function is described properly. What a mess, I was actually already at reselling the amp, since it was accidentally set to 5 for the volume curve, which only provided low listing volumes with the Sennheiser HD 800 s and the Heddphone. With the volume curve set to 1, performance is now as expected.
Thank you so much! I was ready to be done with my A90D because I couldn't find a fix anywhere for the volume, had to run max to get normal volume out of my HD650s. Mine was set to 5 as well and putting it to 1 fixed it.

sandersann

Thanks a lot, you have save my 90D experience which has gone from “meh” to “wow”
I signed up to for I’m just to express my gratitude.

FrST

Thanks a lot! I am glad, I could help with that strange and insanely annoying issue! :)

Potion9

OMG - I was about 5 minutes away to returning it. You're a lifesaver FrST and TY. Previously own Liquid Spark and SMSL SP200 and the comfortable volume was somewhere at 10 o'clock. This A90d I had to crank it up to 70+ and had to double check the VRMS specs again if I'm not crazy. Because at that level and high gain it should blow the driver out of the can or my ear drum whichever comes first.

I did try that button and didn't understand what the sole purpose were, and if there is a graph in the manual I wouldn't understand anyway. LOL

ScofieldKid

I printed a label and stuck it on my remote on my A90 discrete: "B" button volume scaling use val=1

I just know I'm going to forget what the "B" button does in about 1 week from now.... :confused:

Top Bottom