• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Static Issues (help please)

mt196

The USB cables I use between my NUC and D50 and my Raspberry Pi and DX7 Pro are data only: no ground and no power. I started with electrical tape over the pins but now use custom built cables.

Martin
That is strange, my old d50 didn't work without 5V+ connected because the PC couldn't see it, same as sgd1, la-qxd1 and d90. Anyway the problem is the ground so it is a safer bet to just disconnect the ground, but if your works then it is ok

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is strange, my old d50 didn't work without 5V+ connected because the PC couldn't see it, same as sgd1, la-qxd1 and d90. Anyway the problem is the ground so it is a safer bet to just disconnect the ground, but if your works then it is ok

Best to test in your environment with electrical tape. You can keep using a cable with tape or build custom ones to suit.

Martin

OP
B

bigvibe1739

There little chance having it since they have balanced connections.
Hey john!
Thanks for all your help today.
I got the SMSL m500 here and i've plugged it into the A90. Windows shows output audio coming from the SMSL. the XLRs are plugged into the correct inputs on the A90 yet I'm not getting any audio. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hey john!
Thanks for all your help today.
I got the SMSL m500 here and i've plugged it into the A90. Windows shows output audio coming from the SMSL. the XLRs are plugged into the correct inputs on the A90 yet I'm not getting any audio. What could I possibly be doing wrong?
Try with another source. Try turning up volume on M500.

OP
B

bigvibe1739

Thanks for responding!
Volumes are up.
Been trying everything I could think of, switching between the M500 and the Grace DAC and the RCA's work on both, but if i try the XLR on the Topping and M500, it won't output any noise. (i've been elegantly reminded to switch the front INPUT switch from RCA to XLR and I have , but it seems like it stays engaged in RCA no matter what.)
Take the same XLR cables out of the topping and into the my thx 789 and everythings okay. Wondering if maybe the front input switch is failing to make that transition from RCA to XLR mode currently on my topping.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for responding!
Volumes are up.
Been trying everything I could think of, switching between the M500 and the Grace DAC and the RCA's work on both, but if i try the XLR on the Topping and M500, it won't output any noise. (i've been elegantly reminded to switch the front INPUT switch from RCA to XLR and I have , but it seems like it stays engaged in RCA no matter what.)
Take the same XLR cables out of the topping and into the my thx 789 and everythings okay. Wondering if maybe the front input switch is failing to make that transition from RCA to XLR mode currently on my topping.
Does A90 make sound when selected on XLR while you only connect it with RCA from the souce?

OP
B

bigvibe1739

Does A90 make sound when selected on XLR while you only connect it with RCA from the souce?

Yes right now there is
1. no XLR plugged in
2. it's RCA'd to my M500
3. it's on the XLR mode (down on the switch)
4. Music is playing

OP
B

bigvibe1739

just want to thank you again for how responsive you are to, i think, every single post and question about your product since you've released it. Kudos to your hard work.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes right now there is
1. no XLR plugged in
2. it's RCA'd to my M500
3. it's on the XLR mode (down on the switch)
4. Music is playing
Maybe it's a rare case of relay sticking which was a thing with JDS atom in the very beginning. Though I have not experienced it before. Try tapping the unit and switch the input switched back and forth a few time and see if that makes it work. If not you can contact your seller for a new unit. (Once it works, it would not happen again).

OP
B

bigvibe1739

Will try to get physical lol ! haha thank you. ill report back and see if any changes. contacted seller as well

OP
B

bigvibe1739

Are you able to fix the issue?

Good day John, thanks for checking in.
Unfortunately, the XLR inputs/out dont seem to be working with that switch on the front. Tried tapping it and switching it back and forth, didn't want to mangle it or do anything bad to it.
Did some listening in RCA mode and even got a great sense of how the product is but yeah, unfortunately still unable to get the XLR working. :(

have contacted the seller and waiting on options.

The ground loop issue is present still but i've done some changes in which outlets i was using, its still there, but less than before and mostly when I move my mouse with no music playing. Got an Idefender on the way!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Good day John, thanks for checking in.
Unfortunately, the XLR inputs/out dont seem to be working with that switch on the front. Tried tapping it and switching it back and forth, didn't want to mangle it or do anything bad to it.
Did some listening in RCA mode and even got a great sense of how the product is but yeah, unfortunately still unable to get the XLR working. :(

have contacted the seller and waiting on options.

The ground loop issue is present still but i've done some changes in which outlets i was using, its still there, but less than before and mostly when I move my mouse with no music playing. Got an Idefender on the way!
It possibly the switch in the front being broken or cold soldering under the input switch relay. It's technically possible in the testing as the unit is tested when both inputs applied signal. Gotta make sure it won't happ in the future.

OP
B

bigvibe1739

It possibly the switch in the front being broken or cold soldering under the input switch relay. It's technically possible in the testing as the unit is tested when both inputs applied signal. Gotta make sure it won't happ in the future.

Thanks! Hopefully I can get a replacement soon because...so far from what I'm hearing, just very impressed with the sounds I was getting! A+!
The amazon seller has yet to respond but I think their time zones are different so I'm just waiting.
They originally asked me to check how much it would cost me to ship the unit back to china myself :| hopefully they'll hit me with another solution once they respond

Infernosaint

I had the same issue on my A90, only really audible at medium and high gain, but even with volume turned all the way down. Noticed the noise when moving the mouse, and tried opening a game, where it got really noticable, and the tone followed the framerate, which was pretty funny.

This is to a Modi 3, which is externally powered already, but seems the power connection from the PC still connects, and passes the noise.

I took a 10 cm USB A male to USB A Female adapter, cut the power wires, and taped it back up, put it before the Micro USB cable, removed all the noise.

I will be making some data only micro USB cables later to clean it up a bit.

Last edited:
OP
B

bigvibe1739

Just got a message from "Dilvshi" on Amazon. Not exactly too happy with my options. What do you think @JohnYang1997

"
Apologize for the delayed reply.
I think the shipping cost is a little expensive. For this case, my manager and I have been thinking for a long time, and now there are two optins.
1. If we refund you CA$50 as compensation, could you please keep the TOPPING A90 Amplifier?
2. If you don't want to, the A90 can only be returned to Amazon. Truly sorry again. :(
Reply awaied,
Catherine "

Option 1 is absolutely ludicrous. Give me 50$ off a 700$ (canadian currency) item so I can keep a broken Topping A90?
Or refund it (which i was hoping to avoid) and the only ones that look to be in stock will be available in September.
Ugh.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just got a message from "Dilvshi" on Amazon. Not exactly too happy with my options. What do you think @JohnYang1997

"
Apologize for the delayed reply.
I think the shipping cost is a little expensive. For this case, my manager and I have been thinking for a long time, and now there are two optins.
1. If we refund you CA$50 as compensation, could you please keep the TOPPING A90 Amplifier?
2. If you don't want to, the A90 can only be returned to Amazon. Truly sorry again. :(
Reply awaied,
Catherine "

Option 1 is absolutely ludicrous. Give me 50$ off a 700$ (canadian currency) item so I can keep a broken Topping A90?
Or refund it (which i was hoping to avoid) and the only ones that look to be in stock will be available in September.
Ugh.
I would choose option 2. It's not like he doesn't want to replace it, the stock is the issue. I can understand you both are in the difficult position.
We can directly ship A90 to you(i think). Try buying on Aliexpress. That will get to you earlier than September. However I don't think September is correct. There's no shortage of A90 as we know.
You can also email the actual customer service for help.
You can have all the options if you return it, thinking out of the box.

OP
B

bigvibe1739

I would choose option 2. It's not like he doesn't want to replace it, the stock is the issue. I can understand you both are in the difficult position.
We can directly ship A90 to you(i think). Try buying on Aliexpress. That will get to you earlier than September. However I don't think September is correct. There's no shortage of A90 as we know.
You can also email the actual customer service for help.
You can have all the options if you return it, thinking out of the box.

Thank you John. I was hoping to avoid it but I guess I will refund and buy again.
Will check on AliExpress. any other alternative sites that ship to Canada quick?
Look forward to getting the pull potential out of this !

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank you John. I was hoping to avoid it but I guess I will refund and buy again.
Will check on AliExpress. any other alternative sites that ship to Canada quick?
Look forward to getting the pull potential out of this !
It's 1AM China. I'll get back to you in day time.

Top Bottom