• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Static Issues (help please)

bigvibe1739

Just got this beauty and I was super excited for some A/B and enjoying my music :) Unfortunately, I am starting to hear white noise/hiss and more noise when I move my mouse when I'm plugged into the Topping.

Topping > Grace SDAC > Motherboard

Can someone give any tips on fixing this :(

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You can also get a balanced SDAC or upgrade to a balanced DAC like schiit modius or soncoz la-qxd1

Stephen

I also had some issues: clicks and distortion with the A90. I fixed everything changing USB plug position (plugging it as far as possible from Bluetooth/Wifi antenna), I have a USB-C plug at the back of my computer and used it to provide power to my DAC LA-QXD1, so I also changed that: now it has an independant charger. So now: USB PC -> USB LX-QXD1 -> XLR A90 -> XLR Neuman KH120A and HD650 work like a bliss.

OP
B

bigvibe1739

Just put electrical tape on the gnd pin of the USB cable you use for the Dac, that should solve it in the cheapest way possible
Whatttt lol actually? I'm learning new things everyday

mt196

Whatttt lol actually? I'm learning new things everyday
I did it with mine and there is no noise, you just have to be precise in putting the tape just on that pin, you can help yourself with a needle.

Now I am waiting a custom USB with no gnd pin from pexon cables, to have a cleaner result

OP
B

bigvibe1739

That's very interesting. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend another 50-100$ on top of this. Will report back after some testing and when my M500 comes in the mail this afternoon

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That's very interesting. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend another 50-100$ on top of this. Will report back after some testing and when my M500 comes in the mail this afternoon
There little chance having it since they have balanced connections.

OP
B

bigvibe1739

That's a relief! Thanks for clarifiying and for being so quick to support this

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just put electrical tape on the gnd pin of the USB cable you use for the Dac, that should solve it in the cheapest way possible

Even better yet put tape over both the power and ground pins. The cheapskates guide to making a data only USB cable. :)

Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My DACs doesn't work when power is grounded that is why I just suggested to pin the ground

The USB cables I use between my NUC and D50 and my Raspberry Pi and DX7 Pro are data only: no ground and no power. I started with electrical tape over the pins but now use custom built cables.

Martin

OP
B

bigvibe1739

The USB cables I use between my NUC and D50 and my Raspberry Pi and DX7 Pro are data only: no ground and no power. I started with electrical tape over the pins but now use custom built cables.

Martin

That's badass. you build them yourself? Very intrigued about this process

Top Bottom