• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 + low end DAC (D10s/E30)

MrDice

Hello,
I want to purchase a stack or combo of AMP/DAC that would resist for at least the next 10 years.
The reason is that in the next couple of yeara I want to get myself some expensive headphones, 1.000+ $ (HiFimen Jade 2, Focal Clear, HD800s etc.). And hence I would like to future proof myself.

Currently I have HD660s and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro hooked up to my FiiO E10K. I can hear that my headphones audio quality is limited by this little amp/dac combo.

My budget is around 900$.
After a lot of research, I have the only following options in my country:
1. iFi Zen Can + Zen Dac
2. FiiO K5 Pro
3. Topping L30 + E30
4. Topping A50s + D50s (+maybe P50)
5. Topping DX7s / DX7 Pro
6. Topping A90 + D90 (the dac would be purchased later)

After seeing some reviews, I saw that the A90 is superb, but my budget is really tight so I can't get the D90 for now. I wanted to know if pairing the A90 with D10s / E30 would be a good temporary solution until I have enough money to get the D90. And if yes, then which one of the two is better?
Or maybe the DX7 Pro would be enough...

FYI, I will connect the equipment to my PC.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a Schiit Modius + Magnius stack, and save some money for the headphones? Add Hifiman Arya to the list. :)

OP
M

MrDice

I really wish to get a Schiit stack, but they're always out of stock, plus I do not have Amazon here...

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Because of the wide number of HP possibilities, possibility (likelihood?) Of EQ in the PC and need for headroom, I like the idea of concentrating $$ on the amp/A90.

Temporarily for the DAC, why not first try a $9 Apple Dongle? Not much to risk. And it may suit.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

MrDice

@Matias I'm not really comfortable ordering outside my country, especially outside EU because of the following reasons:
1. Shipping, it would take more than a month
2. Shipping cost (100-150$ as per Schiit's website)
3. Taxes and taxes... I would need to pay around 150$ to import Schiit products (Schiit Europe is out of stock) - customs fee and VAT
4. Warranty - if something goes wrong with the products, it would take months to get them delivered, replaced/fixed, delivered back

So, the final price for ME won't be 400$, but around 700$... This is why I gave the above list.

So please, lets focus on my options.

Thalis

Hello,
I want to purchase a stack or combo of AMP/DAC that would resist for at least the next 10 years.
The reason is that in the next couple of yeara I want to get myself some expensive headphones, 1.000+ $ (HiFimen Jade 2, Focal Clear, HD800s etc.). And hence I would like to future proof myself.

Currently I have HD660s and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro hooked up to my FiiO E10K. I can hear that my headphones audio quality is limited by this little amp/dac combo.

The Fiio E10k holds it own as a very good DAC. It can handle up to 96 but cannot do 88.2 due to its USB controller. If that is not an issue... keep that use its dedicated Line Out to a more powerful amp?

ZENERGiA

The Fiio E10k holds it own as a very good DAC. It can handle up to 96 but cannot do 88.2 due to its USB controller. If that is not an issue... keep that use its dedicated Line Out to a more powerful amp?

I have used my FiiO e10k as a DAC with my JDS LABS ATOM AMP, before I got the ATOM DAC, and the sound quality was really good.

@MrDice If I were you, I would buy the Topping A90, and would just use the FiiO e10k as a DAC, until you can afford the D90 DAC.

ashrafazlan

Would using Apple’s USB-C dongle with the A90 bring any significant penalties?

OP
M

MrDice

How exactly can I connect the FiiO E10K (as a DAC) to Topping A90?

Top Bottom