• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 - Just bought and connected.....Daft questions

DavidNesbitt

Guys

I have just received my Topping A90 and connected to my RME ASI-2 FS.
They are connected via balanced XLR
I am sure these are daft questions.....? But what settings do I need on the...

1) RME to output and just use it's DAC
2) The settings on the A90 - I have so far used HPA, XLR and low gain

Also - My headphones are Massdrop Sennheiser 6XX - For the way these 2 boxes are connected do I need to use 4.4mm balanced headphone jack plug or an XLR balanced headphone output jack plug?

Because at the moment I only have the standard 6.3mm jack plug and the standard IEM jack plug on my 6XX's - so what's the best way of adapting these headphones or do I need to buy a new cable to listen to them balanced / unbalanced through the A90?
At the moment I dont think I can listen through the A90 through the 6.3mm headphone output jack when it has XLR inputs from the DAC.

CTRLM

To keep it simple:

1) RME to output and just use it's DAC
Settings on the RME:
Reference level +7dB
Volume level 0.0 dB
Auto Ref Level: Off
Lock Volume: On
Should be fine for low & medium gain with 3.47 Vrms going to to the A90. If you are going to use high gain on the A90, make the volume level on the RME -2.0 dB

2) The settings on the A90 - I have so far used HPA, XLR and low gain
Yep on the A90:
HPA (head phone amp) for using headphones
Input: XLR
Gain: Low & Medium are fine. I think medium should be good enough for the 6XX unless you are listening at ear bleeding levels. I use medium gain with my HD600 & 650s with a balanced connection from my DAC

Also - My headphones are Massdrop Sennheiser 6XX - For the way these 2 boxes are connected do I need to use 4.4mm balanced headphone jack plug or an XLR balanced headphone output jack plug?
You don't need either but you can always try a balanced cable from places like:
https://www.audiophileninja.com/product/sennheiser-hd6xx/
https://periaptcables.com/products/4-type-4-dual-2-pin-sen-hd-series
https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-5-dual-senn

Because at the moment I only have the standard 6.3mm jack plug and the standard IEM jack plug on my 6XX's - so what's the best way of adapting these headphones or do I need to buy a new cable to listen to them balanced / unbalanced through the A90?
Buy a balanced cable if you want to as above, it will give you more volume but you don't need to, you can enjoy the setup as is

At the moment I dont think I can listen through the A90 through the 6.3mm headphone output jack when it has XLR inputs from the DAC.
Yes you can

Last edited:
OP
D

DavidNesbitt

Thanks very much for your advice and time - I have used your settings and it is all singing so I am delighted!
You are spot on medium gain is perfect with 6XX.

Top Bottom