• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

jmaz87

Bought the iDefender+ (their latest version).
The buzz and static-like noise that waxed and waned with GPU/CPU usage is gone.

But after removing this layer of noise, I can hear ~1khz background high-pitched whining when I start play music with Foobar or play videos (with volume turned to zero). This is much softer than those buzz and cracking static, but it is becoming obvious now that the buzzing is gone.

Is this EMI radiating from CPU or Graphics card? Thanks for suggestions!

+1 identical issue (e30/l30) hoping for any advice since its a head scratcher haven't found much researching beyond "it breaks the ground" actually glad i'm not the only one experiencing this.

its like the ground loop-noise is gone but faint high pitched whine is either more obvious or coming from i-defender itself... i did have to supply 5v DC to i-Defender for it to brake the ground but the difference was night and day. could the cheaper phone chargers cause this noise?

i think my loop is caused by PC in closet directly into UPS, with all my stereo running off a power strip 10ft away also plugged into UPS. i could see that creating a gnd potential but what is causing the whine once GND is broken? my head is swimming... might try to plug dac directly into UPS or run extension from PC to power strip for testing... also ordered a balanced stack as an excuse to upgrade
cheers

SugaFree2387

Pot position that you experience the issue is over 9 o'clock or lower?

How do you know which batch is your A90 from ? I’m curious whether I have the one with the older fuse or the newer one. Is there a particular serial number they start from ? Mine starts with 200xxxxxxx

HeyFkFace

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but everyday my A90/D90 is running - almost 24 hours a day. Still never had a single issue ever and it sounds as great as it did day one.
Still by far my favorite combo.

Can safely say it was worth the money.

chaos447

Had mine less than a day and it already died on me. Blinking green light indicating a failure. I heard there were quality control issues after purchasing but didn't think it would happen to me. Unfortunately, it did.

It sounded great for the few hours I was able to use it. Doesn't really amount to anything when I spent $500 for a half a day experience.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Had mine less than a day and it already died on me. Blinking green light indicating a failure. I heard there were quality control issues after purchasing but didn't think it would happen to me. Unfortunately, it did.

It sounded great for the few hours I was able to use it. Doesn't really amount to anything when I spent $500 for a half a day experience.
Not sure about the quality control issue. But you can get a replacement unit.

chaos447

Not sure about the quality control issue. But you can get a replacement unit.

Trying to do that process with Apos now but it seems they aren't available at the moment. It's just incredibly frustrating because I already had a delay in my order. First time ordering through them.

chaos447

So Apos isn't getting back to me. Worried I'm now stuck with this.

I swapped the fuse for the other one. Blew immediately. Only thing I'm getting is a blinking green light. What is the issue causing this?

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I swapped the fuse for the other one. Blew immediately. Only thing I'm getting is a blinking green light. What is the issue causing this?
Go on their website and use the auto messaging bot thingy and ask for assistance, someone will get back to you, they always do for me. Just leave it open while you do whatever.

Veri

Master Contributor

Your unit likely has a malfunctioning power supply. Don't power it on anymore and request an RMA. Maybe apos is a little slow right now but surely they'll get you sorted.

wizardofoz

what voltage is you location - maybe yours is set for 120V and you are in 240V area?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Have you got any reply yet? Apos is also on this forum. @apos-nelson

IronPyrite

I recently upgraded from a THX 789 to an A90, and when I say "upgrade" this is an absolute understatement.

I'm using the A90 with a stage piano, where you'd expect the clinical sound of the 789 to balance the warm sounding tones of the piano, and work in the 789's favor. But in comparison to the A90, the 789 had so much audible distortion and harshness, even on medium gain setting (I'm using balanced inputs/outputs). Whereas I would describe the 789's role as "functional" and getting the job done, using the A90 has turned keyboarding into something more ENJOYABLE. I honestly had no idea what I was missing until I started using the A90. Well done Topping!

The 789 -> A90 upgrade experience reminded me of the time, years ago in my early audio days, when I thought my (still relatively new) Polk speakers were "good." Then one day I stepped into an audio showroom with a $10K setup, and started listening. My jaw dropped, as I was then robbed of my blissful ignorance. From that day forward, my Polks were merely functional, and my pursuit of better sounding audio was born (and continues...).

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a Balanced Out 300 Ohm Low and High Gain power chart?

@JohnYang1997 Are there any plans for a A90SE with even better measurements?

Last edited:

Dr_Gus

Hi everyone.
First post on this forum that I discovered some weeks ago, very, very useful and full of insights about audio gear.

So after reading all the good things (primarily) here and there about the A90, I strongly want to buy one.
I also plan to buy a ModHouse Argon T50RP mk3 and/or T60RP, a Sennheiser HD6xx, a Hifiman Sundara (I currently only have an old Audio-Technica ATH-ESW10Jpn Edition, which don't require a destkop amp).

Actually I've an old DIYEDEN SVDAC05 (listening form a desktop PC), a DAC/AMP I bought something like 10 years ago for 100ish€.
I could use the DAC section of it, but I'm not sure it would do the trick, and I am afraid it could be a substantial bottleneck on my future system.

Other than using the SVDAC05, I hesitate between 3 options :
- buy the D90SE, and not having looking backward for a very long time... but it's damn expensive (better save money an additional tube amp)
- buy a cheaper Topping DAC, in the 100-150€ bracket : the D10 Balanced, or the E30
- buy a Topping D30 PRO + A30 PRO Combo

Any thoughts on this ?
I wonder if the A30pro has enough power too drive virtually and flawlessly any non electrostatic headphones (including very low efficient cans like AKG K1000)...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi everyone.
First post on this forum that I discovered some weeks ago, very, very useful and full of insights about audio gear.

So after reading all the good things (primarily) here and there about the A90, I strongly want to buy one.
I also plan to buy a ModHouse Argon T50RP mk3 and/or T60RP, a Sennheiser HD6xx, a Hifiman Sundara (I currently only have an old Audio-Technica ATH-ESW10Jpn Edition, which don't require a destkop amp).

Actually I've an old DIYEDEN SVDAC05 (listening form a desktop PC), a DAC/AMP I bought something like 10 years ago for 100ish€.
I could use the DAC section of it, but I'm not sure it would do the trick, and I am afraid it could be a substantial bottleneck on my future system.

Other than using the SVDAC05, I hesitate between 3 options :
- buy the D90SE, and not having looking backward for a very long time... but it's damn expensive (better save money an additional tube amp)
- buy a cheaper Topping DAC, in the 100-150€ bracket : the D10 Balanced, or the E30
- buy a Topping D30 PRO + A30 PRO Combo

Any thoughts on this ?
I wonder if the A30pro has enough power too drive virtually and flawlessly any non electrostatic headphones (including very low efficient cans like AKG K1000)...
If the 90 stack is expensive for you it's very natural to recommend the 30 stack. The A30pro is also state of the art. Its single ended output is more powerful than A90.
The D10 Balanced + A90 combination is fine too.
Another thing is that A30pro runs quite hot, A90 runs warm.

Hi-res-user

If the 90 stack is expensive for you it's very natural to recommend the 30 stack. The A30pro is also state of the art. Its single ended output is more powerful than A90.

I have some 600 ohm headphones, including AKG K240DF, K240, K141, and Sennheiser HD540. I would like to have an amp that can drive them to their fullest capability, without using balanced cables. Which Topping amp is the most optimal for that purpose? Thanks!

Dr_Gus

Thank you for your reply. I just purchased today both Modhouse headphones, the T50RP mk3 and the T60RP Argon, and for the moderate additionnal cost I picked them both balanced (at least for the resell value, since so many people recommand them to be balanced).
The sale re-opened today, for a very short time bracket, and the delay can be quite long...
Kind of a panic buy, I wanted an Argon but I just couldn't choose between the two (and probably impossible for me to hear them where I live) ! Maybe I should've just not watch Zeos T60RP argon review on youtube !

So, I will definitively take the Topping A90, my first amp choice.

After some reflexion, I'm thinking taking the D50s DAC, the bluetooth and remote control may have a great use for me or for my wife. Since my desk is near our sofa, it will be nice listening from it with just a smartphone too look out.

Top Bottom