• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Bruzur

Low and Medium gain both have lowest distortion possible. If you reduce dac volume you lose dynamic range though.

Tldr just use low gain if its loud enough.

PS: my Harmonicdyne Zeus are already pretty loud at low gain 9 a clock, thats when you can actually turn down dac a bit so you dont run into channel Balance issues at the start of the potentiometer.

I've kept my D70s in (pure) "DAC mode" since I've paired it with the A90.
It has been a really enjoyable listening experience thus far. I think this pairing is exceptional for the price.

Rantenti

I seem to have EMI issues when using the Topping A90.

My audio chain is:
Computer USB --> ifi iDSD Signature RCA out --> Topping A90 --> Neumann KH80 active speakers OR headphones/ IEM

After the addition of the A90, I clearly hear background buzz over all outputs (both RCA and XLR to speakers, both balanced and SE headphone out) which gets stronger when my computer's GPU is working harder (like playing videos or loading apps).

One interesting point is this phenomen remains the same when the iDSD Signature DAC is turned OFF, and only the A90 is turned ON.

Before I had the A90, the ifi iDSD Signature feeds my IEMs/ headphones/ speakers directly and the background was nearly silent, though I can detect more "hiss" when playing videos (with the video player volume at zero and the headphone out of the iDSD turned all the way up), but nothing as loud as when using the A90.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:

ALex_hha

The Roon streamer function.
probably I was not quite clear. I just want to clarify - if I use any none Topping DAC with A90 will I get some "penalty" compared to A90 + D90

Mini-I Pro 3 is also a headset amp, D90 no
A90 already has headset amp. Is there any sense/advantages in 2 headset amp in such combo ?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I seem to have EMI issues when using the Topping A90.

My audio chain is:
Computer USB --> ifi iDSD Signature RCA out --> Topping A90 --> Neumann KH80 active speakers OR headphones/ IEM

After the addition of the A90, I clearly hear background buzz over all outputs (both RCA and XLR to speakers, both balanced and SE headphone out) which gets stronger when my computer's GPU is working harder (like playing videos or loading apps).

One interesting point is this phenomen remains the same when the iDSD Signature DAC is turned OFF, and only the A90 is turned ON.

Before I had the A90, the ifi iDSD Signature feeds my IEMs/ headphones/ speakers directly and the background was nearly silent, though I can detect more "hiss" when playing videos (with the video player volume at zero and the headphone out of the iDSD turned all the way up), but nothing as loud as when using the A90.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks.
ground loop through pc usb. use xlr and issue will be gone.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
probably I was not quite clear. I just want to clarify - if I use any none Topping DAC with A90 will I get some "penalty" compared to A90 + D90

A90 already has headset amp. Is there any sense/advantages in 2 headset amp in such combo ?

You mean if there's a synergy between A90/D90? No, besides that they'll fit nicely on top of each other. There's no penalty either.

Reactions: RHO

Rantenti

ground loop through pc usb. use xlr and issue will be gone.

Thanks for your advice!

The ifi iDSD Signature does not have XLR outputs. I will receive a Gustard X26 Pro and some Mogami 2549 XLR cables soon, then I can start feeding the A90 balanced signals.

pma

Major Contributor
I do not understand why so many audio manufacturers (and designers) remain blind to obvious ground loop issues and design their low-power components (DACs, preamps) as class I components with signal ground connected to mains protective earth. Are they such ignorants or what? And unfortunately even the reviewers do not emphasize this issue enough and make their tests in unnatural clinical laboratory conditions, like AP with its floating or balanced I/O. What do you think, @amirm ?

Poganin

In my case I eliminated USB ground loop hum and interference by changing the power strips my devices are connected to, so in my case the PC, monitor, router, and external hard drive are connected to power strip A, while the DAC and amps are connected to another power strip. No interference.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
design their low-power components (DACs, preamps) as class I components with signal ground connected to mains protective earth
I assumed this design allows better SINAD. I think all the best performing DACs and amps are class I.

Rantenti

In my case I eliminated USB ground loop hum and interference by changing the power strips my devices are connected to, so in my case the PC, monitor, router, and external hard drive are connected to power strip A, while the DAC and amps are connected to another power strip. No interference.

Any specific requirements for choosing your power strips? And your strips use two separate mains socket?

I have a cheap six socket strip plugged into another six socket which goes into one mains socket in the wall. At first, I thought using only one wall socket for all my computer and audio equipment would give me less ground loop problems, but now it seems not to be the case.

Poganin

Any specific requirements for choosing your power strips? And your strips use two separate mains socket?

I have a cheap six socket strip plugged into another six socket which goes into one mains socket in the wall. At first, I thought using only one wall socket for all my computer and audio equipment would give me less ground loop problems, but now it seems not to be the case.
I don't think so. It's just a good idea for them to have surge protection. In my case I have the two power strips plugged into two sockets of one outlet.

Rantenti

ifi has the iDefender+ for breaking ground loops at the USB. At a price of around USD50, it looks worth a try if breaking the ground loop at any point will be effective. Otherwise, they have the GND defender for power input too but it costs double.

mariachideath

Being lazy not wanting to go thru 100 pages; anyone using D30 Pro and A90 stack? How's the sound? I would rather use the D90, but of course, unavailable.

Top Bottom