• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better A90 or A30 Pro?
If you want a pre-amp, then A90 because A30 Pro is pass-thru. A30 is also more aerodynamic with all of its vents :). Both have exceptional power and SINAD.

Not sure which is better for IEMs.

Giangi71

If you want a pre-amp, then A90 because A30 Pro is pass-thru. A30 is also more aerodynamic with all of its vents :). Both have exceptional power and SINAD.

Not sure which is better for IEMs.
I use it via 2xlr 2xlr balanced cable to a Matrix mini-I 3 Pro as a dac, only for headsets. I use often low impedance and medium/sensible headsets

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use it via 2xlr 2xlr balanced cable to a Matrix mini-I 3 Pro as a dac, only for headsets. I use often low impedance and medium/sensible headsets
I'm confused, what is the "it" you are talking about? The A90?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And if I'll find an used in excellent condition A90 at the same price of A30 Pro?
Then I would be tempted to go A90, because down the road if you want to connect to desktop speakers you can attenuate the volume via the A90 as a pre-amp.

Arnas

Hello, John any plans on Amp with pre90 wolume control? Crosstalk and wolume control is much better on pre90 and i think that could benefit A90 for sure... Cheers.

devopsprodude

Didn't think of that. Good point. Thanks!
Still considering different combos but the Topping + Gustard looks like it has everything I want.
It’s what I just ordered. Will let you know my thoughts if you’re willing to wait that long. Although, based on Amor’s reviews of each, it’s a good combo to get if you can afford it.

Reactions: RHO

RHO

Major Contributor
It’s what I just ordered. Will let you know my thoughts if you’re willing to wait that long. Although, based on Amor’s reviews of each, it’s a good combo to get if you can afford it.
I'm surely interested in reading about your experiences with these products.

rupert3k

Considering upgrading for use with LCD2C, currently running L30.
Worthwhile or folly?

kurosawa

Can the Topping A90 output 10V into 64ohm from the balanced xlr headphone output?

Poganin

Has anyone here heard of or experienced intermittently shifting balance in the A90?
I got a second-hand A90 and I don't mind that the thing still plays music with the volume pot turned all the way down, but the balance in this thing is all over the place, constantly shifting to the right slowly and then going back to the middle, only to shift left. At first I thought that maybe it was because the device was cold after the delivery, but after several hours it is still doing it.
Any idea what's causing this and can I fix it by myself or is it a manufacturing issue and I should just RMA the thing?

Giangi71

Has anyone here heard of or experienced intermittently shifting balance in the A90?
I got a second-hand A90 and I don't mind that the thing still plays music with the volume pot turned all the way down, but the balance in this thing is all over the place, constantly shifting to the right slowly and then going back to the middle, only to shift left. At first I thought that maybe it was because the device was cold after the delivery, but after several hours it is still doing it.
Any idea what's causing this and can I fix it by myself or is it a manufacturing issue and I should just RMA the thing?
RMA, sure

Poganin

Alright, after some more testing it looks like the issue is not in the A90 but in my AFO because switching the cable between left and right cup kept the balance shifted to the right, and connecting the AFO to my Shanling M6 DAP displays the same behaviour.

Bruzur

Is there any downside to utilizing low gain to drive the HD 800 S?

I've done some testing, and my previous sources were not nearly as efficient, because "low gain" (on the A90) makes the HD 800 S seem like an unbelievably "easy-to-drive" headphone.

I asked about a potential "downside," namely because I've read that "loss of resolution" can occur if not powered appropriately. My desktop setup is the A90 + D70s, and on low gain, approaching noon is pretty darn loud (depending on the genre).

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I've done some testing, and my previous sources were not nearly as efficient, because "low gain" (on the A90) makes the HD 800 S seem like an unbelievably "easy-to-drive" headphone.

I asked about a potential "downside," namely because I've read that "loss of resolution" can occur if not powered appropriately. My desktop setup is the A90 + D70s, and on low gain, approaching noon is pretty darn loud (depending on the genre).
For my own use I use the variable output of the D90 to allow me to utilize the M and H gain positions. I can set the D90 to Pre mode (hold down SEL button as you power up to get options), then reduce D90 MQA output to -9dB and -15db to use M and L gain settings.

I don't notice a degradation in the resolution of the audio, nor an increase in noise, by using the D90 in Pre mode.

Last edited:

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Low and Medium gain both have lowest distortion possible. If you reduce dac volume you lose dynamic range though.

Tldr just use low gain if its loud enough.

PS: my Harmonicdyne Zeus are already pretty loud at low gain 9 a clock, thats when you can actually turn down dac a bit so you dont run into channel Balance issues at the start of the potentiometer.

ALex_hha

Will I get any advantages of A90 + D90/MQA combo vs A90 + other non topping DAC (Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3) ?

Top Bottom