• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll try to get through my seller. If i can't i'll just have to send back to Topping at GuangZhou according to http://www.tpdz.net/contact ? think i should email them first before i proceed anything? Is the sending/return/shipping fee covered by Topping? or i have to bear it? (sorry, went a bit off topic)
pm me tomorrow if this doesn't work out

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@Ddd Ah. Ok. Just checked with the datasheet of the power supply module and my colleagues. 0.6A is for single module, so it's safe to use 1A for two modules. Using 0.5A was indeed too low. It is used because it's used on other products and didn't raise any issue while designing. The inrush current can be as high as 40A. The new A90 comes with 1A fuses hence solved the issue. And if I'm understanding correctly(just went back and read again) the unit is currently working fine right? PM me if you experience any issue.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Such, mistake...sigh..
I wouldn't blindly up the fuse amperage when it has never had issue during all the developments and tests. Also the qc test. This is something you wouldn't know before selling it.

Beppe

I would like , if possible, to ask if it is worth upgrading to Topping A90 from Shiit Jotunheim ?
I mean do you feel the difference in sound quality ? The dac to witch is connected is the Chord Qutest.

Thank you all for your kind answer.

Kesi

I’m currently looking for a separate hp amp.
From my Matrix Audio Element X XLR balanced out to Topping A90 XLR balanced in,.. is the Topping A90 a huge improvement from Element X built-in amplifier?

w1000i

Forum Donor
I’m currently looking for a separate hp amp.
From my Matrix Audio Element X XLR balanced out to Topping A90 XLR balanced in,.. is the Topping A90 a huge improvement from Element X built-in amplifier?

Generally I preferred internal amp if it is good in first place ( more transparency to the DAC ) I tried and a better measure amp - schiit heresy - with M500 dac and I lost some detailed compared to directly from M500

Monteh

Hey guys!

I am having a noise problem with my Topping A90 at medium and high gain w/ my DT 1990s. There is a very noticeable buzz even when the gain nob is at the halfway point on medium gain. I am using RCA inputs from my motherboard dac (SABRE 9118 DAC ) (don't have an external DAC yet, need to decide on which on to get) and the 6.5mm headphone out.

The thing is I don't get nearly any noise when I use my THX 887 with the same outputs/inputs. Would this huge difference be caused by the internal computer noise and the A90 being much more powerful? It seems weird that there would be huge difference between the A90 and my THX 887. If I can't figure this out I am going to have to return the A90 unfortunately as the noise is too problematic.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hey guys!

I am having a noise problem with my Topping A90 at medium and high gain w/ my DT 1990s. There is a very noticeable buzz even when the gain nob is at the halfway point on medium gain. I am using RCA inputs from my motherboard dac (SABRE 9118 DAC ) (don't have an external DAC yet, need to decide on which on to get) and the 6.5mm headphone out.

The thing is I don't get nearly any noise when I use my THX 887 with the same outputs/inputs. Would this huge difference be caused by the internal computer noise and the A90 being much more powerful? It seems weird that there would be huge difference between the A90 and my THX 887. If I can't figure this out I am going to have to return the A90 unfortunately as the noise is too problematic.

It's typical ground loop issue.
The main reason is that A90 is earthed. It's crucial for something with internal power supply.
Suggestion from me is to return the A90 and wait for the L30. Otherwise I would recommend XLR connection.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey guys!

I wonder did you notice any difference between 887 and A90 other than noise ? It seems like A90 designed for balanced dac and balanced inputs primarily. For single ended L30 is better which is probably coming out next week ?

nyj585

Oi.. I just tested RCA on the A90 and was not pleased with the result. I've got some noise as well. I thought by the measurements this was aces through all inputs/outputs.

This seems pretty common across a lot of people using the Topping A90 RCA inputs. It seems XLR inputs is the only way to go with the Topping A90.

How is the RCA output though? I am guessing as long as you use XLR inputs from the DAC to the A90 then the RCA to a power amp for speakers will have no ground loop/noise issues?

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@JohnYang1997 - I was planning on using RCA out to powered speakers, will that also result in the noise - even if I use XLR between the A90 and D90 MQA? Will there be noise passed on to the powered speakers through the RCA connection to the powered speakers from the A90?

The L30 isn't a solution for me, but a new replacement for the A90 design might be, when is the upgraded / fixed A90 successor planned?

Will there be a single unit merging the D90 MQA and A90 functionality as a replacement for the D7 Pro sooner than an A90 successor?

Thanks again John for being here for us and answering our questions. :)

Pillars

This seems pretty common across a lot of people using the Topping A90 RCA inputs. It seems XLR inputs is the only way to go with the Topping A90.

How is the RCA output though? I am guessing as long as you use XLR inputs from the DAC to the A90 then the RCA to a power amp for speakers will have no ground loop/noise issues?

I'll be honest it is very surprising RCA in was not tested in the review.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

It's not the only way to go. There are many cases there's no issue. People report only when there's an issue. You don't know the cases where it's fine.

Kesi

Generally I preferred internal amp if it is good in first place ( more transparency to the DAC ) I tried and a better measure amp - schiit heresy - with M500 dac and I lost some detailed compared to directly from M500

I have no issue with the Element X internal amp, very detailed linear and good resolution but sometimes I just miss the extra bass/punch/rumble on some of the content I play on Element X. Will the A90 give me some punch/bass or warmth when paired with Element X? The A90 is just a simple plug and play on the element X balanced out if needed.

Monteh

It's typical ground loop issue.
The main reason is that A90 is earthed. It's crucial for something with internal power supply.
Suggestion from me is to return the A90 and wait for the L30. Otherwise I would recommend XLR connection.

Thanks for the response. It seems like I am going to return it then as I would want to have the ability to use the RCA inputs even if I got XLR cables. I'll check out the L30.

Monteh

I wonder did you notice any difference between 887 and A90 other than noise ? It seems like A90 designed for balanced dac and balanced inputs primarily. For single ended L30 is better which is probably coming out next week ?

I honestly didn't but it was hard to isolate the sound differences with the very apparent noise issue. I can try again later and get back to you before I return it.

Top Bottom