• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

w1000i

Forum Donor
One of my friend got A90 and dislike it so bad. he said he only can use high gain @ 12 to hear very well. He used chord qutest at 3v output.

His headphone AKG712 and LCDX, Any thought what goes wrong for him ?

mt196

One of my friend got A90 and dislike it so bad. he said he only can use high gain @ 12 to hear very well. He used chord qutest at 3v output.

Probably he is going deaf... I never switched to high gain even for difficult to drive headphones :oops:

3125b

Major Contributor
Probably he is going deaf.
Even with unbalanced headphones he must be.
I use my K702 (same drivers als K712) on my Atom and E30 combo somewhere between 10 to 2 poti setting with -6dB for the E30.
Either his DAC has very little output voltage, or he is in fact going deaf.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Probably he is going deaf... I never switched to high gain even for difficult to drive headphones :oops:
To drive DT880 250 ohm SE 6.35mm headphones I have the A90 in H gain with the D90 MQA in 0.0dB PRE Mode (full output as if in DAC mode), and the volume dial is at 40-45% for normal listening on Netflix - "Warrior Nun"...

For the KZ AS16 / Dunu DK2001 I have the D90 at -15dB and the A90 on L Gain with volume around 25%-35% depending on the source material. There is plenty of range available with the A90 even with the D90 at -30dB - I was playing around with setting that drive level and then using the A90 M/H Gain to see if there is any benefit for lower drive and higher Gain. I'm still playing with that.

@w1000i your friend may have the Chord output at full drive but may have the source material at lower than 100% output.

I've heard the same many times, the volume of the source is at less than 100% and so the person asking why they hear so much noise in the output of their DAP / AMP - it's not getting enough drive.

I run my PC at 100% output to the D90 - and all the sources also at full volume - Britbox for one always resets volume down to 8 vs max of 11 (as 100%) - some other programs may default to 50% volume depending on their defaults.

That's where I'd suggest he start. Make sure the whole chain from source through to just before the A90 are at 100% output.

Last edited:

dpippel

How do you guys think the A90 would pair with the S.M.S.L M200? Does it suffer from the same output impedance issue as the M400?

Last edited:

dpippel

I think it won't have much problems but I remember that smsl had some "thing" with impedance, so maybe read something about it if it is not too much high

Yeah, that's why I asked. I believe it was the M400 that had the problem though. I don't know if it applies to the M200 or M500.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you guys think the A90 would pair with the S.M.S.L M200?
Unless you want a volume knob on your DAC or separate Coax/Optical, the SMSL M300 MKII is a better deal IMO.
A90Stack.jpg

mng

Hi, new member, and very old school,

asking for some advice,

I'm contemplating buying the A90, as I've moved and cannot use my lounge set up, so I will be using just a Cyrus CDi as a source via Clearer audio silverline optimus RCA leads 0.5md, (£595) and am worried that some posts say there are "noise issues" with RCA input.

so in this most primitive form of a set up, do you think I might encounter the same problem, AND, I only have Hifiman HE560 and Sundara, will these be ok.

At present I'm using a Lehmann black cube with a Burson V6 vivid opamp, and am looking for a more neutral sound, but I could not "live with" noisy rca connections, and don't want to go to the expense of buying a seperate dac, (CDi has no XLR outs just Co-ax out) and XLR leads.

any info greatly appreciated

ReaderZ

asking for some advice,

I'm contemplating buying the A90, as I've moved and cannot use my lounge set up, so I will be using just a Cyrus CDi as a source via Clearer audio silverline optimus RCA leads 0.5md, (£595) and am worried that some posts say there are "noise issues" with RCA input.

so in this most primitive form of a set up, do you think I might encounter the same problem, AND, I only have Hifiman HE560 and Sundara, will these be ok.

At present I'm using a Lehmann black cube with a Burson V6 vivid opamp, and am looking for a more neutral sound, but I could not "live with" noisy rca connections, and don't want to go to the expense of buying a seperate dac, (CDi has no XLR outs just Co-ax out) and XLR leads.

For that much money on RCA you can get a good DAC with XLR out and a good pair of XLR...

Vini darko

Major Contributor

asking for some advice,

Hi welcome. That setup should be fine. If you want, rca to xlr converter adaptors would allow you to take advantage of the balanced input on the a90. Should eliminate the chance of any ground loop issues. However that comes with the issue of maybe having to use more volume/gain to compensate for rca's lesser voltage than xlr. Six of one Half a dozen of the other.

mng

Hi welcome. That setup should be fine. If you want, rca to xlr converter adaptors would allow you to take advantage of the balanced input on the a90. Should eliminate the chance of any ground loop issues. However that comes with the issue of maybe having to use more volume/gain to compensate for rca's lesser voltage than xlr. Six of one Half a dozen of the other.
Oh, thats very interesting, I didn't realise a converter existed, only the C/A have massive benefits for signal transmission, I used all their cables in my lounge set up, and I have a digital reference Co-ax lead, just wanted to eliminate the "New" dac and XLR leads if possible, thank you for the info

hmscott

Oh, thats very interesting, I didn't realise a converter existed, only the C/A have massive benefits for signal transmission, I used all their cables in my lounge set up, and I have a digital reference Co-ax lead, just wanted to eliminate the "New" dac and XLR leads if possible, thank you for the info
IDK if a converter will preserve the balanced noise rejection of a straight XLR to XLR connection, so be prepared if it doesn't provide the noise floor you desire.

As has already been said, make sure you have a good return policy wherever you purchase in case you can't get the A90 configured in to your system successfully.

I'm loving the sound and power of the A90 so I'm not giving up. If I need to I'll get a different speaker with XLR inputs and I'm already XLR between the D90 MQA / A90.

I'd say the A90 is worth the effort, and adding the D90 (MQA) is a nice compliment to each other.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
IDK if a converter will preserve the balanced noise rejection of a straight XLR to XLR connection, so be prepared if it doesn't provide the noise floor you desire.

As has already been said, make sure you have a good return policy wherever you purchase in case you can't get the A90 configured in to your system successfully.

I'm loving the sound and power of the A90 so I'm not giving up. If I need to I'll get a different speaker with XLR inputs and I'm already XLR between the D90 MQA / A90.

I'd say the A90 is worth the effort, and adding the D90 (MQA) is a nice compliment to each other.
Good advice, a solid free return option is always highly welcome.

mng

These are the RCA's, I think they are pretty well shielded and don't go anywhere near the power leads to the amp & CD player, just worried that buying it might be a waste of time and just get a single ended better amp.

the thing is the price really attracts me, my Lehmann cost £695 and then modded another £100, and its way too warm with my Hifimans, so if I don't have to change too much, I like the idea of giving the A90 a go

Attachments

• DSC_1947.JPG
    DSC_1947.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Top Bottom