• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

GeorgeWalk

Oh my god! I have had the A90 for 4 days now (and the D90 for a couple of months) and they are phenomenal together. I just listened to a CD rip that I have of Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms: Your Latest Trick" and I was completely blown away by it. The trumpet and saxophone in the song just sing out like they are in room. Clear and crisp. I always liked that song, but never heard so realistic; like they were in the room playing. Great job Topping! I have reached my endgame nirvana, no more wondering if there is something better! If there is, I won't be able to hear it.

mt196

Is it normal for the volume knob to be this loose before gripping the pot?
Makes it really hard to make small volume changes.

Mine is a bit less than that, but yes the knob is very nice apart from this. Just a small step separating it to the perfect knob :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jhm

Forum Donor
please disregard - wrong Marantz

Thank you very much for the heads up anyway. Googling, I found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/eoww75
which indicated that the output impedance of the HD-DAC1 is around 11.4 ohms which is not as sky high as the HD-AMP1 as measured by Amir but still not good. So I took the advice of others here, e.g.

Ugh, just broke down and purchased one.
Way I figure it, why fight temptation when you will give in eventually, just save yourself the stress and give in immediately, lol. o_O

and so I ordered a A90 which hopefully should arrive sometime next week after my D90 arrives tomorrow.

I got the D90 from Audiophonics but then realised that Audiophonics seem more expensive (a difference of around EUR 20 for the D90 due to one using TNT for delivery and the other using GLS) than another seller listed on the Topping website, HifiStudio79 in the Netherlands so I ordered the A90 from HifiStudio79.

Tachyon88

Love the volume knob on the 789 !! Wish I could put that on my 788 !

If I want to control the volume of my speakers through remote control from my dac(or any dace with remote) would I just set the volume knob all the way up in pre-amp mode to my speaker amp and adjust the volume on the remote ?

Veri

Master Contributor
If I want to control the volume of my speakers through remote control from my dac(or any dace with remote) would I just set the volume knob all the way up in pre-amp mode to my speaker amp and adjust the volume on the remote ?
That would work but if you ever make a mistake of accidental high digital volume your speakers will BLAST. For that reason high volume on DAC and using pre-amp is safer.. less accident prone.

Tachyon88

That would work but if you ever make a mistake of accidental high digital volume your speakers will BLAST. For that reason high volume on DAC and using pre-amp is safer.. less accident prone.

Hi.
Cool, I thought this would be ok.
For sure, I would have to be EXTREMELY proactive with the volume ! I currently do not have a volume knob(pre-amp) and have to use my su8 remote, but I would still like to use it when I need it, if I switch to the A90.

Dealux

Yeah. Pretty sure everyone who's every relied on digital volume control has had that happen to them at least once. I always sit at my desk when I listen to stuff so I don't have a problem reaching over to tweak the knob.

I guess you could leave a few volume steps on your remote controlled DAC if you want to have the freedom to turn things slightly louder or quieter from your sofa.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Switched from RCA to XLR input today on the A90 and the hiss at high gain past 3 o'clock is gone - dead silence now :cool:.

With RCA input I felt like something was missing in my music - the bass didn't thump enough, the tonality was sterile, and just didn't get that PRAT that every audiophile loves. With XLR the soundstage has opened up considerably, and I'm hearing micro-details in my favorite tracks that weren't there before. This should improve even more in the next couple weeks as my cables sufficiently burn in.

jk, it sounds the same ;)

Hemi-Demon

That volume knob issue would drive me nuts. I don't remember ever having a loose one like that even on some really crappy gear. For all the precision preached about here at ASR and then see that sloppiness is a head scratcher especially at half a grand.

Gotta say that I agree. Form and feel of a product (especially one without a remote) is a big part of the way "I" view a product. Topping makes some cool gear, but it's fine to call them out when they make functional mistakes. The price is good, but that volume control knob is poor, according to the videos posted.

bboris77

EDIT: In short, it's normal. So no worries.
This behavior can varies from units. But I consider this normal as you can adjust volume just as usual.
It's not normal if you get severe imbalance at low volume position. That case it's faulty.

Just a quick followup question since there has been some criticism concerning the play in the volume knob. Is there any play in the actual potentiometer or is it just an issue with the pot shaft being slightly too thin for the volume knob opening? Does this amp has a simple push-on volume knob or is it glued in? I’m just wondering if it is user-replaceable if it really bothers someone. I don’t have the amp but I am considering buying it.

SethGG

Just a quick followup question since there has been some criticism concerning the play in the volume knob. Is there any play in the actual potentiometer or is it just an issue with the pot shaft being slightly too thin for the volume knob opening? Does this amp has a simple push-on volume knob or is it glued in? I’m just wondering if it is user-replaceable if it really bothers someone. I don’t have the amp but I am considering buying it.
The issue is with the knob and not the actual pot. I unfortunately can't tell you how the knob is attached.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's pushed in knob. However you will not be able to remove it without specific tools. It's very very very tight.
Moreover the looseness is originally due to the installation process because the knob is so tight. It is caused by external force like I said previously it's just that the external force is done in the factory. Changing the knob will only make things worse.

imrul

So if I wanted to use the Pre-90 just for volume control, would i be able to output to two different xlr input devices?

Rigel

Hi bboris77.
If you plan to buy it, I would not worry about it, it is a great amplifier whose sound does justice to its specifications. It does not affect the volume adjustment at all and the feel of the knob is very good. It just has a little slack that would be better without it, that's true, but nothing more.

The other day when I took it apart, I got the impression that that clearance, or at least some, is due to the potentiometer itself and not the knob assembly. This is pressurized with a plastic adapter to the potentiometer shaft with a slot. Anyway, I will check it again and I will comment.

GeorgeWalk

It may be a random manufacturing/tolerance issue. The volume control on mine is fine. It has a silky smooth movement with no lag or play at all. A very solid pleasing feel.

Rigel

I have been looking and indeed it is the potentiometer itself that has some slack. I guess it will be just a few units.
The adjustment of the knob / adapter to the shaft of the same potentiometer is perfect, without play.

20200618_182046.jpg

20200618_182452.jpg
20200618_182313.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have been looking and indeed it is the potentiometer itself that has some slack. I guess it will be just a few units.
The adjustment of the knob / adapter to the shaft of the same potentiometer is perfect, without play.

View attachment 69550
View attachment 69551View attachment 69553
The removal process could have degraded the pot further(I'm very certain it has, and again with reinstalling). (Also the pot is fully customized, you almost are not able to find exact replacement for the pot, 5k 4gang 5% -60db tracking) So this is not recommended for everyone else. Also as I posted earlier it's clearly described and explained. It is the pot itself. But it's caused by external forced applied to the pot during the knob installation process. Some ended up requiring less force some with more. So the end result is some units may exhibit this behavior. But like many others have said, it's acceptable and doesn't affect the performance itself of the volume control.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Also if anyone knows a replacement for the pot that is better all round, please let me know. I was not able to find a existing model that suited our need. Bourns's 4 gang and 8 gang pots were candidate but the tracking was just bad. I really liked the feel of that pot but no luck. There will be some trade-offs in designing these things.
On the defense of the price....bruh, fully balanced headamp, with preamp as well as internal power supply. Man. People just can't get enough....

Rigel

Also if anyone knows a replacement for the pot that is better all round, please let me know. I was not able to find a existing model that suited our need. Bourns's 4 gang and 8 gang pots were candidate but the tracking was just bad. I really liked the feel of that pot but no luck. There will be some trade-offs in designing these things.
En defensa del precio ... bruh, dolor de cabeza totalmente equilibrado, con preamplificador y fuente de alimentación interna. Hombre. La gente simplemente no puede tener suficiente ... [/ CITA]

It is not necessary to change it, I have already commented on several occasions that it does not affect the fit and the touch is good. I personally do not find it annoying.

Top Bottom