• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
which wedding do you recommend?
SMSL M400 MQA or Topping D90 MQA?
The M400 seems a hair better than even the D90 if you care about such things. But, the M400 has not received much reviews or feedback so far online because it is newer.

MalinYamato

The M400 seems a hair better than even the D90 if you care about such things. But, the M400 has not received much reviews or feedback so far online because it is newer.
Because M400 has UAT or?

MalinYamato

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, but it's not 49Vpp so that's what I was curious about.

Amir's distortion vs power measurement for the Balanced Out shows a max power of 4.8W into 50 ohms, which is about 15.5 Vrms or +/-22 Vp or 44 Vpp, I think, unless my assumptions about Vrms vs power are wrong.

Last edited:

MalinYamato

789 will take forever to reach Sweden. I dont like parallelogram or flimsy plastic amps. Toppings other than A90 have too much output-impedance for my phones. There is no Schiit Magni 3 Hersey or EL AMP II here in Europa to buy. I actually really like this amp, LOVE! Is this a crazy idea: get this amp and use my tiny humble Oppo HA-2SE as a DAC? Probably need such a muscle amp A90 since I dream to get a Argon MKIII or Beyer T5p.2 in the future, or should I get the $100 cheaper 887 instead ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
789 will take forever to reach Sweden. I dont like parallelogram or flimsy plastic amps. Toppings other than A90 have too much output-impedance for my phones. There is no Schiit Magni 3 Hersey or EL AMP II here in Europa to buy. I actually really like this amp, LOVE! Is this a crazy idea: get this amp and use my tiny humble Oppo HA-2SE as a DAC? Probably need such a muscle amp A90 since I dream to get a Argon MKIII or Beyer T5p.2 in the future, or should I get the $100 cheaper 887 instead ?

T5p doesn't need muscle. T1p needs more.

MWeston

Amir's distortion vs power measurement for the Balanced Out shows a max power of 4.8W into 50 ohms, which is about 15.5 Vrms or +/-22 Vp or 44 Vpp, I think, unless my assumptions about Vrms vs power are wrong.
Yeah, these calculations get harry but since that is 4.8W max/constant due to being on a dummy load of 50 ohms (John even clarifies there is no rms power you can label realistically) then the calculations are peak so 15.5Vpp. That's still well under the 25Vpp max which will benefit high impedance headphones when used.

MalinYamato

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Yeah, these calculations get harry but since that is 4.8W max/constant due to being on a dummy load of 50 ohms (John even clarifies there is no rms power you can label realistically) then the calculations are peak so 15.5Vpp. That's still well under the 25Vpp max which will benefit high impedance headphones when used.

Okay, thanks. I guess I assumed the power shown by Amir's AP instrument was the average power used in Equ. 16 of the explanation at Meettechniek, for instance. But I could be mistaken there. I guess Amir or John Yang would be able to clarify.

MalinYamato

MalinYamato

MWeston

Okay, thanks. I guess I assumed the power shown by Amir's AP instrument was the average power used in Equ. 16 of the explanation at Meettechniek, for instance. But I could be mistaken there. I guess Amir or John Yang would be able to clarify.
Yeah, I totally get what you are saying. If it is average power, then it is generating voltages higher than the rail voltages unless there is a secret boost converter stashed on the bottom, or I am overlooking something. I don't know what the APx is doing but I would assume average power would be the most widely accepted result. Well, I'm just going to shut up now and wait for someone like John to clarify, if he wants to. :) It's still early in the morning in China!

MalinYamato

i don't care about the bt .. if there is nothing else i would go combo topping a/d90 :)
its just a convenience for cool lazy ppl,,, anyone who hang around maybe sitting in your sofa in front of your stack may pick up their phone fire up Tidal or Deezer and stream their favorite song to your DAC to share.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I recall reading somewhere that with balanced (differential?) amplification, it is possible to output say L+ and L- that are phase-inverted relative to each other, and are referenced to amp ground, thus doubling the voltage swing. Though, not having much background in electrical or electronics engr., I cannot say that I really understand what this means.

Top Bottom