• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

andersee

Forum Donor
Whenever i was home i went and checked the sound quality and noticed zero issues or downgrades compared to when the stack was just powered on or when i first received it - i am also checking it right now and again notice zero issues. D90 gets quite warm, but nothing in comparison to Audio-GD or Schiit (Which also gave me zero issues despite being so hot i could fry an egg on them).
I find with audio equipment it's so easy to trick your mind into thinking you've got an issue, and when this happens i find it won't go away until the piece of equipment is replaced or you buy something entirely different.
Thank you for confirming and for comparing it with Schiit or Augio-GD. I just bought a D90 MQA, and was a little surprised from the quite warm body compared to my D70. But I will feel comfortable with it, not going into the spiral of thoughts. :)

andersee

Forum Donor
I noticed D90+A90 would eventually get fairly warm as well. Not too hot but, definitely a departure from previous THX amps. Probably due to internal power supply. Maybe more so the D90, as it gets warm even on top of a cooler I use for my current heater of a headphone amp.
Thank you for commenting this. I just bought D90 MQA, and was quite curious on the operating temperature..

Pillars

Thank you for commenting this. I just bought D90 MQA, and was quite curious on the operating temperature..
It's nothing out of hand for sure. Enjoy your D90 it's a great DAC. I fell back to the RME ADI-2 DAC for the EQ implementation but did enjoy my ownership!

ayane

Forum Donor
Still holding my breath for a potential A90se with a stepped attenuator to pair with the D90se...

As it stands, the only two headphone amps with stepped attenuators that have low noise output are Benchmark HPA4 and the SMSL SP400...

Rantenti

Might I ask, to achieve the same volume on the A90, does using "higher gain and lower rotary knob volume" or "lower gain and higher rotary knob volume" give the best sound/ lowest noise? (assuming we don't turn the rotary knob to its extremes at any gain setting). Thanks!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Might I ask, to achieve the same volume on the A90, does using "higher gain and lower rotary knob volume" or "lower gain and higher rotary knob volume" give the best sound/ lowest noise? (assuming we don't turn the rotary knob to its extremes at any gain setting). Thanks!
Mid gain.

Rantenti

Mid gain.

Thanks for your reply. One more question (hope it's not a stupid one), if my headphones are too loud in mid gain using balanced output, is it better switching to low gain or change to single ended (to lower the volume) to keep using mid gain?

Thanks again!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for your reply. One more question (hope it's not a stupid one), if my headphones are too loud in mid gain using balanced output, is it better switching to low gain or change to single ended (to lower the volume) to keep using mid gain?

Thanks again!
Low gain.
Using single ended output is fine too.
Or both.

metalbmxer

can we run it with headphones plugged into all 3 headphone outputs? just got mine in today but don't have my dac yet (either d90 or modius)

Thanks!

lovesegfault

Still holding my breath for a potential A90se with a stepped attenuator to pair with the D90se...

As it stands, the only two headphone amps with stepped attenuators that have low noise output are Benchmark HPA4 and the SMSL SP400...
Same here, the only thing keeping me from getting the A90 is the volume control which I really didn't like. Maybe @JohnYang1997 will change that for the A90SE or A100 :)

Wegi76

The volume control on the A90 is perfectly fine in my opinion. It has no play, is well damped, and it has very good channel balance. I could be a bit deeper physically, but that`s it.

I have a much more expensive Burson Solist 3XP here and prefer the A90 analogue volume control any time over this wobbly thing you have to turn for ages to change the volume significantly. A motorized version for a new A90 variant would be cool though :)

Blaze_NY

Just received my a90 today and as soon as i turn it on the led flashes red and it doesn't produce any sound through any input. Smh

Veri

Master Contributor
Just received my a90 today and as soon as i turn it on the led flashes red and it doesn't produce any sound through any input. Smh
Sounds like a faulty power supply inside :/

Rantenti

Is the original fuse in the A90 1A 250V slow blow? I would like to change the fuse and make sure I'm getting the spec correct. Thanks!

baccus

hello, since 2 weeks i have the A90. And i have a question:
Why does the RCA input sounds different than the XLR input? Is it normal, or is my unit defect?

I have tested it with the SE- and PRE out.
3 different DACS, 2 different Phonopres and different cables.
2 different Headphones and 1 pair of Studio Monitors.

it seems when XLR input is locked: less midbass, more treble. RCA: more midbass, less treble.
I have no way to measure it, but i can hear the difference and i like the RCA input sound more.

Maybe someone has a technical explanation..

Does someone have similar experience?
Can someone test it on their unit?

thanks

Top Bottom