• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amp & RME ADI-2 FS - Best way to pair and connect?

DavidNesbitt

Guys

I wondered if anyone could help me please?

I have an RME ADI-2 FS DAC and have just ordered a Topping A90 Headphone Amp and I am awaiting delivery of the A90.

I only listen on headphones on a Headfi setup on my desk top - Massdrop 6xx / Campfire Andromeda IEMs and I am about to buy the new Focal Clear MG's in a few days.

My desktop set up is a dell computer connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. I connect the RME to the PC via USB and I stream Qobuz

I want to buy some cables to connect the 2 units together - being the RME ADI-2 FS and the Topping A90?
Do I connect these via balanced which I believe is XLR? Or unbalanced (assume RCA)?

If so can anyone recommend a cable manufacturer and type to buy (guess it will need to be short if they sit on top of each other on my desktop)

David

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

DavidNesbitt

Thanks Racheski thats amazing thanks for your time and advice and the link! Much appreciated.
BR
David

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What Racheski says, but just out of interest why do you need the A90 at all? The rme has exemplary headphone amp performance for both sensitive and iem and most full size, and definitely the Clear

Wegi76

Hello,

I own the ADI-2, an A90 amp, Focal Clear, a HD660S ... So comparable to your setup and connected as recommended by Racheski via XLR. I bought a 50cm cable so that they can sit next to another with approx. 20cm space between the units (unter my monitor). However, I have to agree to what Jimbob says. For these headphone you should be completely happy with the RME. I would not know, what the A90 could do better. Use the Clears in Lo-Power mode and still have plenty of headroom with the RME.

Cheers
Markus

mrbungle

Also owner of both, Hifiman Arya. Use the A90 mainly to have a single amp for two different sources, but the RME amp is more than sufficient. Don’t think I could tell a difference. For the settings in the RME, see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31508.

Wegi76

Interesting... I own the Aryas too and bought the A90 mainly because different people in forums told me, those headphones would benefit much from a more powerful amp. I can`t hear a big difference to the RMEs Headphone-Out unfortunately. Already thought it`s just me being unable to spot a massive difference... Will keep the A90 regardless of this. Clears bonus XLR cable can be used with the Aryas and my HD660s Pentacon cable can be used also on the A90 and somehow like the idea of having this massive headroom available. :)

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
A lot of people claiming that Aryas are hard to drive. I never noticed that (but I haven't tried them with a phone or onboard sound-card either). For me the Hifiman He6se and 1266 are the only ones I couldn't drive from adi2.

OP
D

DavidNesbitt

Hello,

I own the ADI-2, an A90 amp, Focal Clear, a HD660S ... So comparable to your setup and connected as recommended by Racheski via XLR. I bought a 50cm cable so that they can sit next to another with approx. 20cm space between the units (unter my monitor). However, I have to agree to what Jimbob says. For these headphone you should be completely happy with the RME. I would not know, what the A90 could do better. Use the Clears in Lo-Power mode and still have plenty of headroom with the RME.

Cheers
Markus
Thanks Markus - I am also going to demo a pair of Arya's this week and some Clear MG - so glad I got it now for Aryas but if I go for the Clear MG I may not need to so will sell on. Appreciate your advice.

Top Bottom