• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 17.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.7%

• Total voters

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not been able to make this work in the past. As you change the levels the analyzer THD meter goes through the roof and then back down. So you get a lot of glitches.
Ah OK.
Maybe just at 3 fixed levels ?
-20dB, -40dB, and -60dB, as an example ?

That's basically SNR at low level, isn't it?

@nagster has published an interesting comparison with pre90 at 12 levels here:

index.php

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah OK.
Maybe just at 3 fixed levels ?
-20dB, -40dB, and -60dB, as an example ?
Sure. I plan to do a much more extensive study of volume control in different places.

Note that this volume control involves me manually turning the knob. it is NOT an automated sweep where input value changes as you are showing in above graph.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that this volume control involves me manually turning the knob. it is NOT an automated sweep where input value changes as you are showing in above graph.
I'm 100% aware of that.
I tried to plot mic preamps SNR vs gain and had the same issue.
I was thinking to use a stepped motor for that test, but eventually dropped the idea :)

WhyNotHad

Thank you for your hard work. I have been interested in this product for a long time.

Could I also get SE measurement data for this product from you? If there's an issue with SE, someone can take it that the evaluation will change a little
it's still excellent tho

carlcamper

The big brother of the Sabaj A10h.
Technically the A20h is the big brother of the A10h. I have it, and the Gustard H16 as well. I'll be comparing all three once my A90 Discrete arrives :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you for your hard work. I have been interested in this product for a long time.

Could I also get SE measurement data for this product from you? If there's an issue with SE, someone can take it that the evaluation will change a little
it's still excellent tho
Yes, when I get some breathing room I will add unbalanced. Is your interest in unbalanced output? Or both input and out?

tomtrp

Now it is interesting to have a proper controlled listening test of A90 OP VS A90 Discrete to see if there is any audible difference.

Arnas

Woohoo... Thak you for Review Amir;) And what a wonderful product From John and team Topping!
Im sure this wolume control will be massive improvement when it comes to soundstage and the overall feel! Not to mention cleaner front.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now it is interesting to have a proper controlled listening test of A90 OP VS A90 Discrete to see if there is any audible difference.
It won't be easy to design and perform a test that in the case it gives a positive, an audible difference, we can believe it (in plain words), given the SINAD figures of both. :)

cheapmessiah

While all the new features look great, I'm disappointed that the 50ohm power suffered such hit as I was looking forward to getting this amp for the HE6se eqed to Harman.

carlcamper

I did not. Truth to be told, I only saw that when I was taking its picture. :) I had no mains noise anyway since I was using differential connections. Will test with RCA at some point to see if it helps.
Awesome, thanks! By the way, how is the feel of the relay volume knob compared to the Sabaj A10h or the Gustard H16? Is it responsive and linear, or does it tend to accelerate/decelerate depending on the speed of adjustment?

tritopia

These are the devices I use...

* D90SE : Auto On/Off Mode
* LA90 + A90D : 12V triger On/Off sync.

Topping, good job!

:D:D:D

Top Bottom