• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.6%

• Total voters

kenshone

It does the same thing doesn’t it?

It’s very obvious to me that the A90 sales are decreasing and they needed a new product so that reviewers can talk about it all over again and bring sales back up.

If this product makes you wanna throw your A90 in the trash because this one is so much better go ahead, but I personally don’t agree.
If I didn't already have an A90, I would buy this. It adds a lot of features at essentially the same level of performance. And to do so in a discrete design is an admirable engineering feat.

However, as a flagship / halo product, it keeps Topping at the forefront of my mind the next time I'm shopping for a headphone amp.

kenshone

I wonder how many of these things they sell. amazon.com shows only 15 reviews for the older A90, which has been listed for 5 years, whereas the $70 Fiio E10K headphone DAC amp for example has almost 5,000 reviews over about 6 years. Look at the tremendous build quality of Cambridge Audio and their AXA25 25w integrated amplifier costs $300, half the price of the A90 discrete. Seems that either Topping have expensive production from low volumes or are making big profit margins on SInad-chasers.
It is a Halo product: a marketing tool that generates indirect revenue through increased awareness.

Mattx

Was waiting on the upgraded A90 and they tackled quite a few things I was hoping for. Nice device with some very good upgrades.

However I find it very unfortunate that they have left out the convenient toggle switches which is a big dealbreaker for me.

Also the volume leds make the device less clean to me.

Last edited:

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anyone know what the input impedance is? There are different opinions about the relatively low input impedance of the Topping Pre90 @10kOhms (single ended) and 2.2kOhms (balanced).
Topping could list the input impedance in the specifications. Ink must be expensive.

PeteL

Major Contributor
"Not terrible". This is the kind of compromise you would expect from a mid-range product, not from a flagship. Hopefully it can be fixed via firmware update.
Quite honestly it's enough of a flaw for me to be a hard pass. I have enough of a hard time keeping track of remotes for equipment that I actually want to use remotely, I don't ever want to have to search on my already cluttered desk for a poorly labeled remote to operate a device that is just there at arms length.

Arnas

Topping'engineers insist that gain shift would not be add to knob, and we must use the remote

maybe i would not buy it . it is stupid
Less point of failure, cleaner look and you can easily change Remote. Dont see point of failure since wolume control also is good this time.
There is no such wolume control in this price from West companies.

Trell

Major Contributor
Less point of failure, cleaner look and you can easily change Remote. Dont see point of failure since wolume control also is good this time.

It’s quite simply a choice the manufacturer has made and is a part of the feature set for the customer to decide on. With so very many excellently measuring devices that sounds identical it's the feature set, connectivity, usability, price, support, build quality etc that sets them apart, and that is of course quite personal.

Edit: I misread your comment and was thinking of remote control. :facepalm:

The RME ADI-2 DAC FS made in Germany has a very nice remote that includes programmable buttons. The remote is not needed for use of the device as everything can be done without it, but some not so often used (by me) operations are handy to have on the remote. For normal daily use I seldom use the remote. The RME is a DAC/amp combo so price is higher than the A90 Discrete, but my point stands, I think.

1655888864767.png

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Sinad race is coming so close to perfection
Perfection if you are an 50k$ analyser, unfortunately you are human thus audibility limit was achieved decades ago. "Sinad race" never had any real value to begin with, like fiat money.
Technical performance seems to be a mostly "solved problem" with modern solid state
Yes... since 1990
The value proposition, to me, seems pretty astounding.
Why exactly? I can see the volume control as valuable, but it will sound no different to Topping cheapest amp, thus if your goal is pure sound quality the value is actually pretty terrible.

Ra1zel

I know I shouldn't be surprised but I'm curious about those 6 or 7 votes for headless panther - were they hoping for better performance? Lower Price?
If I had to rate it it would be lower than A90 since it has both less usability (gain change only possible by remote) and lower value (you can get another whole audibly perfect amp for the price difference)

Ra1zel

Wrong. No clue if you would consider Ukraine as "west" but flux labs offers stepped relay volume control, more power and also discrete design at 100$ less.

carlcamper

Wrong. No clue if you would consider Ukraine as "west" but flux labs offers stepped relay volume control, more power and also discrete design at 100$ less.
Do you mean the FA-12S ? Not sure if it is fully balanced like its' higher end brethren?

kenshone

If I had to rate it it would be lower than A90 since it has both less usability (gain change only possible by remote) and lower value (you can get another whole audibly perfect amp for the price difference)

There were tradeoffs made. They got rid of the physical gain switch, but they have a digital one now. They also added trigger outs and expansion slot capabilities, which makes it more practical to integrate into a complete audio system.

And of course it's going to be more expensive than the A90, as it is a discrete design. In today's day and age, people don't buy discrete for the value...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Do you mean the FA-12S ? Not sure if it is fully balanced like its' higher end brethren?
The 500 $ one is not balanced. And after shipping, tax, import fees most western countries will be looking at a 650-700$ price tag

Ra1zel

d of course it's going to be more expensive than the A90, as it is a discrete design. In today's day and age, people don't buy discrete for the value...
Magni 3+ is full discrete for 99$. Please people need to get some grip on reality.

kenshone

Magni 3+ is full discrete for 99$. Please people need to get some grip on reality.
Not going to get into a flame war here. But it's obvious even to a layperson like me that it is much harder to design and engineer the A90 Discrete than the Magni 3+. No comparison.

I'd hate to bring out a car analogy, but most people don't buy a Lambo to drive it at top speed. Once that understanding consumer behavior sinks in, then it is you who will have a grip on reality.

Ra1zel

much harder to design and engineer the A90 Discrete than the Magni 3+.
Fortunately we hear the waveform at the output of the device, and not how much the designer was sweating when making it.

DWI

The 500 $ one is not balanced. And after shipping, tax, import fees most western countries will be looking at a 650-700$ price tag
The Flux FA-12, which Amir considered expensive, is the same price as this A90D. Both cost £600 in the UK and taxes are the same from Ukraine or China. Aoshida have now listed the A90D in their UK eBay store. Comes on a slow boat ...

The Flux FCN-10 seems a very good value and quality product, the pick of their budget products.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The engineers at Topping should seriously consider writing textbooks. Their ability to consistently put out products with stunning performance is something that warrants being shared.

Text books. Yeah, ok. :facepalm:

Top Bottom