• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 17.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 305 75.7%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

registlse

I have had the A90D for 18 months, on 24/24, I listen to it several hours a week with a Focal Clear plugged in XLR, it works perfectly, no bugs... Must I conclude that I came across the right number? :)

zhgutov

I have had the A90D for 18 months, on 24/24, I listen to it several hours a week with a Focal Clear plugged in XLR, it works perfectly, no bugs... Must I conclude that I came across the right number? :)
My amp is working fine as well.

julyjol

Yes, mine worked perfectly until it died, I think these amplifiers will die in less than 3 years, maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.

Selarom

My takeaway from different threads on different forums is that Topping QA for HPAs is pretty bad. Do SMSLs fare better? I am trying to experiment fix my Drop THX 789, but if that doesn't go well.. I'm gonna need to get something and seems that Topping is not it... How about SMSLs??

Roland68

Major Contributor
My takeaway from different threads on different forums is that Topping QA for HPAs is pretty bad. Do SMSLs fare better? I am trying to experiment fix my Drop THX 789, but if that doesn't go well.. I'm gonna need to get something and seems that Topping is not it... How about SMSLs??
If you're really looking for something that will last, why not get a Lake People or Violectric? You can get used HPA V200 for €400-500 and these devices will last at least 10-20 years and are very easy to repair.

julyjol

Topping answered this
Topping.png

Roland68

Major Contributor
How is it possible that only a little more than one year after purchase it is no longer under warranty?

And why should you do all this process and not the dealer that sold it to you?
Any reputable manufacturer would extend the warranty to 5 years for these errors if there was a known problem and would not leave the customer stuck with the shipping costs. In the EU and USA it may not be that difficult to find someone who can repair these devices for Topping so that the shipping costs are not so high.
An RME ADI-2 DAC FS from Thomann currently costs €1199 including a 3-year full warranty. How much does a Topping A90D with the corresponding large DAC cost? Definitely not less.

It is now also noticeable that there is a large discrepancy in the failure rate for topping devices with and without the modules.

Toni Mas

Any reputable manufacturer would extend the warranty to 5 years for these errors if there was a known problem and would not leave the customer stuck with the shipping costs. In the EU and USA it may not be that difficult to find someone who can repair these devices for Topping so that the shipping costs are not so high.
An RME ADI-2 DAC FS from Thomann currently costs €1199 including a 3-year full warranty. How much does a Topping A90D with the corresponding large DAC cost? Definitely not less.
Yes clearly this supply model supported by marketplaces like Amazon or Aliexpress is only sustainable (at best) for single use and scrap products...

Sokel

Master Contributor
In the EU and USA it may not be that difficult to find someone who can repair these devices for Topping so that the shipping costs are not so high.
There's no way finding technicians in EU and USA that will do the job for pennies,if that was the case all of the cheap far east manufacturers would do it.
It's been suggested multiple times,even by Amir I think that a repair center or something similar would be the way to go but probably the cost is too much for them.

Toni Mas

There's no way finding technicians in EU and USA that will do the job for pennies,if that was the case all of the cheap far east manufacturers would do it.
It's been suggested multiple times,even by Amir I think that a repair center or something similar would be the way to go but probably the cost is too much for them.
What? This cannot be admited and rma must be financed by the profit margin generated by the importer first and by the Factory. If they sell to cheap It is their problem, not the consumer's.
Morover, at least in the EU It is illegal, and even the shipping costs must be financed by the dealer.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What? This cannot be admited and rma must be financed by the profit margin generated by the importer first and by the Factory. If they sell to cheap It is their problem, not the consumer's.
Morover, at least in the EU It is illegal, and even the shipping costs must be financed by the dealer.
The main strength of cheap devices is exactly that,been cheap.
Cutting corners like after sale full support,or avoiding (European or USA) certifications or submitting to our local legislation is the obvious way to cut huge costs.

Note that some of the devices don't even have EU or USA reps while others have.
The ones that they don't (coincidently?) are some with built in PSU.

So,one takes it for what it is and with the accompanying risk.
What must be noted though is the cost always counts oner time,sometimes people here get beefs at higher cost devices but the very same devices hold their resale value and work like a charm for decades while the same time one buys 10 cheap ones at about the same or greater cost.

Toni Mas

Cutting corners like after sale full support,or avoiding (European or USA) certifications or submitting to our local legislation is the obvious way to cut huge costs.

What must be noted though is the cost always counts oner time,sometimes people here get beefs at higher cost devices but the very same devices hold their resale value and work like a charm for decades while the same time one buys 10 cheap ones at about the same or greater cost.
It is not aceptable! Laws are the same for all and at any price point!

Roland68

Major Contributor

Topping would just have to think outside the box, maybe they don't realize how much they are losing by doing this.

If shipping remained on the respective continent, then €60-70 of the shipping costs to China and back would be left over for the repair time, which should often be enough for the known problems (module replacement). At least this would mean less money wasted by injured customers when they have to pay for their own warranty anyway.
Alternatively, Topping could send complete repaired and tested boards to a workshop in the EU or USA (e.g. 10, 20 or 50 pieces) and only the boards are replaced on site. This is also totally easy to do from a customs perspective and without any additional costs (same number of repair boards in and out = no customs costs).

And try to get the €500-600 back from DHL or another shipping company if the package is lost and the customs declaration or Cn22/23 form shows a value of €20. Have fun.

I notice more and more often directly and in various forums that people are afraid to buy the LA90D, PA5 II, A70 Pro, etc. And now also with the DX9, because nobody knows exactly whether the modules are cast or not.

In my personal environment alone there were around 50 devices in the higher price range last year (at least 25 LA90D units), where people then switched to used devices, new devices from Audiophonics, Denafrips, RME, Yamaha, NAD. There were also a few high-quality DIY stories among them.
I don't even want to estimate how many fewer devices Topping sold in the high-priced area.
And since topping does nothing to increase customer trust in your brand, it probably won't get any better.

Selarom

If you're really looking for something that will last, why not get a Lake People or Violectric? You can get used HPA V200 for €400-500 and these devices will last at least 10-20 years and are very easy to repair.
Thank you. Will look into those..

Top Bottom