• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 cannot power vintage bookshelf speakers: Infinity RS-2

Tansen

Kindly help me understand why my setup cannot power vintage bookshelf speakers. I couldn’t find an answer in previous similar thread -https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d90-a90-with-power-amp-and-subwoofers.30702/

Mac to D10 to Topping A90 to XLR output to Vintage bookshelf speakers Infinity RS2.

Topping knobs are in pre, xlr and gain setting knob set to high.
I can barely power the speakers. Volume knob set to just short of max. Even using a eq software like sound source 5 with volume overdrive setting to 4X and almost max volume speakers just about croak. hiss and static too. AM I doing something wrong? Bad speakers or bad cable or A90 cannot power speakers.

Speaker specs as I got from seller are
Infinity RS2 bookshelf speakers in Production period: 1990's
Power Range: 15-100w Watts
Impedance: 8 ohms
Woofer: 6.5" Poly Cone w/Butyl Rubber Surround
Tweeter: 0.5" Soft Dome
Freq. Response: 50hz - 20khz Efficiency: 89db w/1m Crossover
Rear Ported Enclosure
Heavy Duty Binding Posts

delta76

Major Contributor
A90 is a headphone amp. You can't power a speaker with it. Not properly.

Look at LA90

OP
T

Tansen

A90 is a headphone amp. You can't power a speaker with it. Not properly.

Look at LA90
Thx. Can I buy a vintage amp like sansui r505 as a budget friendly alternative and use a90 as a pre amp?

delta76

Major Contributor
It should work. But i'd say a90 is quite a bit overkill for being just a preamp. Unless you want to keep it

OP
T

Tansen

It should work. But i'd say a90 is quite a bit overkill for being just a preamp. Unless you want to keep it
It’s my headphone setup. D10 balanced dac, topping a90- sennheiser hd660 and Hifiman HE6.
Speakers is a new additio to the setup.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
It’s my headphone setup. D10 balanced dac, topping a90- sennheiser hd660 and Hifiman HE6.
Speakers is a new additio to the setup.

You could just buy a cheap class D poweramp Instead.

Top Bottom