• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 276 82.6%

• Total voters

Verig

Real world load, overshoot, HF problems. Seems normal, the level is really low. But of course does not quite match their material.

Verig

Do we need perfect square wave on Amp (not DAC) like sine wave?
No. Square waves / impulses don't make sense for sound. If THD/IMD is ok I don't know why you'd take a look at squares. Is there an explanation for this test? And for Topping's advertising?

shrimp_dude

Anyone have a video or link to a video that shows the screen in action? You'd think a product with a screen with digital meters would be easy to find examples of it in motion.

RangerAudio

Anyone have a video or link to a video that shows the screen in action? You'd think a product with a screen with digital meters would be easy to find examples of it in motion.
There are no reviews out of the product, other than this one*. Which is sad. It's a promising product for sure.

moosso

I'm using Topping DX7 Pro+ currenctly and consider to upgrade, this looks attractive so I'm checking reviews about it.
About the real load test, I checked Hypex DIYpreamplifier's measurement, it has state of art performance too, I guess it just a hair better than A70 Pro for the high frequency IMD.

No. Square waves / impulses don't make sense for sound. If THD/IMD is ok I don't know why you'd take a look at squares. Is there an explanation for this test? And for Topping's advertising?
I know real world does not have square waves, but topping's material is a bit confusing me.
What's the difference if an AMP does not have overshoot issue? Can we see the difference from regular measurements?

I found no videos too, only pictures.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I made a quick video of my own device, but I don't know how to insert it.
Upload it to YouTube, set the video to unlisted so that only those with the link can find it, then post the link here.

szaki1001

The drive is Ifi Neo Stream, 24 bit/xxx file.

Surprisingly fine sound, no sharp highlights. Perhaps due to the drive (iFi), a warmer tone, which is very good for many headphones.

Dynamics, stage, balanced sound. I love it! Sadly I sold my Hifiman HE1000SE headphones, and they would have winged it!

Tony Roma

Hi, anyone who has this amp getting distortion ?, i am getting it on the right channel on some music at higher volumes.

szaki1001

Hi, anyone who has this amp getting distortion ?, i am getting it on the right channel on some music at higher volumes.
I don't hear any distortion. Alison Balsom - Caprice. No distortion, but I will test it on wilder music and write about it. I'm falling now, she has such a beautiful voice! More low notes, punchier, faster. Requires a silver cable.

Tony Roma

I don't hear any distortion. Alison Balsom - Caprice. No distortion, but I will test it on wilder music and write about it. I'm falling now, she has such a beautiful voice! More low notes, punchier, faster. Requires a silver cable.
What sort of volume are you listening at?

moosso

It’s definitely the amp as have just tried another and it’s fine ☹️
You can do a simple test, try swap the headphone connector (if your headphone has dual connectors), if the left channel start distort after swap then it's on the amp, if distortion still at right channel then it's on your headphone.
I think this amp is suit for low sensitivity planars, it can clip or destory other headphones easily.
Wait till DX9 ;)
Yes though I don't know why topping start putting orange LED in their new amps (EHA5, DX9), maybe it can make the sound warmer.:)

Top Bottom