• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 277 82.7%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Slightly different specs from the Pre90, but it also has the headphone amp and the display to help out with seeing what's going on.
So, at this price point what is advantage of ordering the pre90?

Currently, I don't see the advantage on ordering a Pre90. If Topping has an update for the Pre90, D90SE and A90D in the works, then most likely that would be the one to get instead of the current Pre90.

A70pro sounds excellent, it is a non dyed, transparent, and stretchy tone.

Secondly, I must give a thumbs up to its Preamplifier. I can't hear any difference between plugging the speaker directly into the DAC and the A70Pro, just like it doesn't seem to have passed through this device....

80221fcd6882bb1d253bfa27203846e我.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
I must give a thumbs up to its Preamplifier. I can't hear any difference between plugging the speaker directly into the DAC and the A70Pro, just like it doesn't seem to have passed through this device...
Wire with gain!

Music1969

Major Contributor
I really wonder about this, too.

Nothing to wonder - other than its sexy looks, I can't see anything where A90D is better

Looove that dot matrix display for volume.

Unique , stands out as different

But A70 Pro beats it in everything else

jruser

A70pro sounds excellent, it is a non dyed, transparent, and stretchy tone.

Secondly, I must give a thumbs up to its Preamplifier. I can't hear any difference between plugging the speaker directly into the DAC and the A70Pro, just like it doesn't seem to have passed through this device....

View attachment 286112
Can you test the range on the remote for us? That was an issue with some past Topping products.

jruser

So, if you use the Ext90 with this, do the extra inputs also have the higher impedance? Or does the Ext90 have its own impedance?

jdan1457

How does an end user get the 12.6w at 32ohm out of this amp?

Is the reason Amir's measurements not as high as theirs because he's measuring at lower distortion?

Do amps in daily use somehow produce more distortion and reach more power?

I just don't get how they can claim that level of power if a person can't actually reach that in daily use.

Edit: I guess a better question would be under what conditions does the distortion and power increase to reach the 12.6w?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
How does an end user get the 12.6w at 32ohm out of this amp?
Take the Amp out of the box, give it power, plug in a DAC and Headphone, and turn up the volume.
No special configuration is needed to get 12.6W at 32Ω.

Is the reason Amir's measurements not as high as theirs because he's measuring at lower distortion?
Yes.

Do amps in daily use somehow produce more distortion and reach more power?
No.

I just don't get how they can claim that level of power if a person can't actually reach that in daily use.
But a person can reach that in daily use.

Edit: I guess a better question would be under what conditions does the distortion and power increase to reach the 12.6w?
High enough input voltage + high enough volume on the Amp.

jdan1457

I guess I really just thought that I was gonna read Amir's review and it was gonna be 12.6w. The numbers for the A90D and L70 were the same/close enough to their marketing but this one isn't.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is max input voltage of this amp?
I don't know. Probably 9+ Vrms.

The only person I know who tests max input voltage is @nagster

See:

raif71

Major Contributor
Take the Amp out of the box, give it power, plug in a DAC and Headphone, and turn up the volume.
No special configuration is needed to get 12.6W at 32Ω.

Yes.

No.

But a person can reach that in daily use.

Can a headphone with rated 32ohm be able to withstand the full 12.6W ?

Sray

So, if you use the Ext90 with this, do the extra inputs also have the higher impedance? Or does the Ext90 have its own impedance?
I think the ext90 should be just an input switch box controlled by main box. The main input stage should be reside in A70Pro itself.
The guess is because performance doesn't change between main input and ext90.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Sray @Music1969
What Topping calls Input sensitivity is the voltage required at the input to clip the Amp's output with the Amp at 100% volume.

You can reduce the Amp's volume and feed it higher voltage than what that sheet says.

For example, According to Topping, the L70 in High gain has an input sensitivity of 1.9V:
6866310 (1).jpg

Yet, if you reduce the volume so that the output doesn't clip, then you can input up to 10.4V with the Amp in High gain:
tp_l70_xlr_maxin_02.png

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Sray @Music1969
What Topping calls Input sensitivity is the voltage required at the input to clip the Amp's output with the Amp at 100% volume.
The low gain balanced sensitivities are probably close to the limit of the balanced inputs. When the amp is internally single-ended, balanced inputs go through op-amps before attenuation, and these op-amps have voltage limits. Single-ended inputs, on the other hand, can be attenuated as they are and can take higher voltages.

Top Bottom