• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

kkeretic

I got my A50s today, dunno why I cannot upload photo ('too large').
Anyone pls confirm that power button has a loose 'click' position by default and not a fixed one?

You mean wobbly buttons or? Both of my D50s have somewhat wobbly power buttons. I also have two A50 and one A50s and their buttons feel more fixed than D50s, but I would not call it fixed. There are probably variations in gaps between plastic buttons and microswitches. These buttons are actually microswitches with power/gain toggle functions.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yes a bit rattling to say so. I know it got multiple functions but it is the first time to see this kind.

Overseas

Major Contributor
For 'normal' headphones like M50x/ Meze 99 Classics with 32 ohm or around and sensitivity around 100 dB - I listen at 8:00 o'clock (not in the morning...), stacked with E30. I am struggling to see exactly what additional advantage I can perceive strictly from the amp itself.
When I feed A50s directly from the phone I listen at 9:00 o'clock and it seems the device brings some additional depth/ amplitude.
So first priority for my use case seems to be: decent phone + decent headphones. For closed headphones with 32 ohm and 105 dB it is clear that amplification is not needed but optional.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have considered this to pair with my D50S, would the power decrease be noticeable from something like a Schiit Heresy or JDS Labs Atom?

HD-650 and Sundaras are my main cans.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have considered this to pair with my D50S, would the power decrease be noticeable from something like a Schiit Heresy or JDS Labs Atom?

HD-650 and Sundaras are my main cans.

I 'upgraded' from a JDS Labs Atom to two A50s - one at my desk paired with a D50s & P50 (so less power from the A50s), and one at my beside fed from a CCA. I run HD 660 S (desk) and Drop HE-4XX (bedside) and have no issues with achieving a suitable volume in either case. I use the pentacon balanced cable with the HD 660 S, so the power deficit associated with the P50 is less of a concern.

Bjpenn88

Forum Donor
I have read that the A50s SE output is not as good as L30. Given the recent issues with L30, which amp can provide equivalent performance to L30 SE output?

Veri

Master Contributor
I have read that the A50s SE output is not as good as L30. Given the recent issues with L30,

Well, all new/currently sold L30 have the issues now resolved though. I'm not aware of any "remaining" issues.

4udio

I have read that the A50s SE output is not as good as L30. Given the recent issues with L30, which amp can provide equivalent performance to L30 SE output?
SE output has much less power than L30. A50s has really nice balanced out.
Checkout this review :

Last edited:

raymate

How is this with the Senns HD598, HD58x, HD600 and HD650, I'm thinking of getting the tower with D50s and the P50

Im 90% Senns user and then some random cans like Koss and AudioTechnica

And to follow that up any good dealers in Canada to get the trio from?

Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

How is this with the Senns HD598, HD58x, HD600 and HD650, I'm thinking of getting the tower with D50s and the P50

Im 90% Senns user and then some random cans like Koss and AudioTechnica

And to follow that up any good dealers in Canada to get the trio from?

I have the HD598 and HD 660s and both work great. I have the D50s & A50s with a generic power supply.

Last edited:

raymate

I have the HD598 and HD 660s and both work great. I I have the D50s & A50s with a generic power supply.
Thats good to hear, all of the reviews for the Toppings don't really talk about the Senns, the only reference a reviewer made was the Seens needs warmer amp. So I was beginning to think they would not be a good fit. At the moment im running out of FiiO gear amps and dacs

raymate

That's what EQ is for. Would you buy a car that always steers a bit to the left? Wouldn't it be better to buy a car that goes straight and only goes left when you tell it to :)

And welcome to the forum!
Agreed, thank you and perfect avatar with Morph :)

semektet

Hi everyone, being quite new to the forum, this will be my first post and request for thoughts/advice.

I can see that Topping A50s is quite a robust piece, and made me wonder whether it will further enhance the experience with my Dragonfly Cobalt that I am using with my phone/tablet at home. As far as I know the output of Cobalt is 2.1 volts, and cannot be sure if this will be enough to feed A50s. Can something like Cobalt (or any other portable DAC) be suitable for such use with a desktop amp like A50s?

Any thoughts appreciated.

raymate

Really want the 50 trio stack but I was thinking would just buying the Topping DX7 Pro be a better option, its all the three parts of the 50 series in one box. Does anyone have any views on why that would be a better or not so better idea? Having the 3 parts separate does that give you any advantages. Would the DX7 Pro sound better?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi everyone, being quite new to the forum, this will be my first post and request for thoughts/advice.

I can see that Topping A50s is quite a robust piece, and made me wonder whether it will further enhance the experience with my Dragonfly Cobalt that I am using with my phone/tablet at home. As far as I know the output of Cobalt is 2.1 volts, and cannot be sure if this will be enough to feed A50s. Can something like Cobalt (or any other portable DAC) be suitable for such use with a desktop amp like A50s?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Don't see why not. Perhaps lower the volume (-3dB or 80/100 Windows volume) to prevent clipping just in case.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really want the 50 trio stack but I was thinking would just buying the Topping DX7 Pro be a better option, its all the three parts of the 50 series in one box. Does anyone have any views on why that would be a better or not so better idea? Having the 3 parts separate does that give you any advantages. Would the DX7 Pro sound better?

If you mean that the DX7 Pro contains a DAC, amplifier and power supply, then yes, it is broadly equivalent to the D50s/A50s/P50 stack, but in a single box. It's almost certain that you would be able to hear any difference between the two systems in properly blind, level matched test.

If you can afford the DX7 Pro, then I would probably buy that over the '50 stack, if only to get the balanced outputs which are superior for driving powered monitors. I would have preferred a single box solution myself, but i'd already invested in the D50s, so it was cheaper to add the A50s when it came out a year later. If you want a single box solution, then the Sabaj D5 and the SMSL M500 are also worth considering (both reviewed here on ASR).

*edit* actually, I think I would buy the A30Pro/D50pro stack over the DX7 Pro (when they become available).

Top Bottom