• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's what I do, but the amp gets hot and the blutack goes gooey...

If it gets gooey, you can always try a little (and i mean a little) 3m 468mp tape. People use it on 3d printers to hold heaters to the build plate, and worksurfaces to the build plate. I used it as a kid to make sails for remote control model boats. It's good to over 120°C indefinitely and 200°C for short periods of time.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Is there a same-size DAC that performs well that would make a good stack with the A50?

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
I notice that Kardas have announced a connector design that creates a balanced RCA. Tip and sleeve on the central pin. Avoids massive XLR connectors and I assume is electrically compatible with single ended. I’m ambivalent about new connector designs, they usually die. Kardas claim it is an open design and available to all.
I guess it might gain some traction. But it isn’t as if Kardas have any market share right now. Topping could probably make or break the idea.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I notice that Kardas have announced a connector design that creates a balanced RCA. Tip and sleeve on the central pin. Avoids massive XLR connectors and I assume is electrically compatible with single ended. I’m ambivalent about new connector designs, they usually die. Kardas claim it is an open design and available to all.
I guess it might gain some traction. But it isn’t as if Kardas have any market share right now. Topping could probably make or break the idea.
There's discussion on the forum and between us engineers.
The issue was that the connector is not available. The design isn't even consolidated.
The cables are potentially more expensive to manufacturer too.
Currently if we are going to save space for balanced ins and outs, we will use 6.35mm. It's already widely used, and only down side is that it is a bit deeper on the pcb. Other than that simply no reason to use balanced RCA for us. For even smaller devices 4.4mm is the way to go.
Things may change. If the connectors aren't up to the standard or either too expensive, it just won't happen. Or it may end up very good.

Labjr

Major Contributor
IMO, XLR is a more robust connector than a coaxial type of connector. What about using mini XLR?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
IMO, XLR is a more robust connector than a coaxial type of connector. What about using mini XLR?
Mini XLR is not in any standard. For the longest time it being existing, virtually no one is using it(on headphones yes i know). It speaks for itself. 6.35mm is just the natural way to go.

Vantavimeow

Just ordered from audiophonics, restocked today £194

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased an A50s from Shenzhen Audio via Amazon UK. The last update from the courier was 'Hand over to airline' 3 days ago. The P50 that I ordered at the same time arrived on Monday (same Amazon order, but different shipping numbers provided by Shenzhen Audio). Hmmmm...

DLS79

Forum Donor
I purchased an A50s from Shenzhen Audio via Amazon UK. The last update from the courier was 'Hand over to airline' 3 days ago. The P50 that I ordered at the same time arrived on Monday (same Amazon order, but different shipping numbers provided by Shenzhen Audio). Hmmmm...

Maybe regional warehouse vs factory direct?

Vantavimeow

I don't dare order from outside the UK/EU, customs are ready with the barbed strapon at the first chance they get :/ that and the shipping times etc are insanely long/unpredictable.

kkeretic

I don't dare order from outside the UK/EU, customs are ready with the barbed strapon at the first chance they get :/ that and the shipping times etc are insanely long/unpredictable.

My last three orders from Audiophonics took 3 weeks to arrive to Croatia :( Was only 4 days before covid lock downs. Colissimo, slow as hell. Don't know how long would it take to arrive with TNT. In one moment I found myself only a click away from ordering both the A50S and L30 today morning to replace a pair of A50 amps, but I just have no nerves to wait on Colissimo. A50S mark II may come out before the package would arrive ;). And somehow still can't justify spending another ~350€ on something that should in practice sound the same with stuff I have, to put lab results aside.

Sukie

Forum Donor
If you order from Amazon UK you shouldn't have to pay import VAT/duties. This is included in the price charged. Amazon's 3rd part seller T&Cs make this clear.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe regional warehouse vs factory direct?

Maybe, they had different consignment numbers. The tracking link within Amazon doesn't work for the A50s. There are separate tracking buttons for the P50 and A50s, but only the P50 one works. However, the A50s is showing as 'delivered' because the P50 has been delivered. I have contacted ShenzhenAudio about this, so I'll see what response I get back.

Vantavimeow

If you order from Amazon UK you shouldn't have to pay import VAT/duties. This is included in the price charged. Amazon's 3rd part seller T&Cs make this clear.
Given that I've been stung by ebay purchases in the past and it doesn't implicitly state that customs are covered in the checkout section my apprehension isn't unfounded. I'm familiar with the concept of EU counties being inclusive of VAT etc, china being in amazon's global export program isn't as intuitive.

Veri

Master Contributor
Not true at all, there's plenty of Amazon UK orders that are shipped straight from China. It needs to be sold by, or fulfilled by Amazon to be sure customs are included...

My last three orders from Audiophonics took 3 weeks to arrive to Croatia :( Was only 4 days before covid lock downs. Colissimo, slow as hell.
Colissimo = local post -> local post afaik, which can be slow yes. TNT should be quite a bit faster. I went with DPD last order and it was fast..ish.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Not true at all, there's plenty of Amazon UK orders that are shipped straight from China. It needs to be sold by, or fulfilled by Amazon to be sure customs are included...
They may be shipped from China but Amazon's seller T&Cs state that the 3rd party seller is responsible for either incorporating the duty/VAT into the price or alerting the buyer that there may be additional charges. This has nothing to do with the fulfilled by Amazon service.

Veri

Master Contributor
They may be shipped from China but Amazon's seller T&Cs state that the 3rd party seller is responsible for either incorporating the duty/VAT into the price or alerting the buyer that there may be additional charges.
First I've heard of that, does that mean you can claim the duties back from seller then?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
First I've heard of that, does that mean you can claim the duties back from seller then?

"or alerting the buyer that there may be additional charges."

This is not a difficult task- disclaimer on any product description/ listing:

"You may be charged VAT.duty/ customs charges- these are your problem and we dont know how much they may be" pretty much sorts that out- ie - makes price comparison very hard between a seller that covers them in the price and one that doesnt and makes such a disclaimer , probably in small print.

Top Bottom