• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

PuX

I hope one day Chinese brands learn to make their devices look more professional.

Like use one single font for all text, put all inputs/outputs at the same level, stop using small ugly screens, blue (or bright in general) LEDs and so on.

Performance is already nice obviously, looks can be improved much easier.

MadMan

In a vacuum this is nice and all, but it seems to me one would only buy this amp only for aesthetic reasons if you must have a matching stack with the D50s. The 'it's balanced' point doesn't seem relevant when to get any benefit, you need a non-realistic high output single-ended DAC, and if you did have one just save $60 and get an L30. I guess it fills a slot in a perhaps overcrowded product lineup, and maybe for the derpy masses who think 'balanced must be better.'

PuX

wait, it accepts only unbalanced (RCA) but can output to balanced 4.4 mm?

My understanding of what 'balanced' means in 'balanced headphone amp' is lacking, but this makes me even more confused.

Now that I think about it, normal XLR in = 2 * 3 pins, balanced XLR = 4 pins. Extra pins are just ground or something?

And in 4.4 headphone connector there are 5 contacts, while RCA only has 2 * 2 contacts, where does the extra one come from? :)

My best guess right now is 4-pin XLR has separate ground per channel, while 4.4 does not, still confused.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
The 'it's balanced' point doesn't seem relevant when to get any benefit, you need a non-realistic high output single-ended DAC
With 2.0V input, L30 6.3mm outputs 117 mW @ 300 ohm, A50s 4.4mm outputs 209mW @ 300 ohm... so it's still about 2x more powerful even without the "non-realistic" higher-than-2V output DAC. So it's more powerful if you can both use the 4.4mm output but also don't want to shell out for the most expensive Topping A90.

My understanding of what 'balanced' means in 'balanced headphone amp' is lacking, but this makes me even more confused.
Answer is differential balanced. It is still most definitely balanced... massdrop 789 also outputs balanced 4-pin even with RCA inputs. Nothing too odd, really.

Vini darko

Major Contributor

I think part of the problem is the nomenclature. This amp would be better described as full bridge out of the pentacon socket. And single ended out of the 6.4 socket.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a vacuum this is nice and all, but it seems to me one would only buy this amp only for aesthetic reasons if you must have a matching stack with the D50s. The 'it's balanced' point doesn't seem relevant when to get any benefit, you need a non-realistic high output single-ended DAC, and if you did have one just save $60 and get an L30. I guess it fills a slot in a perhaps overcrowded product lineup, and maybe for the derpy masses who think 'balanced must be better.'

The target market does seem very specific/narrow. I thought pentaconn-based balanced headphones were still the minority and that most balanced headphones use XLR connectors (but I haven't been following the high-end headphone market, so I could be wrong).

Atanasi

Forum Donor
My best guess right now is 4-pin XLR has separate ground per channel, while 4.4 does not, still confused.
4-pin XLR has two poles for each channel, without a ground connector. 4.4mm also has the ground.
A balanced output usually drives both poles of a channel with inverted signals, while a single-ended output drives only one and grounds the other. Consequently, a balanced output has the voltage doubled. The balanced output works this way even if the input is single-ended.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
4-pin XLR has two poles for each channel, without a ground connector. 4.4mm also has the ground.
A balanced output usually drives both poles of a channel with inverted signals, while a single-ended output drives only one and grounds the other. Consequently, a balanced output has the voltage doubled. The balanced output works this way even if the input is single-ended.

You can also have a ground on a 4-pin connector, namely the screen is the 5th (ground) connection. I know Geshelli Erish uses the ground this way.
The reason Topping opted for Pentaconn may well be future proofing but above all size.

DLS79

Forum Donor
seems the Jeremy Clarkson force is strong with some here!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, the two are different animals. Balanced input is designed to get rid of currents that flow between chassis of two pieces in the audio chain, causing ground loops. Balanced input eliminates this and can be a great help in reducing chances of hum and noise induced from the upstream PC.

Balanced output should not have been called that. There is no ground reference with headphones so all outputs are "balanced in nature." In this context then its main value is potential for quadrupling output power.

Having the chain inside the device be balanced/differential is of little value and independent of the above.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The target market does seem very specific/narrow. I thought pentaconn-based balanced headphones were still the minority and that most balanced headphones use XLR connectors (but I haven't been following the high-end headphone market, so I could be wrong).

My Sennheiser HD 660s came with a balanced cable with a 4.4mm pentacon plug which I shall be plugging into an A50s when it arrives.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Any reason to get this over the L30? Either way, another incredibly showing from Topping
If you need BAL out.
If you need a full stack with P50 power supply.
If you already have D50s.
If you don't like glass front panel on L30 or the knob.
If you like something feels more solid on hand.

Thalis

The RCA Out is passthough if gain is set to 0dB? So its not a pre out? What if gain is at +6? I assume this is "unplug headphones to use RCA Out scenario"?

Top Bottom