• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

Vantavimeow

While I want an A50S just to complete my D50S/P50 stack, is there much/any meaningful difference coming from an Atom? I'm currently using DT1990PRO

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Same 50mv SINAD for both, so save the money and get the L30
Gald you value 50mV SINAD. And indeed they are about the same. However it needs to be informed that L30 and A50s surpassed the noise performance of APx555. True 50mV SINAD is 104dB-105dB for both.
The number is measured with a noise amplifier and calculate the real value afterwards.

w1000i

Forum Donor
You still have the P50 right? Would be great to let people know the real difference with different supply. Would be great to also have FFT with 50mV output. Thanks in advance.
If someone improve the power supply noise can this always contribute to the output stage ?

Georgrig

You still have the P50 right? Would be great to let people know the real difference with different supply. Would be great to also have FFT with 50mV output. Thanks in advance.
It seems you talk from experience @JohnYang1997. Why don't you post it instead if it's not much of a hassle? I, personally, do trust you.

Veri

Master Contributor
It seems you talk from experience @JohnYang1997. Why don't you post it instead if it's not much of a hassle? I, personally, do trust you.
Less leakage current, probably less (grounding) noise. Would be cool if @amirm could verify. But in any case, it doesn't look like there's any audible issues with stock supply whatsoever.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If someone improve the power supply noise can this always contribute to the output stage ?
This is different. This is leakage current of SMPS. It has the effect on the input ground hence it's not removed by the PSRR(power supply rejection ratio). Transformers usually have lower leakage current. Hence it's better. L30 is probably the best on the market in this regard. There are ways to eliminate the leakage current for SMPS. Another low capacitive coupling DC-DC isolated SMPS after the first SMPS solves the issue. But these isolated SMPS are small in power and mostly expensive. It requires a lot of space to parallel to solve the issue. Not practical.
Luckily, reducing volume position also reduces the noise at the output so that's good. This is why 50mV performance is not affect.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is different. This is leakage current of SMPS. It has the effect on the input ground hence it's not removed by the PSRR(power supply rejection ratio).
What is the impact of leakage current with A50s compared to A90? You said that it is not recommended to use A90 without a ground connection because of building up leakage current. However, not all apartments have grounded outlets. Is A90 still usable in such an environment?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What is the impact of leakage current with A50s compared to A90? You said that it is not recommended to use A90 without a ground connection because of building up leakage current. However, not all apartments have grounded outlets. Is A90 still usable in such an environment?
Usable but I won't exactly call it safe. If your apartments don't have grounded outlets just don't buy A90. This is my recommendation. You sure can choose to use it but I won't be responsible for giving a potentially dangerous advice.

Veri

Master Contributor
This is different. This is leakage current of SMPS. It has the effect on the input ground hence it's not removed by the PSRR(power supply rejection ratio). Transformers usually have lower leakage current. Hence it's better. L30 is probably the best on the market in this regard. There are ways to eliminate the leakage current for SMPS. Another low capacitive coupling DC-DC isolated SMPS after the first SMPS solves the issue. But these isolated SMPS are small in power and mostly expensive. It requires a lot of space to parallel to solve the issue. Not practical.
Is it already decided what production unit A30 Pro will be using? :)

PuX

I think the Topping E30 and L30 have fantastic industrial design, as do the Soncoz SGD1, Matrix X-Sabre Pro, and really most SMSL products. Sure, some “Chi-fi” is of the “form follows function” variety—to be kind—but there are almost as many examples that ooze class.
Soncoz, Matrix - ok.

Topping, SMSL - not to my taste.

I can name Lumin as one more Chinese company that has pretty good industrial design, but in general most low-cost products look pretty bad (multiple fonts, ugly LEDs and so on).

Labjr

Major Contributor
Soncoz, Matrix - ok.

I can name Lumin as one more Chinese company that has pretty good industrial design, but in general most low-cost products look pretty bad (multiple fonts, ugly LEDs and so on).

Also their brand names are strange words.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Soncoz, Matrix - ok.

Well, l mentioned the Topping ‘30 series precisely because they don’t contain the things that bug you—no bright LED’s, no mixed fonts. Just clean industrial design with a consistent look and a nice OLED screen for the DAC.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I think aune have some of the best looking stuff coming out of China currently. Very similar to musical fidelity in a lot of ways (same industrial designer?). I like the minimalist smsl and topping stuff too. Sound artist have a good looking range of speakers admittedly very tannoy inspired , no bad thing really.

Top Bottom