• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30pro vs A90.

Gurra1980

Hope this is the right place for this question and also I have not found a thread about it.

I'm thinking about buying a headphone amp, so i'm looking at these two contenders.

Question: Is there a reason to buy the A90 over the A30pro, from Amirs review I can't think of any except for maybe reliability? The a90 is about 100dollars more expensive for me in Sweden with shipping. Not a dealbreaker if the amp is better i any way.

I like the pre out funktion of the a90, but no remote control will yield it unsusable for me. Is it possible to use an existing Topping remote for it?

Thanks!

Fernando

Forum Donor
If you are looking for maximum power in the conventional output, the a30pro is better.

If you are going to use only the balanced output both are phenomenal.

Neither works with remote control.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you plan to run the headphones on balanced output, the a90. If not, the a30 that has only single ended out, but an extremely powerful one

OP
G

Gurra1980

If you plan to run the headphones on balanced output, the a90. If not, the a30 that has only single ended out, but an extremely powerful one
But it has balanced hasn't it? Otherwise, whats the four pin balanced output for? From amirs review: Topping A30Pro balanced input and output headphone amplifier and pre-amp.

Human Bass

But it has balanced hasn't it? Otherwise, whats the four pin balanced output for? From amirs review: Topping A30Pro balanced input and output headphone amplifier and pre-amp.
No balanced output, just the input. The 4-pin is for convenience only, it outputs the same power of the 6.3mm

OP
G

Gurra1980

No balanced output, just the input. The 4-pin is for convenience only, it outputs the same power of the 6.3mm
Oh this is a completely new to me, what does amir mean with balanced output then? And what's the use for the balanced inputs?

Human Bass

Oh this is a completely new to me, what does amir mean with balanced output then? And what's the use for the balanced inputs?

The balanced input allows a higher voltage signal and the whole thing of less noise by cancelling differences between the positive and negative signals.

Amir showed that both outputs were the same in the case of the A30.

devopsprodude

Yes I actually think I will do that, I like the bigger formfactor of the a90, it just feels more premium and serious, but that is not a deal-breaker.
Yeah, since I went with Gustard X16, the A90 was a better match in terms of size/form factor. Also a month ago A30 units were on backorder and I didn't want to wait any longer. Plus I wanted a fully differential stack, not that it's made any difference in how things sound, it just seemed like a cool thing to have at the time.

OP
G

Gurra1980

Yeah, since I went with Gustard X16, the A90 was a better match in terms of size/form factor. Also a month ago A30 units were on backorder and I didn't want to wait any longer. Plus I wanted a fully differential stack, not that it's made any difference in how things sound, it just seemed like a cool thing to have at the time.
I actually bought the Gustard x16 a couple of weeks ago, it replaced my chord Qutest. Great DAC! I guess it sounds nice together with the a90!?

Fernando

Forum Donor
Topping A30 Pro: 300ohm: 730mw / 33ohm: 5,5watt
“Balanced”: 300ohm: 813mw / 50ohm: 3,4watt

Topping A90: 300ohm:196mw(excelent) / 33ohm:2 watts
50ohm:4,8watts (balanced)

Volikovvv

Just tested both, i find A30 pro sounds more interesting to me, A30 pro has more punch on low frequency, a little bit smaller soundstage, but from my point of view, a30 pro is more enjoyable and more emotional, just IMHO,i will stay with d90 + a30 pro.

Tested ftom single end on beyerdynamic dt1990

Last edited:

Fernando

Forum Donor
Just tested both, i find A30 pro sounds more interesting to me, A30 pro has more punch on low frequency, a little bit smaller soundstage, but from my point of view, a30 pro is more enjoyable and more emotional, just IMHO,i will stay with d90 + a30 pro.

Tested ftom single end on beyerdynamic dt1990
There are things that you comment that are impossible for you to check with your ear ... it has also been shown that those differences that you indicate do not exist.

Volikovvv

Fernando, it was IMHO, it is my opinion and not more than this, actually i don't agree with you at all, but! I does not matter;) peace bro. I hope this forum is open to different opinions, if not, sorry for that

Top Bottom