• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

platimn

Is this still one of the best price/performance balanced amps? I am interested in an amp for the HE6SE v2.

platimn

If you don't count the Topping L50, Sabaj A20 or the Atom, i think so.
A-ha. Thank you. I have the Atom already, but I am looking for some more power for the HE6SE v2. I already tested them out on it myself. While I've got you here, how do you think the Sabaj A20 would do as a headphone amp?

Noodles

Clean and with plenty of power. Slightly weird outs placement (on the back).
They are analogous with their SMSL counterparts.
Don’t know how well they hold up in the long run as it’s out for just a little while though.

platimn

Clean and with plenty of power. Slightly weird outs placement (on the back).
They are analogous with their SMSL counterparts.
Don’t know how well they hold up in the long run as it’s out for just a little while though.
Ah, yeah. The A20h. I was looking at the A20 speaker amp. We surely aren't starved for choice now. I may try it myself if Amir doesn't get a chance to review it soon.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Is this still one of the best price/performance balanced amps? I am interested in an amp for the HE6SE v2.

The A30Pro drives my AEON 2 Noire, HD660S and Sundaras without any effort. I have been contemplating the idea of getting a Benchmark HPA4 but then every review I read of the A30Pro shows me that I don't really need to spend $3000 to get the same performance of the A30Pro. At this point, I think I will be updating my A30Pro with the successor of the A90 which I hope it releases this year ;)

Arnas

The A30Pro drives my AEON 2 Noire, HD660S and Sundaras without any effort. I have been contemplating the idea of getting a Benchmark HPA4 but then every review I read of the A30Pro shows me that I don't really need to spend $3000 to get the same performance of the A30Pro. At this point, I think I will be updating my A30Pro with the successor of the A90 which I hope it releases this year ;)
Same here, Heard that opamps is noticably better in a30pro... My dream combo would be A90pro with Matrix x sabre 3.
Really like how luxurious X sabre looks and A90 looks pretty cool too.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Same here, Heard that opamps is noticably better in a30pro... My dream combo would be A90pro with Matrix x sabre 3.
Really like how luxurious X sabre looks and A90 looks pretty cool too.

Agree!! The X-SABRE 3 is by far the best piece of electronic I have ever owned. It really deserves a more luxurious headphone amp but the important thing is that the A30Pro gets the job done at a fraction of the cost of the Benchmark HPA4. But still I would love to own a Benchmark HPA4 :D

Pepper81

Hi Guys I've a Question
Toppinng A30 pro is a "pure" balanced Headphone Ampli (inner circuit) or has just XLR Input/output?

Noodles

I don't think there are pure balanced amps anymore - A30 pro certainly isn't one. You can use XLR in and whichever headphone output you want. Same as you use RCA in and whichever output.
Now for the passthrough - yes. If you put XLR in you only get sound from the TRS outs same as the RCA->RCA.

Pepper81

Yeah I suspected it was so!
Anyway,What’s the point of spending extra money on an amplifier with balanced inputs if it’s like having a single ended DAC/AMP connection?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Guys I've a Question
Toppinng A30 pro is a "pure" balanced Headphone Ampli (inner circuit) or has just XLR Input/output?
A30Pro is not "true" balanced. Don't think it's possible to make a "true" balanced headphone AMP with the same specs and performance as the A30Pro in the same price bracket.

What do you need "true" balanced for?
Amir mentioned more then once that objectively there isn't any real need for balanced headphone output other then the extra power it might provide. Don't think balanced output is going to add much in this case as the SE output power of the A30Pro is already extraordinary.
A30Pro beats the flagship A90 when it comes to SE output power and the A30Pro SE output is only 20% on average lower then the A90's balanced output.

A30Pro SE output can drive 99.5% of the headphones, so what do you hope to get/gain from "true" balanced?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah I suspected it was so!
Anyway,What’s the point of spending extra money on an amplifier with balanced inputs if it’s like having a single ended DAC/AMP connection?
See my other reply.
Balanced input on the AMP, and so balanced output on the DAC has a real world advantage that it often helps against ground loops.
Balanced output on the AMP only helps if the SE output doesn't provide enough power.

Noodles

See my other reply.
Balanced input on the AMP, and so balanced output on the DAC has a real world advantage that it often helps against ground loops.
Balanced output on the AMP only helps if the SE output doesn't provide enough power.
What he said :)

I'm now trying to deal with a ground loop issue in my setup which comes from my graphics card of all places ... and all single ended outputs are compromised... my balanced ones are quite fine.
So the reason for many is just ... options. For me specifically is trying to isolate an issue.

Pepper81

See my other reply.
Hello, thank you for the information

If I connect "Balanced" Input on the amp with "Balanced" Output of The DAC has to be via XLR cable yeah?
If I understand properly,This Type of connection Would be the BEST in order to not to hear ground loops
Is it right?

Top Bottom