• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

SeriousApple

Nice setup.
Why two D30Pro DACs though? (should really peal off the protective film of the display, makes it look way better :))

A30pro is by far the hottest component so personally I would put the A30Pro on top.
My stack with custom feet on the A30pro for more stability and better cooling:

View attachment 141281
I would put the A30 pro on top but I dont want dust falling through the holes and staying there. Also i have two D30 pros because i run my studio monitors from one of them. I could use the A30 pro bypass feature but my subwoofer has too much gain.

vco1

Its supposed to run hot but it does get really hot when stacking and when it summer and you dont have an ac running in your room. This is what i do with mine. I ordered this usb fan with variable speed and it keeps my stack super chill. The stack stays really cool with this fan setup. The fans are super silent on the lowest setting. Enjoy your topping a30 pro. :):)View attachment 141251
View attachment 141252
Not exactly a setup I'd place in my living room. ;-)

the_brunx

Has anyone noticed that when you unplug all your headphones while playing audio on high gain, and put your ear right next to the amp you can faintly hear the audio coming from inside the amp? I wonder from which component. it doesn't matter to me, just find it interesting.

Last edited:

Jman841

Does anyone know the outpout power of this amp with a 2v input?

I'm using it with my E30 DAC which only outputs 2v. My goal is to power the Hifiman HE6SE V2 that I have coming on Monday with this to see how they sound as my Atom Amp is very underpowered for it, however, I'm a bit worried that the output will be quite low at 50 ohms with a 2v input.

Testing this amp on my Sundara on high gain, I'm at around 12 o clock for similar volumes I get at 1 o clock on my Atom Amp which is concerning.

Do these need a 4v input to really get the power out of them?

Raex

Does anyone know the outpout power of this amp with a 2v input?

I'm using it with my E30 DAC which only outputs 2v. My goal is to power the Hifiman HE6SE V2 that I have coming on Monday with this to see how they sound as my Atom Amp is very underpowered for it, however, I'm a bit worried that the output will be quite low at 50 ohms with a 2v input.

Testing this amp on my Sundara on high gain, I'm at around 12 o clock for similar volumes I get at 1 o clock on my Atom Amp which is concerning.

Do these need a 4v input to really get the power out of them?

16Ohm 6W
32Ohm 3W
300Ohm 330mW

Raex

Has anyone noticed that when you unplug all your headphones while playing audio on high gain, and put your ear right next to the amp you can faintly hear the audio coming from inside the amp? I wonder from which component. it doesn't matter to me, just find it interesting.

For real? How can an amplifier produce sound (even faintly) with its inner parts and no speaker attached? Coil-whine yes but actual sound like playing a song? Never heard of any case like that? Someone else willing to check their unit for this?

Last edited:

Jman841

So what would that be at 50 ohms? I'm trying to figure out how much power it will have for the HE6SE V2.

raif71

Major Contributor
1626531675691.png

Maybe the amp should be put with these artifacts in this room :D

Sharur

magni heresy outperforms this with a single ended dac?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You're saying it will maintain 3.5 watts of output power with a 2v input?

It only does 3 watts into 33 ohms with 2v so this sounds off. What would the power be at 50 ohms with 2v input?
If 2V input then 2W. The problem is what's the deal if you are going to attenuate it anyway?

Jman841

If 2V input then 2W. The problem is what's the deal if you are going to attenuate it anyway?
I'm looking for a solution to drive the Hifiman HE 6SE V2 that is arriving monday. I picked this up with hopes for doing that, 2 watts might just be enough to do it, but will be pushing it to the limits. I really enjoy my Topping E30 dac and was hopping not to have to replace it to get more power.

The lowest price 4v DAC I can find is the Schiit Modius, so I may have to pick that up for these if I like them and figure out an Amp solution. On my Sundara, the A30 Pro does sound a bit better than my Atom Amp, but it's not a major difference. Power wise for the Sundara, both work fine, the HE 6SE V2 will be the true test.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm looking for a solution to drive the Hifiman HE 6SE V2 that is arriving monday. I picked this up with hopes for doing that, 2 watts might just be enough to do it, but will be pushing it to the limits. I really enjoy my Topping E30 dac and was hopping not to have to replace it to get more power.

The lowest price 4v DAC I can find is the Schiit Modius, so I may have to pick that up for these if I like them and figure out an Amp solution. On my Sundara, the A30 Pro does sound a bit better than my Atom Amp, but it's not a major difference. Power wise for the Sundara, both work fine, the HE 6SE V2 will be the true test.
Believe me 2W is much more than enough, unless you also do EQ. 100mW will get you very loud.
For 4V dacs, D10 Balanced is going to be released in 3 days. You may want to look at that. If you want the full power out of A30pro of course.
And yeah, amps don't really have much of a difference. You should benefit more from EQ and using better headphones. (I see you are having He6se v2). So yeah. Enjoy music.

Jman841

Believe me 2W is much more than enough, unless you also do EQ. 100mW will get you very loud.
For 4V dacs, D10 Balanced is going to be released in 3 days. You may want to look at that. If you want the full power out of A30pro of course.
And yeah, amps don't really have much of a difference. You should benefit more from EQ and using better headphones. (I see you are having He6se v2). So yeah. Enjoy music.

Very cool! I'm def interested in the D10 Balanced, I'll keep an eye out!

I do use EQ and would like to EQ the bass up a bit on these, but do know it will take a lot of power.

There's quite a few reports saying they need 4 watts at 50 ohms to be properly powered.

I would love to have a great all in one unit that had the power of the A30 Pro or A90, any chance a DX9 Pro is coming out anytime soon with a good power boost over the DX7 Pro?

Top Bottom