• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi

I was running the Dynamic range, Quality, Driver matching tests from audiocheck.com on my HE6SEv2, SU-9n and this amp at max gain and max volume. On some playthroughs of the test there would be a click sound that would occur and sound would temporary stop. Did a some more test to determine what was happening as I never experienced this before (typically listen to my music on mid gain 9-10 o'clock). Then I realized that the amp was going into protection mode.
The headphones/amp still sound the same but I am worried that I may have damaged them.

Thanks,
Why???

Quote from the website:
Adjust the level in your headphone so that this noise plays loudly, without being uncomfortably loud

There's no way you are going to make me believe max gain and max volume is comfortable audio level with those headphones with the A30 Pro

Why???

Quote from the website:

There's no way you are going to make me believe max gain and max volume is comfortable audio level with those headphones with the A30 Pro
The tests on the site are pretty quiet, no way I can listen to normal music at that volume.

lowtide1000

Hi

I was running the Dynamic range, Quality, Driver matching tests from audiocheck.com on my HE6SEv2, SU-9n and this amp at max gain and max volume. On some playthroughs of the test there would be a click sound that would occur and sound would temporary stop. Did a some more test to determine what was happening as I never experienced this before (typically listen to my music on mid gain 9-10 o'clock). Then I realized that the amp was going into protection mode.
The headphones/amp still sound the same but I am worried that I may have damaged them.

Thanks,
Same, ended up buying a SMSL AO200 just for the HE6SEv2 and using my A30Pro for everything else.

abhishek

Hi

Thanks,
IMG_20220513_235610~2.jpg

I found a permanent solution for A30 pro going into DC protection when driving power hungry HP on high gain, high volume.
By applying negative 30db gain to 10hz band in peace EQ software the DC offset in audio can be attenuated, and hence no more shutdown of amp when playing audio which has DC offset in it.
Till now I found 4 music which has DC offset in my music library and now I no need to worry about DC protection.

Last edited:
View attachment 206516
I found a permanent solution for A30 pro going into DC protection when driving power hungry HP on high gain, high volume.
By applying negative 30db gain to 10hz band in peace EQ software the DC offset in audio can be attenuated, and hence no more shutdown of amp when playing audio which has DC offset in it.
Till now I found 4 music which has DC offset in my music library and now I no need to worry about DC protection.
What program are you using to scan your library for DC offset?

abhishek

What program are you using to scan your library for DC offset?
There is no program available to scan for DC offset in audio library, but once your AMP detect DC while playing DC source you can use wave editor for Android which showed the DC OFFSET in recording waveform.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-141759_WaveEditor.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-141759_WaveEditor.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20220418-001044_WaveEditor.jpg
    Screenshot_20220418-001044_WaveEditor.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

abhishek

Hello
I'm planning to buy 4 PIN XLR Cable for my arya after seeing this Review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...view-balanced-headphone-amp.20366/post-872998
I know that power wise all three Jacks are same but does 4 pin XLR amp HP out measures well(channel crosstalk, DRange, Soundstage, frequency response)compared to 1/4 TRS HP out, since XLR has separate ground for each channel, the way male pin contact with female ?
Since 4 pin XLR is new to me, is it worth spending more on 4 pin XLR cable or I should stick with stock arya's 1/4 TRS cable?
Has any owner of a30 pro tried XLR and 1/4 jack blind tested and noticed real world difference?
any suggestions from experienced members would be greatful.

Last edited:

wacomme

Yes volume only adjusts headphone out. A30Pro outputs in the back are one to one to inputs in the back - pass through.
Being pass through, would the speaker volume be adjustable via the keyboard?

wacomme

I currently have the Dx3Pro+. It's a nice desktop unit that drives my Sundara headphones and powered speakers via RCA inputs. I can switch modes and play either the headphones or speakers (or both) through the amp/dac. I can also control the headphone or speaker volume via the dx3pro+ volume knob. However, while all is calm right now, I have electrical interference issues (probably due to a cable nightmare that needs fixing) that crop up from time to time. To prevent these issues in the future, I would like to use balanced input cables. If I return the DX3Pro+, what are my options? E50 + L50? 10Db + A30Pro? EX5? In speaker mode, I would love to be able to control the volume via the amp dial. If just pass through, would the speaker volume be controlled from my keyboard, or just the volume knob on the back of the powered speakers? And while I seem to have enough power with the DX3Pro+ to drive the Sundaras, it would be nice to have some additional power for future-proofing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Michael

abhishek

Are there any advantages of spending more money for a balanced cable vs. single ended with the A30 Pro?
I compared 4 pin XLR and 6.35mm out on A30 pro with my aryas stock 6.35mm and newly brought 4 pin XLR cable,
obviously noticed below improvements with XLR over 6.35mm jack,
Soundstage feels expanded,
No harsh vocals, feels smoother even when volume turned up,
Channel separation on tracks having more channel volume difference are more enjoyable,
Tiny details are easily heard.
It was very hard to tell the difference between 6.35 mm and 4 pin XLR when switching back and forth but the difference was there, not with all tracks, but some particular tracks are more enjoyable on XLR cable.

Last edited:

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I compared 4 pin XLR and 6.35mm out on A30 pro with my aryas stock 6.35mm and newly brought 4 pin XLR cable,
It was very hard to tell the difference between 6.35 mm and 4 pin XLR when switching back and forth but the difference was there.
Expectation bias mixed with a bit of purchase confirmation perhaps...
A30Pro is a SE AMP, both 6.35mm and XLR plugs are internally connected to the same output stage.

Angel II

Theoretically there should not be any difference on the perceived audio quality between balanced and unbalanced. Always if an amplifier is made with the right criteria.

Renaudjuju94

Bonsoir la famille audioscience!
Je crois que l'a30pro est asymétrique avec des entrées symétriques pour plus de commodité, pratique ! Que du bonheur avec l'ensemble a30pro,d30pro
IMG20220523201504.jpg

abhishek

Hello
Does Any member confirm a30 pro 4 pin XLR female jack provides ground connection for headphone 4 pin xlr male cable metallic shell grounding?

nagster

Hello
Does Any member confirm a30 pro 4 pin XLR female jack provides ground connection for headphone 4 pin xlr male cable metallic shell grounding?
DCR between the chassis and each point.
a30pro_01.jpg

Attachments

• a30pro_02.jpg
    a30pro_02.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 106
  • a30pro_03.jpg
    a30pro_03.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 105
  • a30pro_04.jpg
    a30pro_04.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 138

usern

I've had same results. Chassis and inputs are earthed. SE headphone out ground is earthed. 4 Pin XLR headphone output shield is not, but I suspect since it's not true balanced architecture, then common ground pins are earthed for 4 Pin XLR. Don't have thin enough probes to test that though.

Top Bottom