• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

usern

Do you know of any other amps that have high power single ended inputs and outputs for what I require? You probably know more than I do....
SMSL SH8s 1.3W @ 33 ohm with XLR in, with RCA in might be lower
index.php
amplifiers with RCA inputs:
Atom Amp+ 1.13W
index.php
Schiit Magni Heresy 2.37W
index.php

Leiker535

Yes, I ordered from Hifigo like I usually do.

So then its to do with the way the A30 Pro handles RCA inputs. As long as I understand the issue and its not broken I somewhat feel better. I guess the A30 Pro just doesnt fit my needs. Do you know of any other amps that have high power single ended inputs and outputs for what I require? You probably know more than I do....
The L50 features the same high power SE out as the A30 Pro, but it might be a toss given your situation and the fact that it is kind of similar with the A30 pro in circuit design.

Other than that, if you are not searching for transparency, there is OTL tube amps for high impedance cans that will offer the same Vrms the A30 pro was designed to offer in SE. Alternatively, the cheaper and most value option is the Schiit Magni as mentioned.

JazAV

The A30 Pro would serve you fine if only your RCA input was 2V (or more) and not just the one volt.. the lyr you mention might be a bigger power house but also comes with a lot more noise/THD+N.
You could also convert the 1V RCA to balanced using a device like this, I suppose (I own such a converter), it serves as RCA in XLR out and doubles the output voltage. But your set-up will start to look a bit clunky.

The L50 features the same high power SE out as the A30 Pro, but it might be a toss given your situation and the fact that it is kind of similar with the A30 pro in circuit design.

Other than that, if you are not searching for transparency, there is OTL tube amps for high impedance cans that will offer the same Vrms the A30 pro was designed to offer in SE.
Definitely not looking for OTL. The Magni Heresy offers good performance as does the SMSL SP200. I would consider either or even the Asgard 3. The Lyr 3 is right up there in terms of power but much higher noise so it still only a consideration. I did enjoy my Xduoo MT-602 before I upgraded so maybe a higher end hybrid amp will fit the bill better. They Lyr 3 would be a last resort because of price but it's not out of the question.

Leiker535

Definitely not looking for OTL. The Magni Heresy offers good performance as does the SMSL SP200. I would consider either or even the Asgard 3. The Lyr 3 is right up there in terms of power but much higher noise so it still only a consideration. I did enjoy my Xduoo MT-602 before I upgraded so maybe a higher end hybrid amp will fit the bill better. They Lyr 3 would be a last resort because of price but it's not out of the question.
I think the greatest bottleneck in case is the GSX only doing 1V out. Have you ever considered solutions like HeSuVi and a mic splitter to the back of the PC?

usern

Definitely not looking for OTL. The Magni Heresy offers good performance as does the SMSL SP200.
SP200 also has XLR inputs and could have the same issue that the rated power applies to XLR and using RCA the power output is lower.

Or get a XLR mic and audio interface which can both act as ADC for mic and DAC (XLR / TRS balanced out) for A30pro. Motu has been measured well here.

JazAV

Yes, the GSX 1000 is the weakest link here and you may have just opened my mind to a new route. HeSuVi sounds very interesting indeed! All I am looking for here is the 7.1 virtualization for gaming on headphones. If HeSuVi can do it, I'll check it out. I use an AVR to power a home theater setup but for night use I use headphones
Or get a XLR mic and audio interface which can both act as ADC for mic and DAC (XLR / TRS balanced out) for A30pro. Motu has been measured well here.
I think the greatest bottleneck in case is the GSX only doing 1V out. Have you ever considered solutions like HeSuVi and a mic splitter to the back of the PC?
Yes, the GSX 1000 is the weakest link here and you may have just opened my mind to a new route. HeSuVi sounds very interesting indeed! All I am looking for here is the 7.1 virtualization for gaming on headphones. If HeSuVi can do it, I'll check it out. I use an AVR to power a home theater setup but for night use I use headphones so I don't use the motherboard audio. I'm unfamiliar with the Motu.

How would I implement any of these into my setup? This is a new direction for me.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just bought a Topping A30 Pro to replace a very reliable SMSL SH-8s connected to a Sennheiser GSX 1000 for gaming - not because the SMSL didn't have enough power or wasn't good enough but just so I could have a 'little' more headroom on the single ended side of things for planar headphones. Once I swapped out the units I couldn't understand what was going on. The A30 Pro was not as powerful as stated on the spec sheet as I can max out the volume on high gain (because I EQ muchly). The A30- Pro keeps cutting out when using the Hifiman Sundara with that 'relay' click, then comes back. The SMSL has no such issues and I never, ever had to max it out, PLUS it runs super cool unlike the A30 Pro and my A90. I do realize that the GSX 1000 can only output @1 Vrms but hey, it's the same DAC on both amps. Methinks Topping are inflating their numbers greatly. This amp can't cope with what a supposedly less powerful amp can cope with. Maybe the SMSL's PLFC tech is just miles ahead of Toppings NFCA tech. It wasn't a bad experience - I just felt scammed by that 5.5 JIGAWATTS into 32 OHMS hype! I might go for the Schiit Lyr 3 for that headroom I was looking for...

Can anyone explain what is going on with this amp because at the moment I believe it to be trash... :(
Hello All,

My explanation is operator error.

Using the analyzer on my bench into 33R the Topping easily equals the test results reported by @amirm.

Thanks DT

EDIT: try the RCA inputs with the gain selector switch toggled to the high gain position.

usern

Using the analyzer on my bench into 33R the Topping easily equals the test results reported by @amirm.
Do you have the ability to test Topping A30pro with RCA inputs? Could you please test maximum output power with RCA inputs?

JazAV

Do you have the ability to test Topping A30pro with RCA inputs? Could you please test maximum output power with RCA inputs?
I already did. It's the same because it's actually a single ended amp internally. The XLR's are there for convenience. The 1 Vrms from the DAC is the issue and the amp doesn't like it very much.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the volume control knob of the A30Pro is for the front headphones outputs only and not the rear RCA/XLR line outputs?
Correct

JazAV

I took your advice and tried HeSuVi for EQ APO. It works flawlessly and exactly like the GSX 1000, but there are so many more HRIR's to choose from. Waves NX without reverb is also really, really good for directional audio in games. I can actually use my A90 and Bifrost 2 for even better audio in gaming as well as for music. HeSuVic just took a while to configure. All that was needed was another driver called 'VB Cable'. Thanks a lot, man!

I'm completely blown away! I've been testing it for a few hours now and all I keep telling myself is WOW! Jaw dropped!
FUCKING GREAT FORUM!

Last edited:

Leiker535

I took your advice and tried HeSuVi for EQ APO. It works flawlessly and exactly like the GSX 1000, but there are so many more HRIR's to choose from. Waves NX without reverb is also really, really good for directional audio in games. I can actually use my A90 and Bifrost 2 for even better audio in gaming as well as for music. HeSuVic just took a while to configure. All that was needed was another driver called 'VB Cable'. Thanks a lot, man!

I'm completely blown away! I've been testing it for a few hours now and all I keep telling myself is WOW! Jaw dropped!
FUCKING GREAT FORUM!
Np man, just make sure the VB cable and Ks repeater (if you're using it) are getting a 5.1/7.1 signal and everything is golden.

JazAV

Np man, just make sure the VB cable and Ks repeater (if you're using it) are getting a 5.1/7.1 signal and everything is golden.
I'm using the VB Cable driver but not the Ks repeater one. Everything works perfectly. If I'm playing a modern game with a 5.1/7.1/Atmos content/signal, it should work fine right? I hope I didn't miss something.

Leiker535

I'm using the VB Cable driver but not the Ks repeater one. Everything works perfectly. If I'm playing a modern game with a 5.1/7.1/Atmos content/signal, it should work fine right? I hope I didn't miss something.
If you're hearing the difference (it should not be subtle) between the different modes, then yes everything is working correctly. I'd try the same with the Bifrost or another stereo DAC because that'll be the final use case though.

JazAV

If you're hearing the difference (it should not be subtle) between the different modes, then yes everything is working correctly. I'd try the same with the Bifrost or another stereo DAC because that'll be the final use case though.
Yes, I can cycle through each HRIR to hear all the differences between them. Also, I've packed up the SMSL SH-8s and now solely using the Topping A90 with the Bifrost 2 for gaming and music. So all is done. :)

David_M

I've had a topping EX5 DAC for the past 2 months and have been happy with It so far, except for its weak headphone output running to my 25 ohms Hifiman 400se headphones. I have to have the volume at 90+ in order to hear stuff at comfortable levels. So I decided to order the A30 Pro that is arriving this week.

So, is it worth returning the EX5 and getting the Topping D30 Pro instead since every review out there claims the D30 Pro is the perfect sound match to the A30 Pro? It seems every review I see with the A30 says the D30/A30 as the preferred stack, heck, even sellers say the same thing.

Wuzel

I've had a topping EX5 DAC for the past 2 months and have been happy with It so far, except for its weak headphone output running to my 25 ohms Hifiman 400se headphones. I have to have the volume at 90+ in order to hear stuff at comfortable levels. So I decided to order the A30 Pro that is arriving this week.

So, is it worth returning the EX5 and getting the Topping D30 Pro instead since every review out there claims the D30 Pro is the perfect sound match to the A30 Pro? It seems every review I see with the A30 says the D30/A30 as the preferred stack, heck, even sellers say the same thing.

Why?
The EX5 will work fine, it's not a bad DAC at all.

The D30 bring no audible upgrade to you ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
So, is it worth returning the EX5 and getting the Topping D30 Pro instead
Well, is it within the return window? Disregarding everything else, it will a better aesthetic match so I'd consider it, yes.

David_M

Well, is it within the return window? Disregarding everything else, it will a better aesthetic match so I'd consider it, yes.
They have a 90-day return window, which ends this month but they'd be unspecified penalties I was told. As for aesthetics, the EX5/A30 and D30/A30 stacks look similar enough to me. Both black with orange LED displays. My question is would I get an audible SQ upgrade? I plan to run the A30 in off or bypass mode to send audio to my monitors and in HP mode for enhanced headphone listening.

Veri

Master Contributor
My question is would I get an audible SQ upgrade? I plan to run the A30 in off or bypass mode to send audio to my monitors and in HP mode for enhanced headphone listening.
Is there ANYTHING functionality wise that is bugging you? Or any weird behaviour on the EX5? If not, I would keep it and use it with A30 Pro. Sound wise they are both excellent performers and you'd have a very hard time discerning one from the other if both would be functioning as they should.. :)

Top Bottom