• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

platimn

My A30 Pro went dead today with the relay clicking. It's unfortunate because by all appearances this is a solid, well-finished unit. At least the relay protection means it didn't cause any kind of harm while I was out of the house when it must have failed. Now I kind of wish JDS Labs made a higher power unit.

Edit: BTW this was on a power strip connected to a battery backup and there have been no power failures. I can only presume there is a component in the A30 Pro responsible for its demise.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
My A30 Pro went dead today with the relay clicking. It's unfortunate because by all appearances this is a solid, well-finished unit. At least the relay protection means it didn't cause any kind of harm while I was out of the house when it must have failed. Now I kind of wish JDS Labs made a higher power unit.

Edit: BTW this was on a power strip connected to a battery backup and there have been no power failures. I can only presume there is a component in the A30 Pro responsible for its demise.

Did you check the fuse?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Makes sense to send it back if it's a recently purchased unit.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I posted this on the A90 thread but wanted to share it over here as well.

I have an A30Pro but the "what if" hit me so I ordered an A90 to compare with the A30Pro. To be honest, I can't decide between the two so I'm keeping both :) The A30Pro will get balanced signal from the MA mini-i Pro 3 and the A90 balanced signal from the MA X-SABRE 3. Not to mention that they look badass stacked ;)

IMG_8537.jpg

roshok

I am really in love with the A30 Pro / D30 Stack connected to Beyerdynamic DT 1990. I tried the SMSL SP200 + DAC last year but somehow it wasn't such a big upgrade compared to my internal Asus Xonar Essence STX Soundcard. The Topping stack however is insane. I am addicted to the clarity and crispness of sound.

I don't want to go back and this is why it makes me sad that this product already broke after 2 months of usage. It died with a "plop" noise on the headphones. Now when I try to turn it back on it's just clicking wildy, making sounds of relais switching. Luckily Amazon is ready to help me out on this one. Sounds a lot like platimn's issue.

I really hope this is just bad luck because I want the (replacement) product to be something I can use the next xx years!

elole

Hi, I use a topping d30pro connected to my jds atom. My listening volume with iems is when d30pro is at -25db and jds atom low gain at 10 o clock. Does that mean if I were to use an A30pro(lowest gain) with d30pro(-11db preamp), then I would likely be at 10 o clock volume on A30pro? I'm trying to see if the - 14db on A30pro low gain is beneficial enough for sensitive iems.

Noodles

Hi, I use a topping d30pro connected to my jds atom. My listening volume with iems is when d30pro is at -25db and jds atom low gain at 10 o clock. Does that mean if I were to use an A30pro(lowest gain) with d30pro(-11db preamp), then I would likely be at 10 o clock volume on A30pro? I'm trying to see if the - 14db on A30pro low gain is beneficial enough for sensitive iems.
Someone bring out a calculator ... or ... you can just try it yourself ?

sergiob

Hello everyone, I've just got the A30pro and noticed I can hear music playing even if the pot is all the way down to 0: is anyone else experiencing this?

Noodles

Hello everyone, I've just got the A30pro and noticed I can hear music playing even if the pot is all the way down to 0: is anyone else experiencing this?
Balanced or RCA in ? … and what gain and what do you use to hear it playin at 0 ?

Bal in, Bal out, medium gain - mine at 0 cannot hear anything

Last edited:

sergiob

Balanced or RCA in ? … and what gain and what do you use to hear it playin at 0 ?

Bal in, Bal out, medium gain - mine at 0 cannot hear anything
Unbalanced RCA from my D50s and into my IEM at medium gain. Can't hear anything if I switch to low gain though.

Noodles

Unbalanced RCA from my D50s and into my IEM at medium gain. Can't hear anything if I switch to low gain though.
Tried that, balanced as well and yeah, with my ikko oh10 i can hear it very slightly on medium gain and audible on high gain.
Well .... that's fun. Doesn't really make it a bad amp, it just makes it not ... amazing.

raif71

Major Contributor
I posted this on the A90 thread but wanted to share it over here as well.

I have an A30Pro but the "what if" hit me so I ordered an A90 to compare with the A30Pro. To be honest, I can't decide between the two so I'm keeping both :) The A30Pro will get balanced signal from the MA mini-i Pro 3 and the A90 balanced signal from the MA X-SABRE 3. Not to mention that they look badass stacked ;)

View attachment 158638
I take it A90 doesn't get as warm as A30pro ?

sergiob

Tried that, balanced as well and yeah, with my ikko oh10 i can hear it very slightly on medium gain and audible on high gain.
Well .... that's fun. Doesn't really make it a bad amp, it just makes it not ... amazing.
Sorry, didn't mean to ruin it for you :/ It's still an amazing amp otherwise, just not sure if that's an issue at all.

Noodles

Sorry, didn't mean to ruin it for you :/ It's still an amazing amp otherwise, just not sure if that's an issue at all.
I don't listen to IEM's on my desktop, so it does not really affect me... but i had been offered an amazing deal on a V280 recently...
And this just pushes another button to go for it :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

jdan1457

Hi can someone please let me know how much power the a30 pro outputs with RCA in and single ended out at 50 ohms?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi can someone please let me know how much power the a30 pro outputs with RCA in and single ended out at 50 ohms?
I would guesstimate around 1.5-1.7W maxed in high gain. In other words, should be plenty :)

saich

@JohnYang1997

Hi John I just bought the a30pro and d10 balanced, then I realised that converting d10 balanced to single-ended input would result in high thd+n penalty (as archimago documented in his review). Since the xlr input of a30pro is only for convenience and not in itself balanced (edit: my confusion on this part, the a30pro xlr input is balanced), would that mean using d10 balanced to feed xlr to a30pro will inevitably result in the same thd+n penalty? Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom