• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Very cool! I'm def interested in the D10 Balanced, I'll keep an eye out!

I do use EQ and would like to EQ the bass up a bit on these, but do know it will take a lot of power.

There's quite a few reports saying they need 4 watts at 50 ohms to be properly powered.

I would love to have a great all in one unit that had the power of the A30 Pro or A90, any chance a DX9 Pro is coming out anytime soon with a good power boost over the DX7 Pro?
If you want the power you gotta do the separates. It's really difficult to cram all that power into a small box and make everything perform well.

Yeah once you do the eq it's inevitable that you need more power. 6dB gain in bass = 4 times the power requirements. A30pro should still be good enough for the job.

Jman841

If you want the power you gotta do the separates. It's really difficult to cram all that power into a small box and make everything perform well.

Yeah once you do the eq it's inevitable that you need more power. 6dB gain in bass = 4 times the power requirements. A30pro should still be good enough for the job.

I will probably end up grabbing the A90 just to know I have the headroom for them. What is the balanced output power of the A90 with a 2v input at 50 ohms?

It sounds like either way I'll have to grab the new D10 Balanced DAC and sell my E30. The E30 has been a wonderful DAC though, great work on it!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I will probably end up grabbing the A90 just to know I have the headroom for them. What is the balanced output power of the A90 with a 2v input at 50 ohms?

It sounds like either way I'll have to grab the new D10 Balanced DAC and sell my E30. The E30 has been a wonderful DAC though, great work on it!
It's roughly the same as a30pro. And I don't recommend using RCA connection with A90. A30pro + a balanced dac is probably your best bet. Or better yet, if you get good level with E30 you don't need to upgrade. :D

Jman841

It's roughly the same as a30pro. And I don't recommend using RCA connection with A90. A30pro + a balanced dac is probably your best bet. Or better yet, if you get good level with E30 you don't need to upgrade. :D

cool, I appreciate the help and feedback!

out of curiosity, why would the A30 pro be a better choice over the A90 if I run them off a balanced dac?

Sharur

What's the best way to stack E30 and A30? Would putting E30 over A30 cause any thermal issues? I'm interested in getting the A30 Pro and D10 balanced now that you mentioned it. While I'm at it, how would the D10 balanced stack?

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What's the best way to stack E30 and A30? Would putting E30 over A30 cause any thermal issues? I'm interested in getting the A30 Pro and getting the D10 balanced now that you mentioned. While I'm at it, how would the D10 balanced stack?
D10 balanced is the same size as D10s. Doesn't match aesthetically too well but it's doable. Puting it on A30pro won't cause any issue.

Sharur

D30 is a bit out of my price range and includes features I would never use. Since all I want is 4v balanced out to max A30Pro, the D10 balanced seems like a no-brainer.

Veri

Master Contributor
From that site, the line-out of d10b is blurred. I hope they are not going to use the rca balanced connector similar to ktb2. Will they use similar line outs like that of A30pro ? From the comments I see someone posted a pair of 6.35mm to xlr cables.
It is actually TRS, long confirmed by now. It was blurred because of NDA, not sure why it is still. There are plenty of studio brand TRS>XLR cables around since it is a very common standard in the stage/audio field :)

Sharur

yes
It is actually TRS, long confirmed by now. It was blurred because of NDA, not sure why it is still. There are plenty of studio brand TRS>XLR cables around since it is a very common standard in the stage/audio field :)
All the ones on amazon are incredibly long. Do you know of any around 1 ft or less?

Jman841

Any update on where the D10 Pro can be purchased or it's price? The A30 Pro with 2v input is just barely enough for the HE6SE V2's, it sounds good but you can def tell the amp is struggling in the low end

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Any update on where the D10 Pro can be purchased or it's price? The A30 Pro with 2v input is just barely enough for the HE6SE V2's, it sounds good but you can def tell the amp is struggling in the low end
Emm it doesn't work like that. Either you get enough volume or you don't. Using a lower voltage input is not any different from turning volume knob down. It does not affect the amp itself.

Jman841

Emm it doesn't work like that. Either you get enough volume or you don't. Using a lower voltage input is not any different from turning volume knob down. It does not affect the amp itself.

I'm almost maxing out the volume is hte problem, I'm on High gain and can push it to 100% volume and still be at normal listening volumes.

I tested these headphones on my Atom Amp which is far less powerful and while the loudness in the mids and highs can get about equal to the A30 Pro, the bass is non existent.

Going from a max of 2 watts at 2v in put to 3.4 watts with a 4 volt input should give me a lot more headroom for the bass hits and my bass shelf on my EQ, should it not?

Top Bottom