Does anyone own a Topping a30 pro along with the Smsl sh-9? I want to know how they compared against each other.
I'm planning to get the smsl su-9 since I would be using Tidal to play my music (let me know if the d30 pro would be a better choice). I don't really care about the stack aesthetic, so mixing them up would be fine. The Smsl sh-9 is around $100 USD cheaper in my country, so I don't know if the extra cost would be worth it.
Planning to use it with a hifiman sundara(focal clear mg and hifiman arya in the future).
i also pondered buying topping A30pro but ended up with SMSL SH-9. here’s a few points to possibly guide your decision:
1. comparing them for SQ is a moot point as they are both stellar measuring amps! so its a matter of choice.
2. while topping A30pro is more powerful, the SH-9 is more than enough to drive my hifiman HE400i with still a lot of headroom to spare. so more power does not always equate to usable power unless you want to blast your brains out!
3. the SH-9 relay type volume control is by far its biggest advantage over the topping A30pro. it has a ridiculous amount of resolution despite having only two gain settings. hence it is very usable for sensitive IEMs.
4. so far i have not read any QA issues with the SH-9 unlike the premature failures of A30pro as reported by some owners. this is a major red flag for such a new product.
5. in my side of the pond, the SH-9 is hugely cheaper than A30pro by almost US$90 so another no-brainer!
6. in addition SH-9 is also a THX certified amp, has a nice remote and display and sleek form factor which is also sets it apart from the A30pro.
so there you have it. i am no SMSL fan boy nor am i here to bash the topping A30pro. perhaps if both were closer in price point without serious burn out issues then it would have been a toss up. sadly for me, the A30pro missed the grade.