• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

mariachideath

I have been heavily considering the D30pro/A30pro stack, and I am less then competent in electronic circuitry (although I can tell great music reproduction), but I find the weight difference between A30Pro and the A90 a concern. A90 is 4 times heavier. I wouldn't think the cases would make that much of a difference.

Does anyone share the same concern? Am I full of it?

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been heavily considering the D30pro/A30pro stack, and I am less then competent in electronic circuitry (although I can tell great music reproduction), but I find the weight difference between A30Pro and the A90 a concern. A90 is 4 times heavier. I wouldn't think the cases would make that much of a difference.

Does anyone share the same concern? Am I full of it?

Hello I have a A30Pro here on my bench, it has a nice substantial weight to it. It won't go sliding around on your desk unless it is your intent to move it. It is going to stay where you put it.

The A30Pro is a good size for your desk top. It is 6 1/2 inches wide. It is not so large that it will overwhelm your desktop. It will tuck in under/behind your monitor and stick out just far enough to flip the switches and dial the knob.

For size and weight the A30Pro is a good pick for your desk. It will even perch well on top of your Mid-Tower computer.

They should make these things to slide in a CD/DVD drive rack size space in your computer.

Thanks DT

Last edited:

mariachideath

Hello I have a A30Pro here on my bench, it has a nice substantial weight to it. It won't go sliding around on your desk unless it is your intent to move it. It is going to stay where you put it.

The A30Pro is a good size for your desk top. It is 6 1/2 inches wide. It is not so large that it will overwhelm your desktop. It will tuck in under/behind your monitor and stick out just far enough to flip the switches and dial the knob.

For size and weight the A30Pro is a good pick for your desk. It will even perch well on top of your Mid-Tower computer.

They should make these things to slide in a CD/DVD drive rack size space in your computer.

Thanks DT
The reason I am concerned the A30 Pro weight is that it MAY reflect component selection compared to the A90. There is just do much difference in weight but not in power.

I've been using exclusively an Icon Audio HP8 MKii amp and a Dragon Fly Red with either Oppo PM-2 or Beyers T1v2 for the past 5 years. The Fly was a stopgap until I got a better DAC.

It is time to change, but looking at DACs got me interested in amps and another set of cans again. I would prefer the D90 A90 stack. A30 Pro is too new so there is only one review (that I can find).

Last edited:

DualTriode

What ever twitches your ear lobes.

The A90 is bigger and weighs more and costs more. Buy the pound.

Thanks DT

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With all of those vent holes on top, you're probably not supposed to put your DAC on top are you or is that not a problem?

DualTriode

Heat rises.

Put the hot one, with all the ventilation holes, on top.

Check the temperature with your Fluke Infrared Thermometer. (or your hand)

rawrJ

Dumb question: Will dust going in be an issue? I assume they dont want you opening it up and messing around inside.

Veri

Master Contributor
Dumb question: Will dust going in be an issue? I assume they dont want you opening it up and messing around inside.
I've got lots of things with vent holes and hasn't ever been a problem. I figure the heat going out is better for longevity than the small amounts of dust that get in over time..

freezy94027

Does anyone know the power output at 32 ohms for a 2V single-ended input? I think the Topping website is showing the results from a 2.7V input.

DualTriode

Does anyone know the power output at 32 ohms for a 2V single-ended input? I think the Topping website is showing the results from a 2.7V input.

Take your pick; low -14dB, medium 0dB or high +14dB gain. There is a three position gain selector switch.

2V SE input has your choice of output voltage. The output voltage is not fixed.

x819

Does anyone know how to unplug XLR cable from the A30? It doesn't seem to have a button that pops out the connector

AudioStudies

Thanks, I was wondering if there was some fundamental underlying principle causing an inverse relationship.
There is such a fundamental, it is when a politician or government official says "I am here to help" . . .

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks, I was wondering if there was some fundamental underlying principle causing an inverse relationship.
It's because they don't need any balanced circuit in the chassis, all available room is used for maximum SE current output drive:
v3OQ0tr.jpg

Shazb0t

Can someone explain why the SE output power is higher than the A90 but balanced is lower than the A90?
Because the A90 is a true balanced output amplifier. It doubles the output power in balanced mode. On the other hand, the A30Pro is not balanced. It has a balanced output connection only for convenience, not because it's a balanced amplifier.

Top Bottom